So is CMSF for MAC the big stuff that's been hinted at?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump

Any new news or guesses?

Maybe if i keep bringing this thread up we'll get more answers, or a least clues.....then again maybe not

Typically you will get lots of chatter, but nothing real until BFC is ready to chime in. Depending on how far out this big stuff is that could be a really long thread of:

anything yet?

nope

anything yet?

well I heard maybe that they might...

nope

anything yet

nope

Not sure if intended but this is a somewhat odd suggestion, seeing as they are recovering from apparently multiple hacker attacks right now. One of the reasons we do not run a matchmaking server is because it's a resource pit to keep it running, secured and efficient. We prefer making games :)

Let me start off right from the start by saying. I enjoy your products. I generally purchase all your games and modules. A company that has as few releases as BF can afford and should take this attitude. You simply cannot afford to take this gamble. Especially if you think the number of multi-player games would in fact be low as you claim.

While I am disappointed in the delay of Conflict of Heroes. It is one of my favorite board games. The move to PC looks outstanding. The match making service while involved and costly, will allow this product to grow and sale. Furthermore, Matrix games and Slitherine have merged. The amount of titles that are released is much larger. Almost all of these titles have mutli-player options. COH is going to be the flagship test product. I expect many of the current titles and all new titles to take advantage of this service going forward.

You have your business model and reasons for not giving us good matchmaking and they have a business model as well. I don't see the need to call attention to their issue of a beta product. Having been a long time lurker, I get it, you don't care about the multi-player portion of your product. Go make your games. In the end if its good product I will make a purchase.

I for one am glad someone is going in this direction. As a customer they will get more of my money as a result of this service. Hell, I would even pay for the service itself because its such a pain to play war and strategy games generally over the web these days.

igbee, I didn't mean to "call attention". They had the hacking on their front page news and I in fact only noticed it there after reading the suggestion here on our forum. So I commented on it for simply the reason that hacking is one of the major concerns we have in establishing and running a multiplayer service.

Another one, and just as important, is that we do not have actual MULTIplayer games. Most of our games offer H2H play, i.e. with two opponents. Finding one human opponent to play is much easier than finding dozens. The one game that does offer outstanding multiplayer (Empires of Steel) does have a built-in multiplayer service (and a lot more, in fact).

As you say, small companies need to be smart about how they use resources. Given even just the two points I mentioned above, our resource allocation at the moment is where we think it's most useful, for both us as a company, and for the players. We focus on the games, and once we get to co-op for the CM series (at the latest), integrated multiplayer options will certainly be on top of the priority list.

For the moment, the options are sufficient, though. There are online clubs and ladders, this forum (did you know about the Buddy List? Check your UserCP) and other options out there.

Martin

So, is the Ipad game the big stuff we've been waiting to hear about? I hope, not 'cause it doesn't do a thing for me. I am still not sure I believe it. But I guess if it brings bucks into BFC that's a good thing...if it's real.

Tell me there are bigger things on the near horizon involving the regular game.

Mord.

P.S. I had a weird feeling last night there might be some kind of announcement today.

C'mon Steve, while you are around give us an idea of what's going on with good old regular CMBN...here I was hoping all this silence lately was 'cause you guys were amping up the engine or something. The Ipad thing is like beyond boring to me BUT I do hope it gives you guys a nice cash flow. Just want to know that you got your heart and eye on the big show, CMX2 computer edition.

Mord.

C'mon Steve, while you are around give us an idea of what's going on with good old regular CMBN...here I was hoping all this silence lately was 'cause you guys were amping up the engine or something. The Ipad thing is like beyond boring to me BUT I do hope it gives you guys a nice cash flow. Just want to know that you got your heart and eye on the big show, CMX2 computer edition.

Mord.

LOL +1 on that, I've been offered an iPad through work and just stared at em - okay so I am supposed to carry this some of the time to not have to lug my laptop (how lazy we are now) but it can't do everything my laptop does so I may also have to lug my laptop for those times that I need .... are you feckin kidding me? Keep the toy. I'll keep using the real workhorse.

Now if it worked well enough for me to have carried on some of my pbem games on this trip...well now maybe you're talking.

From the announcement that CM Touch is storming the App-store-charts:

All the while, our focus remains firmly on the next desktop games for PC and Mac OS X. Watch this space in the next weeks for an upcoming announcement of what's next in store.

Since we have seen the fact of not so good models in the CW-module, i think this shwos that the main efforts are not on the next WWII Bulge release.

Therefore I guess the next release will be modern again.

Which would fit quite nicely with the planned modules, too.

CMSF2 (summer) next.

Market Garden module (autumn).

BULGE game.

I can't (and don't want to) see that timeline transpiring.

MG is next according to everything BFC has stated here in forums. Terrain and FJ OOB are the only major items on the agenda for MG, so it seems completely feasible to finish it fairly quickly. If it does go to other fronts, hopefully that will stay in the WWII era, and drang nach osten.

Hopefully it relates to taking a short pause and fast-tracking some additional engine improvements (like triggers, etc). That is what is where time would be well spent going forward.

I can't (and don't want to) see that timeline transpiring.

MG is next according to everything BFC has stated here in forums.

Did you read the quote?

Did they announce CM Touch?

Terrain and FJ OOB are the only major items on the agenda for MG, so it seems completely feasible to finish it fairly quickly. If it does go to other fronts, hopefully that will stay in the WWII era, and drang nach osten.

It would be not a good decision to bring out a new WW2 CM-game while still several modules for the old engine are in the pipeline.

But modern and WW2 are much less cannibalizing each.