Master Maps are Masterful!

Yep, bloody marvellous. Amazing work from Pete Wenman and Ben Donaldson and MarkEzra

I also like this bit........

Nijmegen master map-1925m by 2800m

''Creating the master map of Nijmegen was an intriguing experiment to see how a densely populated urban environment could be depicted with the new overlay function in the Editor. There would be a set of game engine improvements that could take advantage of urban combat, so this seemed an interesting choice.''

anyone smell an early release??

Yes they look fantastic. I am curious though, as they are quite large and detailed, if they will load and run ok on computers that are a bit older?

Yes, but I thought part of the point is that these maps can be broken up for smaller scenarios? Is there really any likelihood of playing a scenario on one of the huge maps - that doesn't seem realistic to me.

Yes, but I thought part of the point is that these maps can be broken up for smaller scenarios? Is there really any likelihood of playing a scenario on one of the huge maps - that doesn't seem realistic to me.

Yes that's true but the maps will still have to be loaded in the editor to be edited. I know some people were having problems with an out-of-memory error when trying to load very large maps earlier. Maybe that's been fixed now?

I am willing to bet that someone takes one of these gorgeous maps and tries to make a battalion vs battalion scenario. :D

Is 1:25,000 the preferred scale for original maps from which CM:MG are built? No matter what scale is needed, perhaps a section needs to be started on links pointing to these scale maps available on the net...just a thought. I will start it off -- doesn't pertain to MG -- but I am sure they can be as future modules/games are released.

1. Approach to Saarbrucken Germany, March 1945 with key to enemy emplacements:

A: Map -- http://www.trailblazersww2.org/Maps/saarbrucken1.jpg

B. Notation Guide -- http://www.trailblazersww2.org/Maps/saarbrucken2.jpg

2. Area west of Frankfurt a. Main

A. Map -- http://www.trailblazersww2.org/Maps/frankfurt/Frankfurt_A_M_West.jpg

Both maps a 1:25,000 scale

Yes they look fantastic. I am curious though, as they are quite large and detailed, if they will load and run ok on computers that are a bit older?

The way I handle it for some of my larger games is drop the graphics quality - just while playing on the big maps.

Normally I use Better and Better but on a couple of big scenarios I drop the quality back to Balanced and Balanced. Saves me from long delays and holidays and general frustration trying to navigate around.

I love the maps! There so much that has changed over the years. I life near Nijmegen and my wife works in Nijmegen.

What is also a nice thought isnthat I can't wait till the Eastern front is opened and I would love to see the Stalingrad map :D

That would be cool.

There is a down side thought. I can see the forum posts starting soon: "hey the house I grew up in is missing". :D

Is 1:25,000 the preferred scale for original maps from which CM:MG are built? No matter what scale is needed, perhaps a section needs to be started on links pointing to these scale maps available on the net...just a thought. I will start it off -- doesn't pertain to MG -- but I am sure they can be as future modules/games are released.

There already have been lots of posts about this, mainly in the Maps and Mods section of the forum. But in addition to what Pete Wenman has already posted here are two other good sources:

Topo Maps on Kaarten

Aerial photos of some areas of Market Garden

That would be cool.

There is a down side thought. I can see the forum posts starting soon: "hey the house I grew up in is missing". :D

Well I live in the area where the 82nd airborne dropped and I was born where the 101st airborne dropped. I also live about 20km from Overloon. Loads of history in my area.

The Arnhem Road Bridge area looks great.

Many serious wargames have depicted this small urban area at various levels of detail. This may be the highest level of fidelity ever achieved. What's more, the CMx2 engine actually *uses* this kind of fidelity and detail as no other game ever has.

Can't wait!