Simple things I love

That your unit goes behind cover automatically. I love this behaviour and I know that only from Men of War and COH...

I can not say it enough. COH is the best Real Time Tactical game (without demand to be realistic) and CM:BN is now the best Squad (or should I say Platoon?!?) Based Tactical realistic Wargame for me! :D THX Relic and BF for those two games!

Im enjoying the continuity of the core units from battle to battle during a Campaign , just seeing the same troops , the squads attrition and ongoing kill stats in great. "Devils' Decent" Campaign (downloadable from the repository) so far is the best example of this. The more continuity between battles the better , really hope BF can spent time developing this even more in future.

I love the simplicity yet depth of the HUD interface. When you click on your unit, you look at a very well laid out panel of information. In an instant, you can tell what your squad/vehicle is made up of (weapons, armor, damage), how much ammo left, morale, experience, battle status. Great lay out, and pretty to look at. Superb form and function.

And no command delays, so you can plot an intricate movement of a truck all the way across the map, round tight bends etc. without it being 224 seconds before he starts moving :)

All of the above features are very good but this one is my favorite as well. And it's fairly easy to keep an armored column from bunching up if you plot them carefully. I haven't had a traffic jam yet!!!

Watching my 82nd Airborne (in authentic uniforms now) patrol spot enemy, hit the dirt, unleash a murderous volley or two, then fall back through a hedgerow (with the assault command, they even leave a couple of men behind to cover the retreat). Then after they've pulled behind the hedgerow, one brave trooper raises his Garand, aims through the gap, tand akes a parting shot.

Watching my AI plan troops use their vehicles and infantry in a realistic leapfrog manner.

Noticing that HQs stay in the back and do not move out until they have some folks in front, while still staying(mostly) in C2.

The AI is awesome.

From the player end, it has to be the no command delays for my fave.

Watching my 82nd Airborne (in authentic uniforms now) patrol spot enemy, hit the dirt, unleash a murderous volley or two, then fall back through a hedgerow (with the assault command, they even leave a couple of men behind to cover the retreat). Then after they've pulled behind the hedgerow, one brave trooper raises his Garand, aims through the gap, tand akes a parting shot.

There's lots of "little" things I like on the technical side---UI info, C&C function, etc---but it's the amazing "cinematic" detail of the gameplay itself, as in this example, that gets me. (Which I suppose isn't at all a "little thing" to accomplish :))

I just related this story to a CMBN-playing friend:

Was watching a replay and saw a Lieutenant (sole survivor of his HQ unit) giving a buddy first aid while taking a not-insignificant amount of small arms fire from less than about 70m away. He finished his work, calmly took aim with his M1, and dropped the two guys who's been firing at him with (I think) three shots.

Guy had ice water in his veins. First thing I thought was "Lieutenant Spears?"* :D

*Band of Brothers reference

Units flee more intelligently (most of the times). I saw a broken unit trapped on an open field near bocage and I thought I would get them all. Instead they fled TOWARDS the incoming fire for a few meters and then slipped through an opening in the bocage to the other side out of LOS.

- Peeling off an AT or Scout detail from your squad.

- The new power and versatility of on-map mortar crews. You can keep them in the background for fire missions or keep them moving right along close behind the firing line for close support .... either option is seriously deadly if deployed correctly!

- Buddy-Aid!

There's lots of "little" things I like on the technical side---UI info, C&C function, etc---but it's the amazing "cinematic" detail of the gameplay itself, as in this example, that gets me. (Which I suppose isn't at all a "little thing" to accomplish :))

I just related this story to a CMBN-playing friend:

Was watching a replay and saw a Lieutenant (sole survivor of his HQ unit) giving a buddy first aid while taking a not-insignificant amount of small arms fire from less than about 70m away. He finished his work, calmly took aim with his M1, and dropped the two guys who's been firing at him with (I think) three shots.

Guy had ice water in his veins. First thing I thought was "Lieutenant Spears?"* :D

*Band of Brothers reference

Lieutenant Spears...my all time favourite war movie\series soldier...a person I'd love to have had a chat with not sure if he is still alive or not...When he went running through that Mortar barrage...pure class...

If he was a fictional character, you'd say that Ronald Spiers life story was completely implausible:

• Allegations of deliberately shooting a Sergeant under his command on the battlefield.
  • Allegations of shooting unarmed German POWs (also depicted in the BoB series)
  • Silver Star for exploits during Operation Market Garden
  • The legendary dash through Foy from BoB
  • Combat jump in Korea
  • Governor of Spandau Prison?!
  • Served in Indochina in the early 60's
  • Born in Edinburgh, Scotland. Died in Glasgow. Glasgow, MONTANA

The pixeltruppen have a LONG way to go to live up to this man.

:)