overdone pale war movie mode

unfortunately I have to agree - I was really looking forward to it - for my AAR especially.... but it simply doesn't work for me....

furthermore I left it up to the forum-members to decide which one to take - and they all opted for the old "comic" version :D

dunno, why it looks so much better in Bill's AAR - no idea how to get this the way he did....

It is known that he runs his screenshots through PhotoShop. Whether he tweaks the color as part of the process he has not informed us so far.

Michael

Michael the only thing I do in Photoshop to the images is crop them and add arrows, text, etc. I do not play with the levels, saturation or anything else. Not sure why it looks good on some people's machines and not on others.. could come down to the video card.

Bil

Yeah, Bil's screenshots are how war movie mode actually looks, and is supposed to look. If you're not seeing that, then there's something up with your settings.

Could be down to video card, OR video card settings. IIRC some testers had problems with war movie mode, then discovered they had their settings set to not allow war movie mode to work properly. Make sure you've got coloration, etc., set to "application control" in your driver settings.

At any rate feel free to provide detailed feedback if you guys don't like how movie mode works. Screenshots or detailed descriptions could help us work out what's going on for you. You may just not like it. :)

On a related note - GaJ, can you send me screenshots please? Might be something with Mac driver interactions.

Ever since CMBN came out some posters have been decrying the unnatural 'natural' coloring and lobbying for 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Band of Brothers', 'The 300' atmospheric war movie coloring. So you've been given the option of either seeing the game as it ought to be seen, or seeing it like a war movie/newsreel. Bill's AAR screenshots look just like 'movie mode' on my machine without adjustments.

Ever since CMBN came out some posters have been decrying the unnatural 'natural' coloring and lobbying for 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Band of Brothers', 'The 300' atmospheric war movie coloring. So you've been given the option of either seeing the game as it ought to be seen, or seeing it like a war movie/newsreel. Bill's AAR screenshots look just like 'movie mode' on my machine without adjustments.

I love it. I will never use anything else anymore that war movie mode.

Yes, it seems a bit ironic, doesnt it? But I think I know the explanation:

As far as I can tell most of the "complaints" about too bright colors came in relation to CMBN - not CMFI.

Personally, I didn´t like the colors of CMBN to begin with - allthough they are probably rather realistic, as you said Mikey. Luckily for me, that was relatively easily and quickly fixed, thanks to Aris´ great terrain mods.

On the other hand, when CMFI was released, I never felt any urge to install any terrain mod. Probably because the colors of the "scorched" Sicily were already much more subdued than in CMBN.

So now, when I use the movie mode, I actually think that the colors are too faded. I will continue to try it out in CMFI, but I don´t think I´ll use it regularily.

But I am really looking to forward to trying it on CMBN, where I think it will be of much more use than in CMFI.

It works for me using a Mac running Window 7 in Bootcamp.

The suggestion to double check your video card and monitor settings is a good one. Color space is a relative thing, so it's worth looking at your set up and monitor calibration.

I generally prefer shaders "off" when using movie mode. This makes the dark areas a bit more visible.

One issue may not be with coloration but with the toggle.

You can't toggle screen values watching your favorite movie. You start the film in their world and you stay in it. I can think of a few films that abrupty switch to color for flashbacks & such and the effect is jarring. You also see this in movie DVDs with extras and deleted scenes that hadn't been processed yet. Nasty! :) If you were to start a game in whichever graphics mode and just stay there the 'shock of the new' soon wears off. Look at Bill's AAR. If he were to insert a full color screenshot now we'd cry "Woah!" :eek: :P

Ah - the old 'this is not how it was in the war - the war was in black and white' syndrome. Got bad news for you guys. The war was in 'natural colour', with bright colours and everything ;)

Yes, 'washed out' was my first impression upon enabling Movie Mode as well. However, after fiddling with the Desktop color Gamma and Brightness settings I have got it down to the gritty SPR look. It looks really good and likely will be how I play from now on.

The only problem is that the adjustments are global and not CM specific. I have a Radeon HD 6700 and do not see where I can adjust the color properties for an application only. Anyone know? Thanks.

Ron,

I -think- that AMD's latest drivers, 13.4 (?) would support application based adjustments. The "think" part comes from not knowing if your card can do so. It should. Anyway, the Radeon desktop menu, Catalyst Control (?), may have something in it if you dig.

The war was in 'natural colour', with bright colours and everything ;)

Until there was a massive artillery strike that raised lots of dust. Being near a dusty road that was heavily trafficked would do that too. I wonder if in some far-off day CM will have selective parts of a map in washed out color if the right circumstances pertain.

Michael

A little bit difficult to appreciate this war movie mod on "Smoke em up" (night mission)battle of Gustav Line

Off-topic:Very difficult and challenging scenarios. Well done! I beging to learn a bit how to fight in scenarios "Italy" type (mountains, open terrain,etc)

Before beging to play CMBN, one user (sorry I don't remember the name) recomended this lecture:http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/searchterm/close-support/mode/all/order/titleand I learned a lot before playing the game and prepare tactics in Normandy. But...

Can someone recommend a lecture to "how to fight in urban scenarios"? Or how to fight in terrains like Italy(open and mountains)? In Gustav Line there are a couple of missions with urban fight and I don't know how to act.

Thanks and regards.