Looks like Many WW2 Movies Coming!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the trailers the films look awful.

The White Tiger is an absurd premise, and the main attraction, the Tiger, has an incorrect hull, which i am sure will annoy a lot of CM players.

As for Saints & Soldiers, if those are some of the best action shots in the film i'll just watch BoB again.

Grace and Danger looks like a group of re-enactors with a reasonable budget and an amateur director.

The IMDB list has some from my wish list of WW2 movies, so fingers crossed they are made well, hell, if they just get the vehicles right, that could be enough for me :)

One WW2 film that does look promising is this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19109836

Although its one of those "romance in a war setting" movies, the director John Irvin, directed the BBC series Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and the films, The Dogs of War, and Hamburger Hill so his CV is good.

Compared to these even Saving Private Ryan seems like a good movie. And that says a lot.

At least the casting of Ryan knew, that fat people with even fatter faces were not common during that time :D , the special effects reached a new level, camera was innovative and the actors were trained to show body tension, not walking around under threat like during a walk in the park and didn't show lazy, degenerated silhuettes after decades of munching fastfood. :P

But since the masses are attracted only by the look, sound, gore, tits and certain dramaturgical elements like poor women being rescued, and evil and unpleasant enemies that deserve to die, this kind of primitive movies that have NOTHING in common with reality will continue to poison people's minds.

Have you analyzed one of these movies, you have seen it all.

If there is a wave of propaganda movies coming, this usually is a bad sign, especially if Hollywood is involved: then new cannon fodder will be needed soon...

The White Tiger is an absurd premise, and the main attraction, the Tiger, has an incorrect hull, which i am sure will annoy a lot of CM players.

As for Saints & Soldiers, if those are some of the best action shots in the film i'll just watch BoB again.

Grace and Danger looks like a group of re-enactors with a reasonable budget and an amateur director.

This is why wargamers and armchair history buffs can't have nice things .... or accept them, at least. Between costuming, FX, pyrotechnics, props and set constructions, war films are some of the most expensive films to make, and here we have three, and the first thing out of a wargamers mouth is "!@#$in Tiger tank doesn't look exactly like it in '44 ... the whole thing's crap!" :rolleyes:

Now ... if all three wind up like Windtalkers, then we might have a whole different discussion. :P

These films are intended to be moneymaking ventures, and CGI remains quite expensive, so their appeal must ofnecessity be to the proclivities, prejudices and sentimental nationalism of a mass audience. Of both genders, hence the artificial love interests.

The exception (sometimes) is when you have influential producer/directors pushing a political agenda, like Stone or Gavras (War / American Imperialism Is Bad) which demands a certain veneer of authenticity -- "keepin it real" to support its message.

Or those who simply wish to pay homage to Those Who Served by giving us a taste of what they went through: e.g. David Lean (Battle of Britain) or Spielberg/Playtone.

Whats with the hate for SPR and Basterds?

SPR has flaws, but at least treats the subject respectfully.

Inglorious Basterds was simply awful, respecting neither the era, history, the actors or anything else. It was simply an exercise for Tarantino's massive ego to play with WW2 props and costumes. I almost swore off Brad Pitt after that abortion, and I genuinely like the guy and think he's a good actor.

As for the three films cited by the OP, I'm afraid I can pass on all of them. The Russian film seems to be simply what they call over there a "serial" (multi part TV melodrama) made large - and with no better quality than the rest of the ilk. Which is a shame, because I've seen genuinely good Russian war flicks - this just happens not to be one of them.

The other two movies to me seem clearly ripping off the some of the stylistic and presentation elements of SPR without any of the redeeming features of acting and historic detail. For one thing, I'm sooo tired of WW2 women being portrayed to look like modern college coeds or someone you want to meet on match.com. Both films look like the best thing that can be said about them is that they gave some WW2 reenactors and tank owners some time to play war and earn some gas money.

Guess I'm getting awful picky and finicky in my old age. Or maybe I just need to change my Depends. :D

No idea why CGI tools aren´t used for creating credible WW2 scenes and movies. What can be achieved is repeatedly proofed by movies like Lord of the Ring ect., even when different themed (fantasy, SciFi). I could imagine credible Kursk tank battle scenes with current CGI technologies and way more. Too sad...

Totally agree.

It's your right and mine. Least it was last time I checked. :D

Ofcourse, I just forgot the smiley face :D

it just seems some grogs are unable to like a film if the tanks bloody turret is off or the film is a bit off what really happened.

If someone didnt like the film because, well it didnt fit your taste fine. But to dislike it due to trivial things like that and just call it plain bull I find preety dumb.

I find SPR to be a fantastic film, doesnt matter if it has "Das Reich" attacking nowhere where it was supposed to be during the invasion etc etc.

Same as Basterds, superbly acted film and a great story. Set in an alternate universe if you want. I treat it as fiction. I dont think it ever set out to recreate the period. No different to say Watchmen or Cpt America...

I can see maaaaaaybe how some might find it offensive, but it seems you ahve to be really looking for the offense in it.

Still, im not going to change anyones mind so...

SPR was fantastic. Of course it wasnt perfect, they are actors LOL. But it captured the feel of war both in the highs and lows. Watching WWII vets who were on the landing beaches come out of the theater crying says a lot. I think 95% of the armchair warriors who sit here and pick apart movies never saw any combat and base their opinions on what they read and see on TV anyway. Who cares if a Tiger tank looks perfect? Use your imagination...

I have no idea if these movies are any good,probably will suck, most war movies do!(If you want to LYFAO,watch Anzio).I just thought it was interesting that all these WW2 movies are coming out.And never judge a movie by its trailer!They still might suck, but you should watch at least the first half hour to determine it sucks.

Has anyone heard any updates on the Dambusters remake??

Also, I don't understand why all crappy WWII movies INSIST on forcibly inserting a "Love Story" into the script?? ... It's like the producers grabbed the script and rammed it in there. ..... Here are some examples. (although, most of these movies had bad scripts to begin with)

- Enemy at the Gates

- Pearl Harbor

- Red Tails

- And it looks like the two US movies are trying to do the same thing in these trailers.

..... and this new Russian movie based on Stalingrad looks to attempt the same thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(2013_film)

I have no idea if these movies are any good

But you did say the trailers were good :o

And never judge a movie by its trailer!

That's true, but in most cases the trailers are the best things about bad films, so when the trailers are bad, that's ominous.

They still might suck, but you should watch at least the first half hour to determine it sucks.

Half an hour is about a third of most films, i can usually tell if a film is going to be bad in the first five minutes, with notable exceptions, Basterds being one, i thought the opening sequence with the SS officer in the house was amazing, then it just deflated as soon as Brad Pitt and co started talking.

Has anyone heard any updates on the Dambusters remake??

Also, I don't understand why all crappy WWII movies INSIST on forcibly inserting a "Love Story" into the script?? ... It's like the producers grabbed the script and rammed it in there

Well, better a tangential love interest whose scenes you can FF through than to have women inserted directly into the action as minor characters or outright sex objects (often with creepy sadistic overtones) who are then usually killed because they're inconvenient plot baggage: e.g. Stalingrad, Cross of Iron, Guns of Navarone, Dirty Dozen, etc.

Remember, the "box office" take that these films rely on to turn a profit is heavily couples: "date night". And in exchange for subjecting Him to another Drew Barrymore romantic comedy, She consents to see an "action" movie as long as it's not TOO violent, and there's a cute guy in it. Also, the Titanic phenomenon has warped Hollywood horrifically -- everyone is jonesing to repeat that magical "star crossed lovers plus stuff blowing up (or sinking)" epic formula that crosses gender lines. With risible results.

Love stories are put in to attract a wider demographic of viewers. In this case, generally speaking, women. In general, most people don't think war is cool. You gotta put something in to attract viewers that aren't particularly into shooting and fighting.

Arguably, that's why most war movies have really bright pretty explosions and fighting usually pits a known individual who kills his opponents with skill and/or cool weaponry. This appeals to young men, most of whom are genetically programmed to be interested in fighting, and are aided and abetted by testoserone.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why officers, especially the immediate supervisers of the heroes, very often are jerks in war movies. If the average movie viewer is a young person in a crappy job, that sort of depiction of authority is something he will pay to watch. Think that's a silly? OK, how many war movies are there out there, where the officers have their act together and the sergeants and privates are a bunch of uneducated cowards whose lives wouldn't be worth much, without some decent leadership?

I say if you want to know about war, on a personal level, go make friends with some paramedics and spend a couple of night shifts with them responding to car accidents. Tells you pretty much everything you need to know.