Your favorite vehicle in CM is?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Germans, like Panzer Leader, the Lynx is the favourite vehicle I purchase the most. TDs are the the favourite target.

For the Allies it is the Greyhound and Daimler. these "super-pests" have done well for me taking out light to medium German Panzers.

RW

i know they are so simple and some hate them, but i love the shermans, esp the sherman 75's or 105's. every time i pick my own, i get a few shermans. i just feel safer with them.

they are cheap so you get more of them. their upper hull deflects markIV main gun at times. they are killer as a soft target killer (esp the 105!!! :eek: ). the 105's are my armored car killers. i have by far killed more armored cars with sherman 105's than anything else!!!!

i love em!

Allied:

Daimler, looks cool

wasp, sets things on fire

assault boat, the only one you desperatly need or don't need at all

German.

Puma, looks cool

SPW 251/16, sets things on fire

If tanks are allowed

Allied:

Churchill crocodile, realy sets things on fire

German:

Wirbelwind, infantry be gone

"Not one of those bloody things!!" cries my opponent...yep its got to be the Churchill VII, can withstand a direct hit from a Panzerschrek, big gun for buildings and inf and a few "C" rounds for any armour that want to party and no annoying smoke rounds!!!!! smile.gif

For things that dont go "BANG!!!" i love the MG jeep, great for being a pain in the botty for uncovered guns. Was even better until they reduced its carrying capacity to 0, that sniper has to walk now :(

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Pud ]</p>

Ever since childhood, Puma, of course.

When I was around ten years old, I saw a hand painted picture in an encyclopedia. The said Puma was parked on a hill, with two German SS soldiers disembarked on looking down through binoculars to the valley where an enemy (Brit, Ami, Rus? Did I care?) column was passing.

For me, I've had great luck with both Hetzers and PzIV 70's. I especially like the 70's cause when you get those babies hull down, they are death to the Allies.

For Allies, I like the HMC. It's a small target and it packs a good whallop against infantry. I also enjoy using the Wasp a lot too because I like to set things on fire. Thirdly, like a lot of other people, I like the Hellcat a hell of a lot.

P.S.--I'm surprised no one has named the King Tiger as their favorite yet. I haven't got a chance to use it myself yet (how sad is that?) but I've gone up against one before and it was a real bitch to deal with.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Umm, hello people?

The Tiger tank. Enough armor to survive almost any encounter, but not so strong against tungsten that your opponents cry foul. Beyond having the BEST AT main gun in CMBO, the 88, (which is the only way to kill those damned churchill VII's), it also comes with a massive supply of HE. This makes it one of the best anti-tank units, and THE best infantry support tank in the german arsenal.<hr></blockquote>

i've taken out a churchill with a stug

now that i think about it, all the vehicles are pretty cool. the cromwells are good. hmmm ok i'll be honest i don't like the shermans. the stuh42's are great, and i can't wait for cm2, i'm going to like the rarity rule alot, and i can't wait to try out a kv-1, and try to deal with one as the germans, i aslo have a question speaking of cm2, under artillary where fighter/bombers are, will the germans have access to the ju-87's? they were pretty key in barbarossa

i have half a dozen favorites:

axis:

spw 251/9

psw 231/x (mostly 234/1 and some 234/3s but usually never 234/2s)

allied:

m8 hmc

greyhound

stuart

chaffee

this has been discussed before, but it is more gratifying to some of us to get the kill through guile.

with a panther or tiger you can engage just about anything. with light AFVs you should only engage the stuff you can destroy - infantry and to a greater extent light armor.

so with these lighter vehicles you generally have to avoid head-to-head contact with the heavier stuff.

in the case of the 251/9 and 234 series, you have to avoid anything .50 cal and up!!

a caveat with the greyhound is that the german 20 mm gun easily knocks it out.

so the gratification with these lighter vehicles is in the movement element required for their success. the can't fight at long range so have to use cover and movement in order to get within reasonable range, and usually at a side or rear angle to the target.

speaking of medium to heavy vehicles, i like the stugs, plain-jane jgdpzIV and sherman 75s for medium.

for heavy i like jagdpanthers and jgdpz IV/L70.

i like the speed of the lighter vehicles, combined with their firepower. the idea is to throw armored protection to the wind and use fire and manuever to destroy the enemy.

i imagine that is why a lot of people seem to like the hellcat.

by the way, that m8 hmc is the best deal in the game for 58 points, regular quality. that is if the terrain has good cover. if it is a wide-open map those m8s might find the going rough trading shots with a panther or whatnot at 1000+ meters. but if it is nighttime or heavy fog or the board is heavily covered, at closer ranges those m8s are deadly for their price.

sometimes you can outfit your force with m8 hmcs, greyhounds, and m3a1 halftracks. the speed and firepower of such a force will sometimes shatter an opponent's forces in a pbem.

i've found that with massed light AFVs you can often drive straight through an opponent who had no idea what you were about to do. sometimes i've advanced so quickly as to knock out FOs before they ever get a chance to call in fire.

it doesn't always work, but forces made up of fast vehicles are always exciting.

in creating a fast force, the germans aren't as capable as the americans from a price standpoint.

so in a fast german force for pbem i would include hordes of the spw 250/9. leaving the sdkfz7/x series aside, that in my opinion has the best cost/effectiveness ratio for a german vehicle.

andy

For Allies, those nifty Daimlier armored cars with that painful gun.... I love Churchills with 95 mm. guns, as well.

For Axis, it's a tought call. Probably I'll go for the really evil-looking Panther and Jagdpanther. I love the Lynx, as well... is just so cute :D:D !

I'd have to say the kangaroo APC. They get your reserve platoon to where it's needed, without hassles, quickly and no questions asked. They can even drive in close for a shock assault. Then they sit back and provide supporting MG fire. A very useful little vehicle for the price.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patrik:

Allied:

Daimler, looks cool

wasp, sets things on fire

assault boat, the only one you desperatly need or don't need at all

German.

Puma, looks cool

SPW 251/16, sets things on fire

If tanks are allowed

Allied:

Churchill crocodile, realy sets things on fire

German:

Wirbelwind, infantry be gone<hr></blockquote>

Is it just me or does this lad seem a little fixated on something?

Favorite Vehicle

AVRE, not because it is particularly useful but c'mon you can't beat that gun for coolness.

Favorite unit.

Red Devils, cool look and not to bad in the firepower department.

1.nothing beats the Jeep MG, I have at least one in every game.

2.then there's the AVRE, can paralyze any moving metal it sees.

3.Jagdtiger, if possible. Dunno, just great for scaring my enemies.Just for fun.

4.Chaffee, small, relatively cheap, nice gun.

5.RAM Kangaroo, good armor, relatively low, has an MG

6.Jumbo's, roll up a hill and watch