August morning

Placebo

22 hours ago, sburke said:

Flee the scene?  You even considered it and wonder why you only got a "major victory"?  Do you not realize you actually suffered a humiliating defeat even considering fleeing?

I just read this again and realized that once more your reading skills have failed you. It was the RED FORCE, not mine that I was advocating fleeing the scene. Sheesh.

Michael

13 hours ago, sburke said:

Ken, I think they just are never going to get it.  alas for the fleeing tendencies of this younger generation...though that doesn't explain Emrys.

Can anything explain Emrys?

A good commander is concerned with his men's well-being. Sure, a tactical "solution" would be to remove the intel and run away back to your base. Pshaw. That's a small solution. You see, a unit needs to have good morale in order to be combat effective. In order to have good morale, the men need to feel confident in their martial prowess. A good commander understands this, innately. Instead, I must explain it. Sigh. The men in the unit have self-doubt. They seek the purity of battle which distills the essence of manhood like no other endeavor. Without the fight against their enemy, they will always wonder how they measure up. They sit in the barracks, the redoubts, the bunkers, and stew in their doubt. They are unmanned, emasculated, and weakened. Only the test of arms will give them the confidence in themselves which is the hallmark of effective units. The red commander knows this and therefore leaves the intel available to the blue commander. He will allow the fight so that his men will become manly. Had this been their second fight, he may have taken their ammo so that only bayonets would be used. That would surely increase morale!

3 hours ago, c3k said:

Can anything explain Emrys?

True, I inhabit dimensions far beyond your ken.

3 hours ago, c3k said:

A good commander is concerned with his men's well-being. Sure, a tactical "solution" would be to remove the intel and run away back to your base. Pshaw. That's a small solution. You see, a unit needs to have good morale in order to be combat effective. In order to have good morale, the men need to feel confident in their martial prowess. A good commander understands this, innately. Instead, I must explain it. Sigh. The men in the unit have self-doubt. They seek the purity of battle which distills the essence of manhood like no other endeavor. Without the fight against their enemy, they will always wonder how they measure up. They sit in the barracks, the redoubts, the bunkers, and stew in their doubt. They are unmanned, emasculated, and weakened. Only the test of arms will give them the confidence in themselves which is the hallmark of effective units. The red commander knows this and therefore leaves the intel available to the blue commander. He will allow the fight so that his men will become manly. Had this been their second fight, he may have taken their ammo so that only bayonets would be used. That would surely increase morale!

Still peddling the same old malarky I see. Look, dead men have no morale and crippled men aren't much better. A good and wise commander picks his fights and selects the ones he knows his men will win. That is what builds their morale. When they are being massacred and know they are being massacred, morale plummets and they may even desert or mutiny.

Michael