First time CM player. Do I want this, or Battle For Normandy

I think it's gonna come down to interest level seeing that you'll be able to get 2.0 for Normandy in a few months. Right now CMFI has the upgrade and CMBN has more Allied content when counting the Module. But really it's what theater do you like best?

It'd be a hard choice for me. I am digging both very much. Italy is a nice little breather while waiting for Market Garden.

EDITED: Plus CW Module has Waffen SS and Luft.

Mord.

If I've understood it correctly, CMFI will eventually expand to cover the whole slugging match up the Boot - so with all the modules it would go from 1943 to 1945. So in that sense it's going to have a longer span than CMBN which will only be expanded to cover the battle for Holland in autumn '44.

There should be a demo soon.

If you're patient, I'd say CMBN:CW with the 2.0 engine.

It remains to be seen just how much interest there really is in Italy... everyone's different in that respect: for me it seems like just a side show.

That being said, what is this "or" thing anyhow? Just have both :)

GaJ

Wish I could have both, but finances currently require a choice, unfortunately :(.

I have not purchased CMFI yet. But I will when the download version comes out.

CMBN - Normandy is a great game. But some of the features CMFI brings to the table actually fix some really game breaking problems with CMBN. Such as being able to hide AT guns effectively.

CMFI will offer better game play if you are interested in the theatre I would think.

To me Italy is extremely interesting as I am sick of the whole private ryan and normandy business. CMFI is a breath of fresh air.

If you wait until they retrofit the CMFI features into CMBN that may be the better choice if you are more interested in that theatre.

First time Combat Mission player. Is there a reason BESIDES the 2.0 engine (since I'd be able to purchase the upgrade) that I want this instead of Battle For Normandy, or does it just come down to which theatre I'm more interested in?

When CMx2 2.0 game engines become equal, CM BfN offers a broader array of community mods and more campaign and battle scenarios. So, if more is better and immediate gratification matters, then BfN offers a bigger bang for your buck.

Otherwise, go where your interests lie and pick the game for the theater you prefer to play. Good luck and good gaming!

Wish I could have both, but finances currently require a choice, unfortunately :(.

You get a little more for your money when you buy the older stuff. They have the bundle package that saves you $10 bucks or so.

But with version 2.0 still a few months out, you might want to wait to get that once they offer the old games in the bundle and the ver 2.0 update.

So I would suggest going with the new game with all the latest toys, enjoy it. it will give you plenty of entertainment for now and when you find you like it so much. You can always get CMBN and the mods later when you have the money, plus by then it will be playing the same way as to what you have become accoustomed to.

I say: always go with the latest game engine, so you don't have to unlearn things. The new UI enhancements and other improvements in CMFI make the game more enjoyable and easier to play, so a better place to start, IMO.

Don't worry; there is enough replayablility in ANY of these individual games to last you forever (especially if you play human opponents)!

Normandy is ahead of Italy in terms of stuff available right now, thanks to the Commonwealth Module. But Italy will eventually have lots to choose from. Which means if someone is looking only to buy a Base Game for a while then Normandy and Italy are in the same ballpark in that sense. Italy, right now, of course has Version 2.0 features and Normandy (for now) doesn't.

Steve

I usually suggest you download all the CM demos (including CM:Afghanistan), play, test, compare. See what theater strikes your fancy and get accustomed to the gameplay before deciding. You may be a modern war fanatic and not know it! CMFI demo is still a couple days away. Me, I was sooooo happy to get away from those darned Normandy hedgerows! :D

I usually suggest you download all the CM demos (including CM:Afghanistan), play, test, compare. See what theater strikes your fancy and get accustomed to the gameplay before deciding. You may be a modern war fanatic and not know it! CMFI demo is still a couple days away. Me, I was sooooo happy to get away from those darned Normandy hedgerows! :D

I second this recommendation.

Bob

Is the finance issue short term or long term? If short term I'd get CMFI now. You get version 2 features and some pretty incredible stuff from the BF team including the scenario designers.

If a long term issue, then I'd go with the earlier suggestion to try the demos and see what you like. CMFI/CMBN and CMSF are all very different, but all have very unique and very cool stuff to offer.

The Bad: Too many interesting CM's not enough disposable money.

The Good: The Replayability factor is really large. I have all the various CM's and as I moved from one to another I felt I had never completely enjoyed all of what was available in each game.

You can be sure that if you are interested in WW2 tactics there is no better game available. What ever game you choose you will enjoy it.

As MikeyD said why not try the demos. You will quickly find what you like.

I don't have CMFI (yet). However, the one big draw besides the 2.0 improvements is a collection of maps and campaigns that will come with a more diverse topography. Normandy battles were basically flat and in many cases close quartered fighting. CMFI should see a change in some tactics largely dictated by the landscape.

I don't have CMFI (yet). However, the one big draw besides the 2.0 improvements is a collection of maps and campaigns that will come with a more diverse topography. Normandy battles were basically flat and in many cases close quartered fighting. CMFI should see a change in some tactics largely dictated by the landscape.

Just wait till you see some of the hills you have to fight your way up. Disconcerting to say the least. The screenshots do not do them justice.