Some lame questions while waiting

Really looking forward to BN. Enjoyed the old CM games.

Couple of questions.

1. Will any foul language in CM:BN be any worse than the previous games? Hoping my grandson will be able to enjoy the game without the crud.

2. Noticed in some of the game movies that buildings seem to either be basically destroyed or not touched. At least that was my conclusion. Will the game show buildings with just some partial destruction etc? Such as one or two walls remaining. Curious.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 No foul language so no worries on that front. However, if you DO want it, I'm sure there will be a mod along soon after release.

#2 If you have played CMSF then you will find buildings go through several states of damage in the same way in CMBN. Hoever, assuming you haven't, building facades get damaged when fired upon. Continual fire on that face will result in one or more levels having their walls knocked down exposing the interior of the building. Continued fire can bring the roof down one level at a time. As for one or two walls still standing after the building is rubbled, that doesn't happen yet.

I really don't get it. Blowing people to pieces is fine, but foul language....

Men' date=' when you're out there in the battlefield, and you're looking into the beady eyes of a Canadian as he charges you with his hockey stick or whatever he has, and people are dying all around you, just remember what the MPAA says: "Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words." That is what this war is all about![/quote']

Any more questions? ;)

Indeed. I think this is one of those European vs American mentality divide thingies.

They can carry guns, it is a basic right, while we, for the most part, can´t. Not that this explains anything but I think it is somewhat linked to the referred behaviour.

I can't understand the original post and more generally the American attitudes for foul language vs. brutal violence... It's very very weird that saying the F-bomb is somehow very horrible and blowing people to pieces is not...

I remember that when the Saving Private Ryan was released some veteran organization stated that the movie was very realistic but the language was too foul... WTF... I'm pretty sure that in any military organization all around the world a lot of cursing is normal way.

And does the game have any age restrictions?

I take it you don't have children?

Some people who play CM do, and if they want to play CM while the kids are in the house, it's better to not have cursing playing through their speakers.

As for "blowing people to pieces" - Show me a video where this happens in any CM game... Unless I missed something, it doesn't show this level of detail, it's just not required.

Personally, I don't have a problem with playing this game while a child is about, it's not showing that much which can damage a child's mind in the long term - So they see a flaming Sherman every now and then, no harm done, some loud explosions here and there, again no harm done. Most kids actually make louder noises than those 356mm naval guns. :P

If they start hearing words they shouldn't, then that's doing them harm. I'm glad to hear I won't have to be playing with headphones on.

Indeed. I think this is one of those European vs American mentality divide thingies.

They can carry guns, it is a basic right, while we, for the most part, can´t. Not that this explains anything but I think it is somewhat linked to the referred behaviour.

I'm Australian, our gun laws are even more strict than most of Europe....Next theory? ;)

I take it you don't have children?

Yes, I have two, both grown up now, and I do have grand-children.

Some people who play CM do, and if they want to play CM while the kids are in the house, it's better to not have cursing playing through their speakers.

But there is all that noise of shots and explosions, and people screaming when hit.

As for "blowing people to pieces" - Show me a video where this happens in any CM game... Unless I missed something, it doesn't show this level of detail, it's just not required.

Well, just look at the enthusiasm for the Naval guns. There are pixeltruppen in that area, and then they are dead.

Anyway, the OP wasn't talking about children accidentally being around, he wanted to play the game with is child (grandchild?).

I just can't see how a scream of agony can be more innocent than the F-word (which children use amongst themselves plenty, they just tend to be embarrassed when it is used by grown-ups when it is made a tabu :-)

What I always find funny about this "no foul language on TV/video games/whatever! think of the children!!!" thingy, is that back when I was a kid, most of the foul language I learned was at school, from other kids, not from TV or video games... It's quite amazing how quick learners kids are, when it comes to things adults don't want them to learn! :D

I'm Australian, our gun laws are even more strict than most of Europe....Next theory? ;)

OP is from Southern Illinois though, hence my remark. Which happens to be a very very very broad generalisation. Also, OP is talking about having his grandson PLAYING the game, not just being in the house while you play as you state. Very different situation with regards to the "blowing to pieces" part. You are only honestly concerned about foul language because you will be doing the killing, not your children.

In any event everyone knows aussies are also just cowboys only with sheep and kangaroos. :D

I think there's a big difference between swearing and dead pixeltruppen. Swearing is "real". Dead pixeltruppen are just "pretend". Playing Cowboys and Indians was okay when you were a kid, wasn't it? Did you get smacked when you said s**t?

Kid do learn naughty words at school and they remain "naughty" for them, because they are not approved of by mummy/daddy. Whereas if they hear bad language on mainstream tv/video games/every-day talking then that aura of "naughty" wears off and they start using such words more and more in everyday conversation. So bad language should stay in the schoolyard and stay "naughty". That's my theory. :-)

Saying that, my 5 year old said "nutbags" to me yesterday*. I thought it was hilarious until my wife pointed out that he'd picked it up from me and I hadn't even realised I say it! But then again, that's still better than my wife having to explain that daddy is in fact saying "truck" and "trucker" to that silly man in the other car who just cut him up... the joys of Middle East driving.

* It's a fact that any swear word said by a toddler is funny. Unless they repeat it. In front of grandparents. Repeatedly.

IMHO this is something the US and Australia have inherited from their British origin - with all their politeness and such. You know the difference between Brits and Germans? The British are too polite to be honest while the Germans are too honest to be polite. :)

The contemporary german swearing from WWII wouldn't raise an eyebrow today anyway. If there isn't german swearing I'm in for my first mod!

Edit: the contemporary racist swearing would get you fined or into jail today

Yes, I have two, both grown up now, and I do have grand-children.

Sorry mate, was just an assumption - I've not known many parents who think swearing is okay for children to hear.

(By the way, I actually feel rather young hearing that people here have grand-children..Thanks :P)

But there is all that noise of shots and explosions, and people screaming when hit.

True, but people screaming is heard almost daily in the playground. Kids scream when they injure themselves, and it sounds much more serious when a child screams than it does when these pixultruppen get smacked with a mortar round or are riddled with bullets. Of course falling over probably isn't as painful as being shot...

As for the shots/explosions, while I agree it's not necessarily a "nice" sound to hear while they are innocent, I don't personally think that battle sounds are an issue for children's ears. It's not going to give them nightmares if they have no clue as to what the context is. It's just pixels on a screen firing brightly coloured lines at eachother.

Also they are common noises/sounds they might hear when parents watch a movie or a show, many kids movies also feature explosions or silly accidents which have loud noises. Even the news these days have a lot more stories that feature gun shots and explosions. Swearing on the other hand, should not be a common sound a young and impressionable mind hears.

Well, just look at the enthusiasm for the Naval guns. There are pixeltruppen in that area, and then they are dead.

If they slowly bled out in agony, spurting blood from holes in their body and writhing around in pain, I'd try to avoid my child seeing it - But the way BF models death isn't exactly gory. They simply stop shooting, and glow red.

Anyway, the OP wasn't talking about children accidentally being around, he wanted to play the game with is child (grandchild?).

I want to play this with my kids too, when they grow up I hope they share an interest and want to play it themselves. I think they can understand that a game depicting violence (nowhere near as visually explicit compared to others) isn't real. CM is clearly a game, no matter how realistic it is in terms of TO&E or penetration values etc.. It's just a game, it's played with a keyboard and mouse.

But there is no fake or make believe swearing.

I just can't see how a scream of agony can be more innocent than the F-word (which children use amongst themselves plenty, they just tend to be embarrassed when it is used by grown-ups when it is made a tabu :-)

Ahhh, we are talking about different age groups, there's the issue - I'm talking about 2-7...Unless a kid has a bad upbringing, I've not heard of kids of that age swearing plenty.

Anyway, I don't mean to single you out - I understand that people have different opinions. I was just pointing out that some people, such as myself, might not have an issue with what is shown in CM, but would have a problem if their troops swore because it can't be said that it's just pretend.

Also, OP is talking about having his grandson PLAYING the game, not just being in the house while you play as you state.

I realise that playing the game themselves would expose them to the words more frequently - But whether they are playing it themselves, or just wandering about nearby doesn't matter if they have to hear it because the sounds are coming through the speakers.

You are only honestly concerned about foul language because you will be doing the killing, not your children.

That's not it at all - I don't care if they sit on my lap and take control themselves, but I DO care if they hear swearing regardless of who is playing and doing the killing. I don't think a kid playing a game will get a thirst for blood and go out to kill someone themselves (despite some over-the-top christian lobby groups who think this is a concern) but it's a fact that kids repeat things they hear, and I don't want my kids swearing as often as a solider would.

In any event everyone knows aussies are also just cowboys only with sheep and kangaroos.

Okay, this I can't really argue with :P We do have the cowboy-style hats...

The generation depicted in these games just didn't swear as much as we do today, thats what the vet was talking about in reference to Saving Private Ryan.

Don't forget,they were brought up in an era of, elbows off the table, speak when your spoken to, respect your elders and so on, therefore no they did not swear near as much as the youth of today do, the ill mannered little f***ers that they are.

I think this must be an American thing. In Australia foul language and nudity on television is OK at night. However, Australian school children are not allowed to take automatic weapons to school and shoot their teachers and class mates. I understand different rules apply in America.

One of the oddest aspects of this puritanical streak is the Janet Jackson clothing malfunction controversy. All the six o'clock news programs in Australia showed Janet Jackson's breast whereas the American news programs I watched only showed a pixelated blur.

Now I have seen Janet Jackson's right breast. It was a normal looking celebrity breast: that is, a wonder of modern prosthetic technology. But on the American news programs it looked more terrifying than Osama Bin Laden with a shot out eye.

I think it would be more humane to allow children to see the naked human form. I think it is an insult to god and cosmetic surgeons to cover it up with blurry pixels.

However, on the question of foul language in games I am indifferent (and I would be unhappy if my combat mission trooper screamed and carried on when they were injured).

"If they slowly bled out in agony, spurting blood from holes in their body and writhing around in pain, I'd try to avoid my child seeing it - But the way BF models death isn't exactly gory. They simply stop shooting, and glow red."

CM is the A-Team of strategy games. Huge amounts of violence are dished out, but no-one really gets hurt. It's a great tradition of the US entertainment industry to bring ultra-violence to the nation's children in a sanitised fashion.

remember when you played war as a kid? when the other guy "got you"(and you didn't argue about it. rare i know), did you just fall down dead? heck no! you put your hands over your chest or head, stumbled around, then made a final spin before crumpling to the ground and saying final words like "my death shall be avenged!", totally upstaging the kid that "killed" you. maybe the wounded soldiers in cm should do the hollywood death thing. :-p

Really looking forward to BN. Enjoyed the old CM games.

Couple of questions.

1. Will any foul language in CM:BN be any worse than the previous games? Hoping my grandson will be able to enjoy the game without the crud.

:confused: Dunno what all the Hoora is about. Life is Life. I, too, have grandchildren. From what I see, this game (CMBO+) has more Senior Citizens than non-Senior Citizens playing it. So. . . wake up and smell the roses. It's an ***ing game for *** adults in an *** world. ROFL.

One of my uncles (Charlie) was in the Royal Irish Fusaliers and served throughout WW2. The only time he spoke of his experiences (and acc. to my Dad he had some horrific experiences ) was when he was evacuated at Dunkirk. He had plundered a bombed store nearby and filled his battle jacket and pants with thousands of cigarettes and then had to wait in the sea up to his neck in the water for over a hour before getting on to a boat.

It's a wonder he didn't get nicotine poisoning. That's war for you.

Foul language is what I want in War games...the mods for CMSF were very good indeed...When i first got into military history I was surprised at how much and how bad they swore in WW1....always struck me as a modern thing...but it isn't.

Also some would find it odd you want your grandson to play a game that simulates killing which isn't fantasy violence but actually happened and yet your worried about swearing. just a thought.

You reminded me how my father, who served in WWII, was appalled by movie foul language. He said the units he served with weren't like that. I can well imagine there would be wide regional variations in language. New York dock workers compared to Wisconsin dairy farmers. This was back before there was one homogeneous monoculture based entirely on what gets shown on HBO.

As far as im aware this is an adults game. Surely, parents have a duty to make sure that there children do not have access to material that may corrupt them. Not BFC.

It is not really about that tho' is it?

It is about choice and it seemed to me that the OP was asking if there is "foul language" in the game and I assume, based on the response, would make what ever choice he deemed necessary.

In Oz we have a censor that rates all games and tells us what is in the game to give it its rating. Based on that we can make an informed choice, so it makes it easy, however in other places I guess you have to ask a question on a forum.

Whether you agree with the OP or not is irrelevant, he chooses not to expose his kids to foul language in what ever context it is presented and I see no justification in criticising that.

I have never understood why swearing gets you an "M" rating, killing gets you an "MA+15" but scenes depicting sex gets you an "R+18".

Our kids can swear and kill but not make love ?