Realtime or WEGO or both?

All this time I've been playing CMSF in realtime, and I've found that I really prefer it that way. For some reason I never tried PBEM with the new engine.

But CMBN makes me nostalgic for my many hundreds of hours of PBEM with CMx1, and I think I'm going to start playing humans again. Since my gaming schedule is unpredictable (i.e. I have two young kids), I'll be going with PBEM for play against real people.

This is going to take some getting used to. Have others found it difficult to make the switch between realtime and WEGO, or is it no trouble? Do you play both?

Most importantly, what tips do you experienced WEGO CMx2 players have for someone just now stepping across from realtime play?

Responding to the question "Realtime or WEGO or both?" I'd be happy with realtime with a pause capability.

Furthermore, you could *optionally* add functionality to the pause, similar to what you have in a chess game. Too much pause by a given player may reduce their points.

Of course, I'd love to be able to play back at any time up to the current turn.

From a gameplay perspective, I really like Realtime. If you man up and don't use the pause button too much, it forces you to keep things simple, which I like.

But I play almost exclusively WEGO, primarily because I really like reviewing the movies, watching things from all the angles, etc. In RT, I find myself mostly sticking to the higher view levels so I don't miss anything, which means I lose the cinematic experience of watching the action at the 1 & 2 view levels.

If BFC ever manages to add in a rewind function for RT, then I'll probably switch over to playing mostly RT, especially for smaller scenarios. It would be great to play a scenario through without pausing in RT, and then rewind and watch all the climactic moments in detail from multiple angles, after the battle is over.

Most importantly, what tips do you experienced WEGO CMx2 players have for someone just now stepping across from realtime play?

plan, plan, plan, double check your plan, then expect your plan to go right out the window the minute shooting starts...plan for that too. :)

Isn't it quite cool that BFC offers both ;)

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Ask Mr Peng. He went AWOL, prolly due to his own CAS using the "C" too literally. Several times. In Mr Peng's immortal words...

I don't know how much more I can take. This whole scenario has been a bungle on my side from minute one.
Cant reason with that.

The only reason I'd play WEGO any more is so I could see events again as many times as I wanted. Like YankeeDog says, if they ever add a 30 second rewind or something similar to RT, I'd never go back. Why wait 60 seconds to change an order when I can change it immediately?

(disclaimer: I abuse the hell out of the pause button :P)

Pay close attention to your waypoint placements...zoom down and check to make sure they are where you think they are. That one minute can destroy you if you screw up...Don't forget to check line of sight by clicking on the little white waypoint ball and targeting from it, great little feature and will tell you how decent your chosen spot will be for tackling any threats.

Prepare to cuss a lot.

As for me...I play WEGO exclusively because I don't wanna miss any of the cool details...that's what I love most about CM games...the little stories that take place throughout the battle. You devise your tactics, plot the moves then kick back for one minute and watch the drama unfold. Nothing cooler in wargaming than catching one of those awesome moments that make your jaw drop...and then watching it fifty more times from every angle possible.

I do like the RT feature though...it's very helpful in checking mods and testing stuff and the like. Glad we have both.

Mord.

I totally abuse the pause button too.

To sharpen the focus of my OP, I'm really asking this: What advice do long-time WEGO players have for someone about to make the shift from realtime to WEGO for PBEM purposes?

edit: and Mord is already there. Thanks! All advice welcome.

I never thought I would play RT when it was first introduced in SF. But, I found that

I did in fact like it for small missions. But larger stuff? Just impossible for me.

I end up totally focused on one area, and often completely forget about some units entirely.

Just too chaotic for me to handle large scenarios, so I go back to Wego for that. Oh yah, in RT I pause ALL THE TIME!! :D

Which ever way you want to play...we have a choice and thats the beauty of it...unfortunately all these sort of threads end up in a flame war more often than not....

I have my prefernece other shave theirs..there is no right or wrong way...play it how YOU want to and don't worry about others...

It depends for me. I prefer to play WEGO but I also like playing RT when I want to play a quick game with a Platoon or less of infantry and maybe 1-4 supporting vehicles. A larger force usually requires me to play WEGO.

I know I can play RT with a larger force and just hit pause a lot but I don't get to watch the replays and if you've followed my thread concerning TAC AI Goodness :D then you'll understand why I love the replays so much.

As for me...I play WEGO exclusively because I don't wanna miss any of the cool details...that's what I love most about CM games...the little stories that take place throughout the battle. You devise your tactics, plot the moves then kick back for one minute and watch the drama unfold. Nothing cooler in wargaming than catching one of those awesome moments that make your jaw drop...and then watching it fifty more times from every angle possible.

Mord.

Same here and in just the little bit I have been playing the demo I have had so many of those moments that I can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

Same here and in just the little bit I have been playing the demo I have had so many of those moments that I can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

Funny...I haven't really been able to play on this comp, basically was just checking to see what I could see within the limits of the system specs for this machine and had two of those moments already.

Tonight, barring my new GFX card doesn't screw up...I'll get to really play.

Mord.

I never thought I would play RT when it was first introduced in SF. But, I found that

I did in fact like it for small missions. But larger stuff? Just impossible for me.

I end up totally focused on one area, and often completely forget about some units entirely.

Just too chaotic for me to handle large scenarios, so I go back to Wego for that. Oh yah, in RT I pause ALL THE TIME!! :D

Thanks for typing that out for me. :)

I've been largely playing CMSF in RT, but with the CMBN demo I find myself preferring TB once again. So much going on that even with frequent pauses it easy to forget or overlook units. And when that happens even if they don't get promptly mortared while staying in place too long, in the closeness of bocage situations can quickly turn bad.

So I'm back to the slightly more thoughtful and considered Turn Based mode.