Looks like Many WW2 Movies Coming!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch old war films, invariably there's that scene of a German (or sometime Japanese) behind a line of sandbags who gets shot as he's about throw his potato masher. The resulting explosion causes everyone to be flung over the sandbag wall as though they had jumped on a trampoline. Compare that to allies. Very few movie instances of G.I.s getting shot while throwing their grenades. And if they do they NEVER get flung over a sandbag wall as a result.

in my DVD war movie collection:

Korea War:

Fix Bayonets

Brotherhood of War

WW2:

Attack! (with Jack Palance/Eddie Albert)

HBO Bob and Pacific in their tin boxes)

Kelly's heroes

All 5 seasons of Combat!

ABTF

Come and see

Battle of Berlin

We served our motherland

Brest Fortress

Hell is for Heroes

Sahara

the Desert Rats

None but the brave

the Bridge at Remagen

SPR

das Boot

Thin Red Line

Vietnam War/French IndoChina War:

Apocalypse Now Redux

Platoon

Dien Bien Phu

We were soldiers once

Other:

The Beast

red dawn

Sometimes I pop in the DVD and just watch my favorite scene.

Like Grabner's assault in ABTF, the ambush scene in platoon, Ride of the Valkries part in apocalyspe now.

My 2 sons both learned to write from me having them write down the dialog from Kellys Heroes. Pause, rewind, play, pause , rewind, play pause.

'The Big Red 1' holds a special place for me. Not because it is a great movie (Lee Marvin very much carried the film). Rather, because it brings back memories of the golden years of childhood for me in three ways.

First, if there was a classic WWII film on TV, Dad parked the channel there. Most of my favorite actors come from those films (watching ABTF is like seeing old family again!). Lee Marvin links into that.

Second, I was right in the prime kid demographic for 'Star Wars,' so seeing Mark Hamill in a WWII film was ace.

Lastly, that movie was in heavy rotation in the early days of cable movie channels. I remember what a big deal that all was and the massive dish we had for our apartment complex.

Macisle

I felt like I was reading something that I wrote for myself. :)

I was about 12 or 13 maybe when cable came to my apartment complex. It was a really big deal going from just a few channels, to a cable box with like 30 or whatever it was. Had to turn a dial to change channels, and it didn't come with a remote.

Anyway, The Big Red 1 was on a heavy rotation at that time. I watched it many times back then. There are several scenes that I still remember vividly - like Lee Marvin carrying the kid on his back. It's been many years, so I'm going to Netflix it soon and I'm sure I'll still like it.

I have Big Red 1 on VHS. Maybe we all are about the same age. I saw it in the movie theater when it was released. I was born in 64 so ....

Now I have watched it a few years back loaded with anticipation but it was like an old girlfirend who you thought was goodlooking but when you see her photo you kind of cringe.

Now another in my VHS collection, "Castle Keep", has some weird/goofy parts but also has a certain tone that I thought was cool. Any comments on that movie?

Hey, it's cool that we have struck a chord on our memories of TBR1! Happy, happy days, those.

Lots of scenes stand out in my head. Too many to list, really. I think the one that has always stood out the most is the tank ambush scene, though. I could just never wrap my head around how the Amis get like one guy wounded and wipe out what--a platoon's worth of Germans?

I was still preteen when the movie came out, but stuff like that really annoyed me even at that age. So, I had a love-annoyance relationship with the movie from the beginning.

A few months ago, I stumbled on a director's cut on YouTube and watched one of the very early battle scenes that had been cut from the original. It was even worse than I expected. --Just comical.

I don't recall "Castle Keep."

The trouble I find with WWII movies these days is WWII has receeded far enough into the past that the genre has evolved into 'fantasy lore' like those old viking movies. Take Inglorious Basterds for instance. It was a WWII movie in the sense that we recognized the uniforms and the bad guys had German accents. But besides that it could have been set on a different planet. SPR was a stickler for detail but the overall plot - hunting down Mat Damon to send home to his grieving mama in the midst of the Normandy invasion - was sentimental even by Spielbergian standards.

The trouble I find with WWII movies these days is WWII has receeded far enough into the past that the genre has evolved into 'fantasy lore' like those old viking movies. Take Inglorious Basterds for instance. It was a WWII movie in the sense that we recognized the uniforms and the bad guys had German accents. But besides that it could have been set on a different planet. SPR was a stickler for detail but the overall plot - hunting down Mat Damon to send home to his grieving mama in the midst of the Normandy invasion - was sentimental even by Spielbergian standards.

I don't disagree. For me, SPR was a case of enjoying its many strengths, while forcefully overlooking some glaring weak points (like grunts talking philosophy while on patrol).

I don't disagree. For me, SPR was a case of enjoying its many strengths, while forcefully overlooking some glaring weak points (like grunts talking philosophy while on patrol).

I don't think it's unrealistic. Walk all day with a bunch of friends and you'll start talking. No one is shooting at you and you don't think the enemy is around, so you'll talk. They weren't a bunch of mutes, even though every step they took during the advance was basically in enemy territory before the shooting actually started.

They were on patrol--which is a process of looking for the enemy. Talking lessens your awareness and makes you much more noticeable to the enemy.

Actually, that one sticks out for me because I saw an interview with Spielberg once where he was asked what scenes were unrealistic. He named that specific scene for the reason above and for the fact that WWII grunts would likely not have such a conversation anyway. Basically, he wanted a vehicle for his thoughts on the situation and he used them. Upham was his primary vehicle for interjecting himself into things throughout the film.

So, in a realistic scene, there would have most likely been silence.

Failing that, perhaps peppery talk about pinups and such would be more like it.

I always thought that the most glaring plot hole in SPR is that they don't just radio his unit, or whatever direct HQ was available and assign the mission to someone nearby. Instead, we have a squad literally set out from Omaha Beach itself, and walk blindly across war-torn France looking for one guy who could be almost anywhere, finding him almost entirely by word of mouth. They didn't even know what company he was in until some guy told them, if I remember correctly.

I think there are so many unrealistic scenes in SPR it is hard to start, which is my main objection to the movies. It claims to be a veracious movie but has so many 'fantasy' scenes, one of the most glaring being the homely chat amongst the ruined cafe, hours before the Germans attack.

It's what I loved about The Big Red One, anytime the squad halted they usually ate, cleaned kit or slept. Yup, Fuller had seen the elephant all right and ihe never pretended his creation to be anything but a movie about men at war, and the absurdities that conflict creates.

I always thought that the most glaring plot hole in SPR is that they don't just radio his unit, or whatever direct HQ was available and assign the mission to someone nearby. Instead, we have a squad literally set out from Omaha Beach itself, and walk blindly across war-torn France looking for one guy who could be almost anywhere, finding him almost entirely by word of mouth. They didn't even know what company he was in until some guy told them, if I remember correctly.

True, but unless you're reasonably au fait with the D-Day landings, the plausibility disconnect of sending someone from OMAHA beach to the floodlands behind UTAH beach isn't at all obvious. Heck - how many folk are even aware that there were seven (7) distinct sea-borne landing points on the morning of 6 June, rather than just having a fuzzy notion of one contiguous beach with a bunch of paras landing somewhere beyond it?

I guess the same movie audience are not aware that the beach assault at Omaha didn't take half an hour, whereas TBR1, using the device of a dead soldiers watch. did. Sorry, the more I watch SPR, the more I dislike its artifice. Spielberg wants to have his cake and eat it, creating a film which seems factually authoritative, yet which plays fast and loose with history. It also should be condemned for spawning dozens of SPR-lite, gritty, hand held-cam, washed out colours, dross.

It's really in the same vein as Titanic, don't go to see that movie with a real ships captain, I thought wargamers were the masters of flaw spotting!

My biggest gripe with the beach scene in SPR was in how close to the sea wall and the base of the bluff they landed. IRL, the first waves at Omaha had to cover over 200 yards on foot before there was any cover, 200 yards and they were heavily laden with everything from extra ammo to extra rations to extra equipment. In the movie, it looks like barely a quarter of that distance.

Michael

Well, SPR pales into insignificance on that front when compared with The Thin Red Line. The number of times the main character went off with his... Consider the lilly... moments was absurd to the extreme. It was beyond a joke to think that a Marine under the stress of combat in the sh!thole that Guadalcanal was would be continually having these philosophical moments when the reality would be all he's thinking of is how to survive til the next day and get some food into his stomach at the same time.

Regards

KR

Sorry, it's not a 'damned good' movie in my opinion, and if swearing is your argot, it's a pi**poor recycling of themes that have been covered by better directors, I feel. Note the referance to my personal opinion, you might try that.

Now before I get over myself please explain why it's such a good war movie? Why did I care so little for the main characters and their fates, apart from Upham whom I wanted to shoot myself.

As for the TRL, the film was more like the Thin Grasp of Reality, and ruined superb cinematography with a 60's navel gazing trip, my wife wanted to leave the cinema, foolishly I persuaded her to stay. I think her revenge was Dr Doolitle, or was it You've got Mail, but I did deserve it!