Is CM dying?

Yeah, I will be interested to give BFC's take on modern warfare a whirl. I liked TacOps a whole lot for a host of reasons, so I am not at all hostile to modern era games.

Michael

If CMSF is any indication the new title will be a blast. I loved Shock Force. The best part is getting acquainted with all the really cool weapons systems and vehicles and such. Everything was new and exciting. A lot of the old CMX1 WWII guys were totally turned off by it but I was the exact opposite. It opened me up to a whole new area of interests.

Mord.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Modern warfare has plenty of "really cool weapons systems and vehicles and such.."

Yep Fenris, " ... lethality of modern systems will the new title may require bigger maps..." Might want to check out George's very well done Tactical Vignette 98-5 STEELERS. The scenario comes in three different ‘flavours’.* Map Size: 2.7 x 2.9Km but completely playable and fun on my older Mac!

Wodin, I suspect "Black Sea" will offer both asymmetrical and more balanced parties.

Michael, You will enjoy. Modern warfare a whirlwind of power and stealth. Like having any flavor ice cream in the store and as much or as little as you want :) Play modern RT and it gets very intense vary fast (at least for me).

Sounds like Placebo * Tank Hunter are in for the win as well....

Oops... I forgot... this thread was about how CM was dying ;) I got distracted by the TWO new patches Battlefront provided today for CMx2 WWII in time for the holidays.... never mind.... nothing to see here.... "Bring Out Your Dead!" :D

Someone once said CM is better suited for ww2 than modern warfare. Not sure I agree 100%, perhaps instead of just making bigger maps for modern warfare BF could look into increasing the scale to accommodate the fact so many modern weapons have far greater range.

I also would like to see Viet-Nam, Korea and modern day Asian forces added as well as the Middle East. While We're at it we may as well throw in Africa and contractors into the mix.

Since Steve mentioned Avalon Hill does anyone still have "Firepower" from 1984? "A game of man to man squad tactics from 1965 to the present" (1984). The only A.H. game I still have in my possession. Have not played it in a long. long time.

No but I think Steve once said he played Panzerblitz as a teen so perhaps we can owe part of Battlefront's existence to Avalon Hill.

This made me chuckle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25137093

Ashes Cricket 2013 game taken off sale

The official video game for the Ashes cricket tour has been pulled from sale after gamers branded it "shameful", "embarrassing" and "farcical".

Publisher 505 Games apologised and said refunds would be given to those who had purchased the title for PC.

The game had already been delayed by several months, and will now be abandoned entirely.

One games journalist said it was "clearly unfinished" and "didn't even have an animation for catching".

Yeah! I played Panzerblitz, among @ 4 or 5 other Avalon Hill games, as a pre teenage gamer. Before that I constructed a vast 4x8 plywood battlefield with little lead men. All got started for me when I did a read several detailed books about Waterloo one summer in a library reading program when I was very young. My brother caught the war game bug from me. He inherited all the games and little lead men I wish I would have kept for "nostalgia".

Then I don't have enough time now to play as much CM as I would like to, It is much easier and more fun to play CM than board games. I could set up vast 4x8 plywood battlefield with little lead men in the shop as my wife would not allow battles inside and the dog might abscond with the little lead men. They both disagree when I crank up the Z-5500 during battle now but battle sounds are sweet in 5.1 with a little power behind them.