"Would be nice" feature list

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe because I've just started moving in with Raff battle group at this mo', so I may have been missing them but... no Fallschirmjäger in Carentan!?! I can see they plan (please) to add the Waffen SS with the British expansion, but facing the US Army in Normandy there wasn't only the Wehermacht ...:eek:

Press Spacebar.

Thank you Dude! ;)

Point-to-Point LOS Tool

+1 on that - but: how should the game know at which height you are at the spot you are looking from?

Details...

Perhaps the default should be motionless (but not hiding) infantry. Another option would be to require the selection of a unit, first - just avoid placing the false movement point.

Point-to-All-Points LOS Tool

That would be IMHO a bit to gamey.

In most cases, I would agree. But it seems fairly realistic for the defender in prepared defense battles.

The observer height complication would need to be addressed, too.

My two cents :

About the gameplay :

- add a "armor cover arc" (pleaaaaaaaaaaase !)

- for each vehicle add a "destroyed" version for eye candy and immersion

About the User Interface :

- add some more popups to help the user (for example if you put the mouse pointer on a unit attribute, its name pops up (for instance : "Leadership modifier")

About the Quick Battle Options :

- add the possibility so select more than one option for each item. For example, I'd like to tick all "Daylight" options EXCEPT "night", so that CMSF would randomly select one of the remaining values.

About the Endgame screen, when reviewing the battlefield :

- show all corpses, including those of soldiers who benefited from buddy aid

- add a large and bright unite base for all units (active or injured/dead) to make them easier to spot (at the moment, it's a real PITA to find them !!!)

- make buildings transparent if there is a unit inside

About 2 players LAN/Internet :

- add turn replay (I know it has been discussed before & there are some technical difficulties about that, but it's definitely on the top of my wishlist)

Add to the graphic department personnel so that Dan does not get overworked, reason;

Any extra decals for even higher immersion factor:

-- different and higher degree of deformable terrain/units depending on state of repair/damage/

-- more variation and improved, higher degree of lifelike soldier animations: (eg. onfire tank crew bailing out at speed, more varied death animations)

-- higher quality and varied impact/explosion sequences and impact graphichs

-- tracks left behind on soft ground due to tanks traversing

-- higher degree of graphic animations for various size buildings taking damage and collapsing.

Add to the graphic department personnel so that Dan does not get overworked, reason;

Any extra decals for even higher immersion factor:

-- different and higher degree of deformable terrain/units depending on state of repair/damage/

-- more variation and improved, higher degree of lifelike soldier animations: (eg. onfire tank crew bailing out at speed, more varied death animations)

-- higher quality and varied impact/explosion sequences and impact graphichs

-- higher degree of graphic animations for various size buildings taking damage and collapsing.

I like these and will throw in, when a tank is immobilized by a hit to the running gear it run the tracks off the rollers.

Also could we fix the dead guys that are leaning at 45 degrees, it freaks me out.

When ordering a team or squad to fire at a target some kind of indication of who in the team or squad has LOS to the target that you ordered them to fire at.

Indirectly that is available in the UI. If you watch the green status message in the left corner, there will be soldiers who are "aiming", "reloading", or "firing". Hovering your cursor over the UI will highlight the base of the soldier and turn his status from green to white.

The others will be "spotting", "planning", "hiding", and so forth.

Yeah, but I'd like to see crews imbued with the ability to jump out and repair their tracks in the middle of a battle first, a la Achtung Panzer (nothing special, when the area is secure the crew hops out and starts wailing on their running-gear with hammers, a little while later they're good to go). And the way a broken track would unravel as the tank drove on, and leave it driving in circles was terrific. It's not like CMBN has nothing to learn from other games :)

Repairing a broken track was an involved operation. The likelihood that it could be done in the time allotted to a BN game, and under fire, is vanishingly small. Either Achtung Panzer operates on a different scale from CM or they simply got it wrong.

Michael

Yeah, AP had it wrong - it was generally far too quick an operation; I want to stress that I thought it was mildly broken, but amusing and endearing all the same. But, Some prangs are easier to fix than others, and if I have >=1hr on the clock I'd appreciate someone putting in the effort - just abstract certain types of damage/boggings - is it irreparable? Or something fixable with a little bit of elbow grease? As commander I don't appreciate my vehicles getting bogged/disabled and having the crews do nothing about it - no point arguing that it didn't happen, even under fire. Vet crews could change a track in under half an hour, even on Tigers. These are things I think should be considered within the framework of this game, realism does not argue against it's presence - it demands it.

I would admit crews repairing their bogged or whatever vehicles in the chaotic haste of battle only if it comes automatically as a sort of Easter Egg: I'm already too busy commandeering those empty ammo mortar crews to occupy the best conquered buildings for my next CP...:P

But seriously, I want my prisoners back! Eventually a detachment of MPs to make them start cleaning up the mess they made in the battle, and start building a fenced PoW camp... of course I would need some form of management from the International Red Cross Organization, S-2 Regimental detachment and a Court Martial too: IMHO this would be a must for the next addon.

Vet crews could change a track in under half an hour, even on Tigers.

...Once the battle had moved on or the tank had been towed back from the firing line. All this is just beyond the scope of CM and I doubt very much that BFC will ever change that fact.

But you can beg for it all day if that's what floats your boat.

;)

Michael

...Once the battle had moved on or the tank had been towed back from the firing line. All this is just beyond the scope of CM and I doubt very much that BFC will ever change that fact.

But you can beg for it all day if that's what floats your boat.

;)

Michael

Beg? Spare me the condescending tones.. we have battalion-sized formations, four-hour battles, fields over two square kilometers in size, campaigns with carried-over forces, at what point exactly does the scope of CM become adequate to warrant the important tactical consideration of vehicle recovery?

Without bothering to drag up the voluminous amounts of info surrounding the subject, I'll say it fully justifies being raised in the "things you'd like see" thread, your objections are pretty unconvincing to me.

I want socks. They would need to be individually tracked as pairs get separated etc, but dry socks would be critical at reducing casualties in a campaign during the Bulge from frostbite, trenchfoot etc. Eventually when we get to the eastern front winter clothing in general should be tracked.

and yes I am kidding.

In the artillery menu when you click on an on-map mortar that is in contact and ready the mortar unit is highlightned.

But nothing happens if you click on unready or without contact mortars.

It would be nice if those were highlightened too, so you would know where the unit is and its status relative to the caller.

Light sabres please.

Light Sabres? I think not.

Sabres, where the effect is produced by a curved cutting edge had been abandonned long before WW2. The last light sabre in UK service was the one introduced in 1853 and proved ineffectual in the Crimea a short while afterwards (there were complaints that it turned too easily in the hand and was in any case incapable of cutting through the thick Russian overcoats).

Thereafter, the UK, and most other major military nations, gradually switched over to the cavalry sword that produced the effect by thrusting with the point (thus rediscovering something that the Romans knew - six inches of point is worth any amount of length).

For the Brits the cavalry sword reached its apogee with the 1908 pattern. This had a 35inch narrow blade with a pistol style grip designed to prevent it buckling under the pressure of the thrust. A similar but more ornate sword was issued to officers from 1912.

In 1913 the yanks adopted the Patton Sabre (designed by the man himself, then a colonel). Despite its name it was in fact a straight sword of very similar design to the British 1908 pattern.

So I don't think it would be appropriate to have light sabres in CMBN.

Light Sabres? I think not.

Sabres, where the effect is produced by a curved cutting edge had been abandonned long before WW2. The last light sabre in UK service was the one introduced in 1853 and proved ineffectual in the Crimea a short while afterwards (there were complaints that it turned too easily in the hand and was in any case incapable of cutting through the thick Russian overcoats).

Thereafter, the UK, and most other major military nations, gradually switched over to the cavalry sword that produced the effect by thrusting with the point (thus rediscovering something that the Romans knew - six inches of point is worth any amount of length).

For the Brits the cavalry sword reached its apogee with the 1908 pattern. This had a 35inch narrow blade with a pistol style grip designed to prevent it buckling under the pressure of the thrust. A similar but more ornate sword was issued to officers from 1912.

In 1913 the yanks adopted the Patton Sabre (designed by the man himself, then a colonel). Despite its name it was in fact a straight sword of very similar design to the British 1908 pattern.

So I don't think it would be appropriate to have light sabres in CMBN.

What about Blasters then ?