Just a slight push

Ok, I´m a happy (and I mean it) owner of CM2 (BN and CWF). But I cannot get completely decided to buy Fortress Italy. Mostly because it was a front that never really gained my attention (although it had critical and brutal confrontations like Montecassino or Anzio, just to quote a couple of them).

FI is not precisely cheap, and also, I still have many scenarios to play with the games (BN and CWF) I already have...

I wouldn´t hesitate if it was "Market Garden" or Ardennes (any clue when will they arrive?)

So, I just need a slight push... For those who have it (FI), could you please convince me?

TY

Ps: Just a thought... I don´t like to call this game just a "game". I prefer to call it "really fun and interactive digital-graphical history book". Guess this definition is never gonna make it through... :)

And a BIG S to all the community.

There should be a demo soon, in fact I think it should have been here already but the programmers started their belated summer vacation right after the publication... in Sicily I bet...

Here's what CMFI gives you that something like Market Garden won't: Operation Husky, taking you back to 1943 which requires a different mode of tactics. Germans don't have Panthers or Panzerfausts but rather Panzer III's... the US don't have M10 Tank Destroyers or 76mm equipped Shermans, instead they have halftrack-based tank destroyers and there are Rangers and pack howitzers and 37mm guns and quite a lot less submachineguns overall.

And there's Italians! With WW1 tanks and all kinds of Giorgio Armani uniforms and what not... :D

I am of a similar bent, Sicily being more interesting but overall I have studied Italy a lot less than any other theater of WW 2. Just never grabbed my attention, but I have to say, I really really like CMFI.

Why?

Well I think mostly because it is so very different than CMBN that it is kind of like taking a break while still playing the same game.

The Terrain is drastically different than CMBN or CW. Not just the fact that the scenarios are predominantly hilly, but the ground itself is different as well as the houses etc.

The units are far different. No dreaded PzShk (which really sucks when you are the Germans). The Sherman is in it's element and you begin to understand why the Allies took so long upgrading. Other than a rare Tiger (really rare there being only a company on the island) there wasn't much for it to fear. The Italians while difficult to command are really interesting to try with.

The scenarios. It may be simply I haven't played enough in CMBN and CW to appreciate them (which is probably true as I mostly play PBEM now- and you have no idea how odd that is for me to say that). I was helping to test CMFI however and ran through as many of the scenarios as I had time for and was really impressed. These guys have gotten really good. Yeah we'd all like more AI capability for single player, but within the limits of what they are working with there is truly some very creative, smart and challenging material here.

If it were a financial decision and I had to choose, I'd likely wait for MG. However I don't think we have a very clearly defined time on that. If however buying one now and another module in say 3-4 months (yes I am still optimistic) is within your budget I'd say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

The only thing I can contribute is a rough time frame of when Arnhem won't be available. Certainly not within the next 2 months. Hopefully not too much longer than that.

Bulge is coming after Bagration (Eastern Front 1) and Shock Force 2. So not any time soon for sure. Fortress Italy's first Module will probably come out before any of these, but too soon to say about that.

Steve

The only thing I can contribute is a rough time frame of when Arnhem won't be available. Certainly not within the next 2 months. Hopefully not too much longer than that.

Bulge is coming after Bagration (Eastern Front 1) and Shock Force 2. So not any time soon for sure. Fortress Italy's first Module will probably come out before any of these, but too soon to say about that.

Steve

After the surprising August 1 CMFI release--figuring it would be more like the end of August, early September--I thought maybe MG by Christmas and EF by June 2013. Sounds like that might be about right.

Wow, just wow!:)

But the 2.0 upgrade for CMBN is still expected within the next 2 months, right Steve? (fingers crossed)

Also, I see you called the Operation Market-Garden module "Arnhem." Will it include the forces and TO&E necessary for the US and XXX Corps sectors of the operation? Or is it initially going to be only Commonwealth vs. SS + FJ, etc., i.e, the forces that fought in the Oosterbeek/Arnhem?

The R-35 has a special place in my heart. It was one of the first vehicles I made for CMBO. We named him Pierre :D

Yes, the Normandy Upgrade 2.0 should be out before then. It's going along quite nicely so far. Lots and lots and lots of artwork to modify.

Arnhem will have FJ in it from June-Sept, updated US and Brit Paras, Polish Paras, and various new vehicles. Still working on specifics of others.

Steve

Just buy it!

CMx2 has never run or looked better on my PC; the new game engine tweaks have made everything much smoother. I can now run large map scenarios with graphics options maxed out and have a decent frame-rate. I know you are going to say this will all come to CM:BN eventually with the upgrade package, but it's not here yet.

You say $55 is not precisely cheap. Are you kidding! I don't know where you live but I live in the UK and that amount of money (approx. £35 in UK currency) would not go very far. It's less than a full tank of petrol or the weekly supermarket shop. If you smoke it would buy cigarettes for about 5 days.

If you still need persuading, ask yourself how much you actually enjoy fighting in the Normandy Bocage. I personally hate Bocage maps - they leave you with so little freedom to manoeuvre. I much prefer the rolling rural hillsides of the Mediterranean theatre to Normandy.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

Now it will be far easier deal with my guilty concience :) (hope I said that right)

Thanks again.

Awsome forum this one!

No guilt. You OWE it to yourself! You've worked hard, been a good boy, paid your taxes and stayed out of jail! All reasons to celebrate by buying CMFI! Plus you'll get the Italians and all their weird, goodness. A bigger, badder version of the Luftwaffe. Some US vehicles that we won't see in Normandy. Some German vehicles we won't see in Normandy. Rangers. And the ass kicking terrain of Sicily...which will tax your nerves and challenge your tactics. It's been fun thus far and a nice little change of pace and scenery while waiting for the 2.0 CMBN upgrade and Market Garden.

Oh, and I like how the releases for the titles and modules are being staggered.

Mord.

the new units and terrain are great. the 250 qb maps are really incredibly well done. seriously. the new commands and additions also make it that much easier to play and I must say the CMx2 series has really hit its stride, much like how CMBB was more than just CMBO east front, the game series had come into its stride

the new units and terrain are great. the 250 qb maps are really incredibly well done. seriously. the new commands and additions also make it that much easier to play and I must say the CMx2 series has really hit its stride, much like how CMBB was more than just CMBO east front, the game series had come into its stride

When CMBB came out it was hard for me to go back to CMBO because of the changes that were made. Thats one of the best things about the way BF is handling CMx2, all my games will stay current with the latest fixes.

Can't wait for CMBN 2.0