Accepted Skill setting amongst the community

I am interested in making sure I play this game on what the community considers to be acceptable in terms of the skill setting. I have finished one campaign on veteran but am interested in finding out what most people play "competitively" on.

What skill setting does the community generally play out its multiplayer games on?

I have jumped from recruit to elite and find the game a whole lot more immersive.

Takes a bit of adjustment having to deselect all your troops to get a feel for the big picture on the battlefield but once I tried the elite setting everything else just feels like cheating.

Not yet encountered tanks on this setting as im just playing a few qb with inf only but I suspect that im in for a few suprises when I start to mix the armys up a bit.

lol. One upmanship.

I am a little more casual than you guys then. I simply do not play this game enough.

I play veteran because I actually enjoy seeing the units as much as having things a little more realistic.

I also think you lose a little perspective that you would have in a real firefight using iron mode. The units on the ground should for instance be able to identify where MG tracers are coming from.

Don't forget 'Elite' is more expensive. 'Regular' will put a lot more rifles on the map if you're QB purchasing. So it depends on your needs. American forces in Normandy became notorious for cycling-in grass-green replacements (and NCOs) fresh off the boad into battle-hardened units, 'til eventually the only 'elite' survivors would be a couple sargeants and an infantry platoon or two who knew enough to keep their heads down. :)

Warrior. Anything above that is mostly UI embuggerance. There's a marginal disadvantage in C2 ranges in Iron, but other than that, the higher difficulty levels just make operating the game more difficult.

This. If I couldn't easily find out if that squad over there is a forward observer or whatever just by clicking on them I'd play elite, but as it is there's no real reason to go higher imho. Unless you really like mouse clicking.

Hmm, in elite or iron, you don't need extra mouse clicking. If you de-select all units (such that no friendly unit is selected), then you see EVERY friendly unit exactly as it is.

Not trying to push you towards a difficulty level that you don't want, but elite and iron really aren't harder than the other levels to play. Your men won't have uber-intel on the ENEMY, and they may have less knowledge of nearby friendlies (w/whatever that brings for morale), but the player has a smooth experience.

I shied away from iron for a long time due to my misunderstanding of how it would play.

Now, if you're talking about ENEMY intel (e.g., enjoying know that the enemy men over in the scrub is an FO team rather than scouts), well, then stick with the "easier" difficulty levels. (No perjorative meant with "easier".)

Ken

Now, if you're talking about ENEMY intel (e.g., enjoying know that the enemy men over in the scrub is an FO team rather than scouts), well, then stick with the "easier" difficulty levels. (No perjorative meant with "easier".)

Ken

I do NOT want to automatically know if an enemy team is an FO or anything of the sort just by catching a glimpse of some guy in a window 200 meters away, but when I last tried elite I could still find that out by clicking on the icon, it just wouldn't show up on the icon itself. Thus same amount of "realism", just more mouse clicking. Did they change this in a patch somewhere along the road?

Warrior. Anything above that is mostly UI embuggerance. There's a marginal disadvantage in C2 ranges in Iron, but other than that, the higher difficulty levels just make operating the game more difficult.

I agree. Anything above warrior is just less convenient, and not much harder IMO. It is like getting up to change the channel, or using the remote control. The end result is the same. I have played all, and prefer warrior, or veteran. I liked Iron better in CMSF where you still got the enemy icons to show. Don't care for it with changes for CMBN. Where they make a big difference is in RT mode. Not so much in wego.

Play the game however you want in making it most fun for you.

I also think you lose a little perspective that you would have in a real firefight using iron mode. The units on the ground should for instance be able to identify where MG tracers are coming from.

Iron mode prevents you from seeing what you would legitimately see in RL? I thought it was just limiting friendly units from having certain knowledge of other friendly units.

I agree. Warrior for me, unless my opponent starts the game at a different setting, then I just play on whatever he set it for.

Spot on. I have one PBEM partner that really likes iron so we play on that setting. I do not find it adds anything for me - except more clicking :rolleyes:

I like the idea of Elite showing only generic infantry icons but it is just not handled correctly, IMHO. The two problems I have with Elite are that serious threats that are not just some guys in the woods, such as AT guns, still only get the generic infantry icons. Bad, AT guns are not soldiers and if my guys have spotted a gun it should be reported as such. Which brings me to the second problem with Elite, if you click on the enemy unit you still get the detail information. What this means is that you have to click on any enemy unit that is spotted because you cannot afford to miss a spotted AT gun and since you are clicking on it you still get too much information and can tell the HQ units from the FO units.

If these two things were fixed I would play on Elite:

1) Spotted AT and infantry guns and mortar tubes should show the gun and mortar icons. If my guy have only seen crew then just infantry icons please.

2) Clicking on enemy icons does not say what unit / type they are just the specific type of tank or gun - if known by the spotter.

If these two things were fixed I would play on Elite:

1) Spotted AT and infantry guns and mortar tubes should show the gun and mortar icons. If my guy have only seen crew then just infantry icons please.

2) Clicking on enemy icons does not say what unit / type they are just the specific type of tank or gun - if known by the spotter.

Same. Would be nice if someone could forward this to the devs.

Some of that is fixed to an extent in v2.0. IG/AT are given "query-gun?" icons. I know it's not what you're asking for (I'd like that too), but it's a step in the right direction. I'm pretty sure BFC would like it to be that way (or something close) as well, and we'll see it eventually.

Some of that is fixed to an extent in v2.0. IG/AT are given "query-gun?" icons. I know it's not what you're asking for (I'd like that too), but it's a step in the right direction. I'm pretty sure BFC would like it to be that way (or something close) as well, and we'll see it eventually.

Interesting, the new FOW icons do give hints. I have given up on Elite so have not tried it in v2. My question would be this: when playing Elite and your guys think they have spotted an AT gun do you see the gun? icon? Then when the get a positive ID on the gun do you see the full AT gun icon?

In v1 you would see the ? icon and then, once fully spotted, you would see the infantry icon. Only clicking or zooming in with the camera would revel that it was really an AT gun.