CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think a sniper would be better hidden.

*shrug* The model itself depicts no camouflage, ofcourse that is abstracted but....Things happen...In exercises it wasn't all that uncommon for me to spot enemy infantry lying still even at 300-400 meter ranges, sometimes through the hatch of a moving AFV with all the motion, sounds and exhaust fumes messing with your focus...Then again, when I did the eye exam in the army they ran out of letters... :cool:

Who knows, maybe the poor bastard had gotten a letter from home saying his wife and daughter died in a firebombing, hasn't slept in 3 days and simply forgot to watch behind him as he siloutted himself against the sky...

Would you have chosen to shoot at them anyhow, giving yourselves away?

How do you control this sort of thing in CMx2?

Ta,

GaJ

At that point it was out of my control because of the WeGo PBEM thang but that is a good question. Knowing how I play, I probably would have tried to get off a shot. But, as I said, it happened so quickly that it wasn't until the second or third replay that I saw it. And even then it was because I saw the icon briefly appear while watching something else. My guess is a second or 2 as a MG icon (and the man you see running) and another 15 seconds as a "?" icon with no men seen.

How do you control this sort of thing in CMx2?

Ta,

GaJ

Forgot this...sorry..

Issuing a hide order is normally enough to prevent a unit you don't want to fire from firing. Ordering a unit to hide and issuing a very tight covered arc order will prevent it from firing under all but the most extreme conditions. CMSF, CMx1 and CN:A are similar in this way

2 questions:

Are you allowed to post screenshots of the unit info (like the one for the knocked out MG42)?. I'm quite curious to see what equipment the soldiers carry and how that looks. Like, more interface stuff would be nice to get the feel of the game :)

Can tanks drive over the wooden fences? I'm not even sure if tanks in CMSF can drive through the low walls.

I think Steve mentioned recently that the UI graphics are still being finished so they aren't ready for prime time yet. The infor on the firing unit is that it was a M4 Sherman (late) firing 75mm HE.

Regarding fences, I forget what was or wasn't mentioned in the Normandy announcement but in CM:A tanks driving over walls and knocking them down was modeled.

So CMx2 has "covered arc"? I didn't know that - this will make it feel nice and familiar.

At that point it was out of my control because of the WeGo PBEM than

PBEM is exatly what I'm interested in. So I was basically asking "how would you go about telling your guys, at the beginning of the PBEM WEGO turn not to hide (because you want them spotting) but not to open fire unless someone comes _out_ of the woods?"

If the answer is "You set a covered arc at the perimeter of the woods" then.... cool!

GaJ

Forgot this...sorry..

Issuing a hide order is normally enough to prevent a unit you don't want to fire from firing. Ordering a unit to hide and issuing a very tight covered arc order will prevent it from firing under all but the most extreme conditions. CMSF, CMx1 and CN:A are similar in this way

If they have very good concealment you can also forgo the HIDE and just give them an arc. That way they continue to spot, but they won't open fire.

Very entertaining so far... aside from the new screenies the entertainment factor is mostly because of JonS's actions which I am having a hard time understanding. I'm not talking about the other thread, btw, just what I'm seeing here; I don't understand why he would take actions that reveal his units prior to them raining death on your guys. I can't wait to read his explanation for this.

Very entertaining so far... aside from the new screenies the entertainment factor is mostly because of JonS's actions which I am having a hard time understanding. I'm not talking about the other thread, btw, just what I'm seeing here; I don't understand why he would take actions that reveal his units prior to them raining death on your guys. I can't wait to read his explanation for this.

Are you serious? Two senile old men trying to play a computer game AND they end up doing stupid things? Who'd have thought. :D

REALLY good job, Elvis...I am hooked. Love the up close action shots! This was a great idea, thanks to you guys and BFC for doing it.

Man, you wailed the crap out of that sniper team...kickass screenie!

I have two questions.

1.) What is this guy holding? the only things I can come up with is a mortar tube or an unarmed bazooka.

whatisthisguyholding.jpg

2.) Do the trees take damage? like if an artillery strike hit in the forest would it break them and/or defoliate them?

Have a woodland fetish and was pleased to see some close up action in one.

Yeah, I am with you. The trees look great...much more robust compared to the desert! I have visions of Huertgen dancing in my head.

Mord.

Mord,

I saw that shot and thought the same thing... "WTF is that?", so I'm curious too! My guess is it's the 60mm mortar tube. We have some issues at the moment with soldiers inexplicably switching back and forth between primary and secondary weapons. New bug, should be fixed soon. In the case of a heavy weapon team the gunner's primary weapon is always the crew served weapon (code thing more than anything).

Steve