CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

Actually it kind of looks from here like he has a goatee and is carrying a guitar.

He's a hipster GI from Seattle who under fire has abruptly come up with an awesome, biting trope for (another) ironic song about his ex-girlfriend and has taken a knee to compose.

Maynard G.I. Krebs

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report - great to see what some action looks like.

At one point you mentioned that you're not sure whether you can puncture the Jpz front on. Got me wondering: you you have onscreen the armour penetration tables, like we do in CMx1? You know - the nice little coloured bars around the tank in the status window, and the info window with the thicknesses, angles and gun penetration data?

I have to say that if that _isn't_ there, this will be a major blow for non-grogs (like me) playing the game...

GaJ

Something might've changed...but I kinda figured leaves would be removed. What I am really hoping for is a more destroyed/ravaged look...like with broken trunks and such.

Mord.

Yep, been wondering the same thing. The occasional falling branch and tree would be welcome.

Wonder whether the undergrowth gets thicker.

The Sherman fired one shot. It spotted the sniper unit in the first 2 seconds of the game. The range was probably about 450m. No other units saw it before it was knocked out. Most of my units were still in the back set up area when it happened.

Hmm 2 secs?..Is that normal? Is that a sherman textured Abrams? :D The sniper is not in a good position but if he didnt take a shot, how can a tank spot him that fast?

Hmm 2 secs?..Is that normal? Is that a sherman textured Abrams? :D The sniper is not in a good position but if he didnt take a shot, how can a tank spot him that fast?

Well, the snipe team was in the open and the Sherman didn't move to the position so it didn't strike me as odd that it saw it as soon as the game started.

The higher degree of fidelity in CMx2's terrain system does allow us to get rid of certain abstractions inherent with CMx1's more abstracted system. In CMx1 we had to assume that there was adequate concealment/cover within a 20x20m Tile, no matter what the Tile was.

In CMx2 we can be a lot more literal about it, which means if a unit looks like it is sitting out in the open without folds in the ground, small shrubs, etc. to hide behind... the system thinks so too. Having said that, there is still some abstraction in CMx2 system because even that can't simulate real world conditions exactly. Just far, far less than in CMx1.

Steve

I'm sort of assuming that the tank might have been in position and observing the area for some length of time before the game starts. Thus it could have spotted the sniper and been preparing to shoot just as the game begins. What's a little odd is that it fired HE instead of just hosing him with the coax.

Michael

Elvis,

Great thread! I love seeing it from each side as it unfolds.

I'm sort of assuming that the tank might have been in position and observing the area for some length of time before the game starts. Thus it could have spotted the sniper and been preparing to shoot just as the game begins. What's a little odd is that it fired HE instead of just hosing him with the coax.

Michael

I agree with the first part. About the coax, I disagree. Didn't Elvis mention it was around 450m away? Kind of far for a coax in WWII, no?

Thanks for doing this.

Ken

Elvis,

Great thread! I love seeing it from each side as it unfolds.

I agree with the first part. About the coax, I disagree. Didn't Elvis mention it was around 450m away? Kind of far for a coax in WWII, no?

Thanks for doing this.

Ken

I'm gonna load up that turn again to check both time and distance.

JEEZ! After reading this thread for a few minutes I actually forgot that I was reading posts on the outer boards. You've no idea how close I came to violating my NDA... :D Fortunately, the spell was broken when I read a post from Ali Baba and I thought 'when did this guy become a tester?'

JEEZ! After reading this thread for a few minutes I actually forgot that I was reading posts on the outer boards. You've no idea how close I came to violating my NDA... :D Fortunately, the spell was broken when I read a post from Ali Baba and I thought 'when did this guy become a tester?'

From all the posters it was me that you realized that its not the beta boards here? I'm depressed now :D