Possible Upcoming Announcement

Mord,

I purchased CMSF, Brits and the marines..played it and then put them away. Modern warfare is not my gig.

cool, but some of us "dig it". No problem if you dont. I am deffinatelly looking forward to anything BF releases, whether it be the eastern front or a new modern setting.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, but some of us "dig it". No problem if you dont. I am deffinatelly looking forward to anything BF releases, whether it be the eastern front or a new modern setting.

No worries boche

BFC can't please everybody all the time I suppose :-)

Mord,

I purchased CMSF, Brits and the marines..played it and then put them away. Modern warfare is not my gig.

Ahh, that's too bad. I was surprised how well I took to it...just ended up fascinating me...probably fascinate me more when it's in a semi euro setting...though I'd puke and pee with joy if they would ever do a Nam setting!

Mord.

Ahh, that's too bad. I was surprised how well I took to it...just ended up fascinating me...probably fascinate me more when it's in a semi euro setting...though I'd puke and pee with joy if they would ever do a Nam setting!

Mord.

Yes Vietnam would be cool. I'm not sure however that the current engine would handle it really well due to the extensive jungle . The trees are a real frame killer in the current engine. They would also need to simulate Air assaults so helicopters would have to be visible on map..

I'm also willing to buy any tactical game BF produces, atleast anything from 1939 and on..

I recall a discussion sometime back...a year or maybe two ago...about using the CMx2 engine for a tactical, company-squad level American Civil War game. It might have just been us players talking about one, or it might have been BFC. I don't recall.

A neat idea, especially for modding possibilities into AWI/FIW skirmish-level games along the Indian borderlands of the Mohawk and Ohio Rivers, but the ACW at that level just doesn't work for me. It needs to be regimental based, like "Take Command: Manassas" but with what would be a lot better AI.

Add that to your wild-ass speculations! :-)

Combat Mission: Before Agincourt.

It's armoured warfare (to a degree and of a kind).

The natural terrain features are already done, and some of the building types.

The engine has lots of capacity for modelling accurate armour penetration on a 1-for-1 projectile/armour interaction basis.

Hit: Upper left front helmet, Penetration! ;D

Hit: Weapon mount ;)

Nice catch Eagle.

I was all ready to be annoyed as it appears to be another distraction from CM:BN which feels like its just starting to show its potential with lots of room to grow. The concept of the module system and relatively quick turnout of new content seems like a distant promise to my WW2-centric eyes. Still, Moon says that "You will" get more info about CM:BN in the other announcement thread so presumably there is still news to come.

But by any stretch, any iteration of CMx2 in the eastern front seems light years away.

Modern warfare is compelling, the death toll that can be dealt out staggering, and because of technology where the enemy/s will always know where each other are you always have think on your feet.

Drones, satellite thermo imaging, the land warrior system.

War is hell.

But seriously, its only compelling if you have a foe that can fight back.

The only threat in SF and friends is the ATGM, thats it. No wonder people wernt thrilled with it. It's boring. At times I even felt bad about the enemy situation.

step 1, scout for atgms.

step 2, assault and destroy them

step 3, mop up everything else with uncontested armor.

Modern warfare is compelling, the death toll that can be dealt out staggering, and because of technology where the enemy/s will always know where each other are you always have think on your feet.

War is hell.

The only threat in SF and friends is the ATGM, thats it. No wonder people wernt thrilled with it. It's boring. At times I even felt bad about the enemy situation.

step 1, scout for atgms.

Not if you are on LLFs map trying to subdue resistance in Homs. I'm friggin terrified as to where he is gonna sneak in an rpg. I just lucked out nailing one guy with a sniper team, but that was only because he gave away his position killing one of my SF team guys (and that team never even figured out where the shot came from.)

Map design is a huge portion of deciding how a battle will play out in CMSF or CMBN. I have had the good fortune to play in terrain created by two of our best and it completely altered my perspective on what is possible. As to "people not being thrilled with it". To each his own, but CMSF has a very avid community that is very much alive. personally I prefer WW2 era games, but I have to admit to finding CMSF pretty addictive.

A Central Europe 1980s game would be really cool, but I'll take whatever BFC comes up with, they have yet to let me down.

step 1, scout for atgms.

Have you played the modules or user made campaigns? TF Thunder is essentially "easy mode" compared to them. You often have to get up close and personal since you can't just level an entire village due to ROE. Also, when your entire company(+) force has one Javelin team, taking on Syrian APCs and tanks becomes a lot more tactical.

yeah, tbh I loved shock force Marines but I never modded it. I just discoverd custom content with CMBN.

That, and my point was I would atleast be engaged(pun!) more in a equal force on force action then counter insurgency.

War is hell.

step 1, scout for atgms.

Try the Nato and Brit modules for CMSF.You ll find some of the scenarios and Campaigns not so easy and not so Uber.Smaller squads,less ammo etc screw up with your infantry once or twice and you're screwed up big time.

I love CMBN but just can't stop myself from returning to CMSF ;)

Having only comparatively recently returned to WW2, it would have been nice to have refined what has been offered so far before moving on to something else.

You know, like adding fire and flames; modifying the UI plus all the little and not so little wrinkles and oddities that are manifest on these forums.

Not having tanks drive through and merge with each other would have been nice.

As it is using a physics model, I was surprised to see that vehicles went through trees. Maybe it is to do with complicated pathing issues for Pumas etc. through woods. I had a Puma stop at the end of a WEGO turn and it was in a perfectly impaled state!

Gerry

Having only comparatively recently returned to WW2, it would have been nice to have refined what has been offered so far before moving on to something else.

LOL. I'd wait until they actually said something before lamenting. One sentence from a French magazine does not the future make.

Mord.

As it is using a physics model...

It is? Is it really? It's patchy if it is.

...I was surprised to see that vehicles went through trees. Maybe it is to do with complicated pathing issues...through woods...

I believe a BFC "orter-know" confirmed that it would lead to nightmares with pathing, especially for the AI. AIUI, difficulty for vehicles in traversing woodland should be incorporated using different woodland ground types. Some trees on grass are as straightforward to drive on as the grass would be without trees.

As it is using a physics model, I was surprised to see that vehicles went through trees. Maybe it is to do with complicated pathing issues for Pumas etc. through woods. I had a Puma stop at the end of a WEGO turn and it was in a perfectly impaled state!

Gerry

It all depends on the terrain. If the terrain grid is set to "light/heavy woodland" vehicles will not be able to cross.

It all depends on the terrain. If the terrain grid is set to "light/heavy woodland" vehicles will not be able to cross.

I'm pretty sure vehicles can cross light woodland (possibly with an increased bog chance/reduced maximum speed - I always assume so and proceed with due caution). Heavy woods is impassable to vehicles though.