Jump to content
MikeyD

Ooooh... Aaaaah... CMSF2 homepage is up!

Recommended Posts

Yes, CMSF1 is our #2 best selling Base Game by direct sales unit count (with retail sales it is probably #1).  CMBN is solidly in the #1 slot for direct sales.  Obviously ;)  Even when we look at first 12 month sales only (apples to apples time comparison), CMSF1 is only slightly edged out into the #3 slot.  What edged it out?  CMRT.  As we expected, Eastern Front fans are more fanatical than most, therefore the game sold fast and furious before settling down.  Adjusted for time since release, Black Sea is our #3 best seller by unit count.

We've been very happy with the level of support shown for all our CM2 products.  Some pay for themselves a little bit better than others, but in the end it works out well for everybody.  I think we should put out T-shirts and bumper stickers that say "Have You Hugged a CMBN Player Today?" 😛

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes, CMSF1 is our #2 best selling Base Game by direct sales unit count (with retail sales it is probably #1).  CMBN is solidly in the #1 slot for direct sales.  Obviously ;)  Even when we look at first 12 month sales only (apples to apples time comparison), CMSF1 is only slightly edged out into the #3 slot.  What edged it out?  CMRT.  As we expected, Eastern Front fans are more fanatical than most, therefore the game sold fast and furious before settling down.  Adjusted for time since release, Black Sea is our #3 best seller by unit count.

We've been very happy with the level of support shown for all our CM2 products.  Some pay for themselves a little bit better than others, but in the end it works out well for everybody.  I think we should put out T-shirts and bumper stickers that say "Have You Hugged a CMBN Player Today?" 😛

Steve

 

Thanks, Interesting read! I was especially happy that my favorite CMBS did well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Strangely enough, we're pretty adamant about saving you guys money for real by not only making inexpensive Upgrades but also trying our best to make sure you know about them.  According to what we learned at the Capitalist Exploitation seminar (a secret correspondence course put out by Illuminati University) we are only supposed to make it look like you're saving money, while in reality costing you more in the end.  Something about it being the best way to keep the masses complacent and poor.  We keep forgetting about that part.  Probably why Illuminati University flunked us out, refused to give us our secret society rings, and didn't show us the secret handshake.  Dang, and we were SO CLOSE to being part of the world wide elite.  Oh well :)

Seriously, the support for CMSF when it was launched was huge and without it we'd likely not be here today.  The patience (most!) of you showed while the first iteration of the game engine went through major reworking was incredible.  We're humbled that 10 years on the game still has massive support from those who play it.  By game publisher standard operating procedures we should have released only full price CMSF2 products, or at most something like $10 or $15 off.  We're pretty confident that a very large percentage of CMSF1 customers would have repurchased at that price and as a result we'd have turned a normal sized profit from our work.  While there's nothing wrong with profiting (we are, after all, a for profit company!), for this one we felt very strongly that shouldn't be a major goal.  Breaking even is all we're shooting for with Shock Force 2.  Not because we have to, but because we want to.

Steve

But Dude, no good deed goes unpunished.  If you don’t keep us posted with guesstimate deadlines and a dev diary, it’s all going to go to ****! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Strangely enough, we're pretty adamant about saving you guys money for real by not only making inexpensive Upgrades but also trying our best to make sure you know about them.  According to what we learned at the Capitalist Exploitation seminar (a secret correspondence course put out by Illuminati University) we are only supposed to make it look like you're saving money, while in reality costing you more in the end.  Something about it being the best way to keep the masses complacent and poor.  We keep forgetting about that part.  Probably why Illuminati University flunked us out, refused to give us our secret society rings, and didn't show us the secret handshake.  Dang, and we were SO CLOSE to being part of the world wide elite.  Oh well :)

Careful, there are a few here who are going to take this seriously! 😂

On 8/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Seriously, the support for CMSF when it was launched was huge and without it we'd likely not be here today.  The patience (most!) of you showed while the first iteration of the game engine went through major reworking was incredible.  We're humbled that 10 years on the game still has massive support from those who play it.  By game publisher standard operating procedures we should have released only full price CMSF2 products, or at most something like $10 or $15 off.  We're pretty confident that a very large percentage of CMSF1 customers would have repurchased at that price and as a result we'd have turned a normal sized profit from our work.  While there's nothing wrong with profiting (we are, after all, a for profit company!), for this one we felt very strongly that shouldn't be a major goal.  Breaking even is all we're shooting for with Shock Force 2.  Not because we have to, but because we want to.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of your business model. Yeah, it's not the most flashy, and deadlines are more vague than most of us (including the developers) would like, but the end product is far superior to anything else out there, in my humble opinion. The fact that you keep all games operating on the same engine is worth the price of admission and hassle alone. Hopping between CMSF1 and the modern titles is more than enough to convince me of that. I'm glad I only have to chose which front/era I want to indulge in, instead of having to chose which features I can't live without. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

 😂

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of your business model. Yeah, it's not the most flashy, and deadlines are more vague than most of us (including the developers) would like, but the end product is far superior to anything else out there, in my humble opinion.

Well said. 

20 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

The fact that you keep all games operating on the same engine is worth the price of admission and hassle alone. Hopping between CMSF1 and the modern titles is more than enough to convince me of that. I'm glad I only have to chose which front/era I want to indulge in, instead of having to chose which features I can't live without. 

This is huge. I don't think we always appreciate how great this really is. Well, some of us forget from time and others seem to wilfully disregard it :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

instead of having to chose which features I can't live without. 

That day they announced the death of feature envy was probably the best day in my wargaming life. I was so pumped I could've did cartwheels. That kind of design decision for a game like CM is what battlefield dreams are made of.

16 minutes ago, IanL said:

I don't think we always appreciate how great this really is.

Not me! I talk about it to anybody I tell CM about. It's probably the first thing I bring up once I explain the game to them.

 

Mord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original CMSF1 may be an example of the curse of deadlines. I recall (perhaps incorrectly) BFC appeared to be under considerable pressure by Paradox to release CMSF1 basegame v1.0 by a deadline. Or at least that's how it appeared to me. The v1.0 release wasn't exactly flawless and a string of subsequent patches had to play catch-up. If there had been no external deadline pressure the contents of the first two patches (at least) would have probably got into v1.0 before release. Between that and Paradox abandoning support for CMSF1 after only a couple years, BFC seemed to have soured on the notion of alliances where they're not the dominant partner.

At least that's my own 'cracked history' interpretation of events at the time. Other's recollections of the same events may differ considerably. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

...deadlines are more vague than most of us (including the developers) would like, but the end product is far superior to anything else out there...

+1

Edited by Erwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Battlefront.com said:

  We're pretty confident that a very large percentage of CMSF1 customers would have repurchased at that price and as a result we'd have turned a normal sized profit from our work.  While there's nothing wrong with profiting (we are, after all, a for profit company!), for this one we felt very strongly that shouldn't be a major goal.  Breaking even is all we're shooting for with Shock Force 2.  Not because we have to, but because we want to.

Steve

Great outlook and no doubt one of the reasons you have kept such a loyal fan base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike that's how I remember it too. Though as you say, we can only say how it appeared to us here on the outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Battlefront.com said:

According to what we learned at the Capitalist Exploitation seminar (a secret correspondence course put out by Illuminati University) we are only supposed to make it look like you're saving money, while in reality costing you more in the end.  Something about it being the best way to keep the masses complacent and poor.  We keep forgetting about that part.  Probably why Illuminati University flunked us out, refused to give us our secret society rings, and didn't show us the secret handshake.  Dang, and we were SO CLOSE to being part of the world wide elite.  Oh well :)

I was at that seminar. It's required attendance before becoming a government employee. The coffee and donuts afterwards were fantastic.

I could show you the secret handshake, but it's a secret. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I spotted this; I just pre-ordered the Big Bundle: download+disc+manual. I've been waiting for this longer than most of you because I never got CMSF1 and am now playing catchup.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

I've been waiting for this longer than most of you because I never got CMSF1 and am now playing catchup.

It's a whole different ball game, in a whole different ball park. You are gonna dig it!

 

Mord.

 

P.S. If you don't dig it, I'll slap ya until you do. Your enjoyment is guaranteed.

Edited by Mord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mord said:

P.S. If you don't dig it, I'll slap ya until you do. Your enjoyment is guaranteed.

Since he pre - ordered Big bundle there might be a lot of slapping. Poor Michael....

Love,

Alice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just last night I was going through a pile of updated scenarios for the release (Beta tester privilege) and I was thinking to myself "This title looks good, this title looks REALLY good." What started life as a mere game engine update to an old title has turned into a polished first-class product to be proud of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Yes, CMSF1 is our #2 best selling Base Game by direct sales unit count (with retail sales it is probably #1).  CMBN is solidly in the #1 slot for direct sales.  Obviously ;)  Even when we look at first 12 month sales only (apples to apples time comparison), CMSF1 is only slightly edged out into the #3 slot.  What edged it out?  CMRT.  As we expected, Eastern Front fans are more fanatical than most, therefore the game sold fast and furious before settling down.  Adjusted for time since release, Black Sea is our #3 best seller by unit count.

We've been very happy with the level of support shown for all our CM2 products.  Some pay for themselves a little bit better than others, but in the end it works out well for everybody.  I think we should put out T-shirts and bumper stickers that say "Have You Hugged a CMBN Player Today?" 😛

Steve

CMSF2 Big Bundle will be very, very appreciated and purchased as soon as Discounted Upgrades for CMSF1 owners is listed.

Great News!👍

Purchased Windows for BootCamp to play CMSF1 on the Mac > 10 years ago. Had so much fun with the game, all the great mods scenarios, etc. . As soon as the Mac CMSF1 Big Bundle was offered I purchased release day. What amazed me was how having ALL the services in the CMSF Big Bundle greatly enhanced the enjoyment and options of the game. So many possibilities with so many services, equipment, etc.. The CMSF2 Big Bundle is the way to go to have a New Modern Best Seller especially if you already own Black Sea (& Battle Pack)... New Modern Nirvana :D

Buzz 

PS: If the user created CMSF2 Scenario, Campaign, Mods development is anywhere close to CMSF1 ... CMSF2 will be battling for many years to come in CMSF2🏆 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×