August morning

Placebo

Just played the small battle  August morning, and absolutely loved it - everything that is good about CM for me every soldier and bullet counts. 

Black Sea looks to a really good game overall the new tech is awesome, making me think in a very different way to my WW2 approach to battles. 

I loved it to.  

The command squad really distinguished themselves with the amazing way they ran like madmen, jumping and dodging the rain of grenades and arty fire.  That's the way to draw fire boys, and let the enemy reveal themselves.  They get a guest slot on Dancing With The Stars after that performance.  

Victory and no casualties.

No casualties.. Great ! Russian mortars killed the lieutenant's HQ unit and a few guys from the squad .. I couldnt locate the FO until late in the game . You couldnt stay put more than one turn unless you wanted accurate airburst mortar rounds down your throat. Made setting up a base of fire with the MGs problematic. To add insult to injury, once located, the lone survivor of the russian FO unit survived close range supressive fire and a few hand grenades directly on top of him to kill two of my guys with his AK

Edited by antaress73

Oh wow, thanks for that! 

***spoilers***

Very nice to see him have similar problems I did. But I always forget to use smoke. I also never considered going down the left side through the trees. 

I got waxed by the AGS and the HMG big time. Then on subsequent tries by arty as well. Gotta keep moving I guess. 

Great mission in that the enemy AI plans are variable (I believe) and the situation (as US, I have not played as Russia) requires a very fine balance between aggressive maneuver and self-preservation. The time limit and lack of transport means that the US recon force has to approach its objectives pretty directly, with little scope for wide maneuver. I noticed a setup zone that was obviously there to encourage the recon force to put a MG base of fire In the nearby tree line but you cannot dominate from here and you're vulnerable to artillery. There are no really good choices in this mission, you have to duke it out. Superb mission. I got a Tactical Victory, with all objectives met but took a bit too much damage. What exactly is a Tactical Victory?

A great scenario!

I had  some luck with spotting. Two precision mortar rounds and both the russian machine gun and grenade launcher were silenced. You have to love the one minute to call in support! I think that I finished the mission with two US WIA. Outrunning the russian artillery was fun. I think I'll replay it as the russians before using the other AI plans.

• 1 year later...

Late to the party, did not know Combat Mission was still alive -- played Beyond Overlord and Barbarossa to Berlin back then, then quit when Shock Force was released.

Bought Black Sea and am trying to get back in the game. But you got to help me out. What do I need to do win? I have collected the intel and moved to exit areas, yet the scenario won't end. What am I doing wrong? I am sure I am just oblivious to something obvious.

Thank you.

Exiting will not trigger the scenario to end. I have played several turns with no surviving troops too (don't ask). The game only ends when the time runs out, one side surrenders, you cease fire vs the AI and when both players select cease fire for multi player.

In your case cease fire would probably be appropriate.

In order to win that scenario, the leader "Kenc3kinov" MUST survive!!! (Russian, of course.) The other leaders are of no regard. Toss their puny lives aside if it will further your goals.

;)

(It was a nice Easter egg for a lot of us to have our names/forum handles included.)

Ken

this is a fun little scenario. Played it a week ago again, having forgot I'd played it late last year. 

Still fresh and fun!

*** Spoilers ***

The AGS waxed my FO before my MGs suppressed it, allowing HQ to mortar it into oblivion.

However, I forgot to thoroughly suppress the buildings near the HQ vehicles as my fireteam approached, with predictable results. Still major victory it, but it wasn't cheap.

I played this yesterday. A likable scenario, although I have some reservations about it. The setup of the red forces seems a little artificial to me. Without giving away anything to first time players, it would seem that the red force commander foresaw exactly what blue was going to need to do and set up accordingly. Given the backstory, that strikes me as unlikely. Given the personnel available to red force commander, why wouldn't he have simply gathered and either carried away or destroyed any sensitive papers and equipment and then fled the scene before the blue force could arrive? Also, would an HQ have contained an AGS? I honestly don't know.

One thing puzzled me. The game only awarded me a major victory even though I completed the mission with only one wounded casualty and all the red force were either dead or seriously wounded. I guess to get a total victory you would have to get away with no casualties at all.

Enough with the nit picking. I enjoyed the scenario and hope to see many more of this size in the future.

:)

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

I played this yesterday. A likable scenario, although I have some reservations about it. The setup of the red forces seems a little artificial to me. Without giving away anything to first time players, it would seem that the red force commander foresaw exactly what blue was going to need to do and set up accordingly. Given the backstory, that strikes me as unlikely. Given the personnel available to red force commander, why wouldn't he have simply gathered and either carried away or destroyed any sensitive papers and equipment and then fled the scene before the blue force could arrive? Also, would an HQ have contained an AGS? I honestly don't know.

Michael

Because Kenc3kinov would never tolerate such lack of blood thirsty aggressiveness. Flee the scene?  You even considered it and wonder why you only got a "major victory"?  Do you not realize you actually suffered a humiliating defeat even considering fleeing?