Where is the "Heavy Fog" setting?

I'm trying to design a scenario, and I note that there is no heavy fog setting, a la CMBO. Is there any plan for this? The current "light fog" setting still has 100m of visibility..,is there a way to decrease visibility further? I need the pea soup stuff.

Frank

I "mist" admit to being a bit disappointed by the fog effect; I had hoped for hedgerows wreathed in wisps of vapor, more akin to the existing look of dispersing smoke, but slower to burn off. Instead it's just a uniform haze. I suppose it's another CPU hog, like illums and billowing wreck fires but too bad since it's clearly within the abilities of the game engine.

Having lived in Nancy (Lorraine) in eastern France for a school year once upon a time, I can attest that it's a region known for its extremely heavy morning fogs, starting in late September or so. They usually burn off by midday, but they would definitely be a significant battlefield factor for anyone wanting to use CMBN to re-create the autumn 1944 Lorraine campaign.

I "mist" admit to being a bit disappointed by the fog effect; I had hoped for hedgerows wreathed in wisps of vapor, more akin to the existing look of dispersing smoke, but slower to burn off. Instead it's just a uniform haze. I suppose it's another CPU hog, like illums and billowing wreck fires but too bad since it's clearly within the abilities of the game engine.

Yeah, the fog was one of the first things I checked when I got the game and I was pretty confused as to whether I was even seeing it...It's one of the few things that looked better in CMX1. I am hoping it comes across thicker and more there, when they add in heavy fog.

Mord.

I was hoping fog would stay within about 10 meters above the ground. I made hills to poke up above the fog that I wanted to hug the river. No go.

No biggie. Extremely minor disappointment that I figured would be a memory hog anyway.

Making battles start either just before dawn or just before sundown makes fog(or any weather variation) much more of a tactical variable as far as LOS is concerned. It depends on whether you want better LOS in the beginning or end of a battle.

If you want 50 meter LOS, you may want to mix and match some weather and time variables.

---

can anyone remember the name of the CMBO scenario where German and American recon units bump into each other in thick fog near a church? ,that one was alot of fun ,especially because you had no idea what was out there in the fog!

It was called "Fear in the Fog", I think. Fog is an enormous factor in the Mortain Offensive, which, of course, took place August 6-10, in Normandy. So it's in the games purview.

It was called "Fear in the Fog", I think.

Sounds right, I believe...they were US Airborne units vs some Mech Germies. One of Wild Bill's classics. Probably one of my most memorable CM moments of all time. I had a heart pounding duel with a bazooka team and a Panther that had me screaming at my monitor.

Mord.

I suppose this IS one of the very few problems in CM that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

If you had a heavy enough sustained saturation bombardment, that would emulate some of the LOS-affecting characteristics of heavy fog. :)

Definately needed! I was working on a Op. Luettich map (St. Barthelemy actually) and had to find out that there is no heavy fog in CMBN :(

Rokko: don't despair; perhaps after picking the nearest available weather condition you could try a different time of day, e.g. dusk to emulate the required LOS in fog.

LOS changes constantly during sunrise and sunset. I have not done any tables or tests of exact distances, but I know it does. "No Exit" will confirm this to any doubters. :)

Any additional weather effects will pile on more LOS variables.

Testing should be done in turn based mode during orders phase(duh, since you cannot do it during playback). If you try it in realtime or in the editor, the clock is running and LOS changes.

It seems unlikely that exact numbers can be derived, which I consider a good thing. It's a sim not a game... and sims, like life, can be a biotch.

----