Foxholes look like Chocolate Glazed Donuts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know I thought they were odd too at first, but after seeing them in the video aar, I like them. They seem very functional, the engine supports them better, in cmsf I hated how they trenches would disappear at a distance. Plus it had to be done for purchasing in the QBs.

The discussion board demanded demanded demanded that fog of war rules apply to trenches and foxholes. So you have trenches and foxholes where FOW rules apply.

I'm sure that is true, but that still doesnt change the fact that some people find them odd.

I personally dont care. I love donuts.

The more odd thing for me is that I saw soldiers crawling through the donuts. That just doesnt seem very realistic without a BIG BIG BIG glass of milk.

My father was rounded up with his school class in April 1945 to dig trenches for the Germans in the South of the city of Groningen.

Because the ground was extremely marshy, instead of digging gullies, they constructed two parallel earth walls to serve as trenches.

These trenches only held out for a very short time, because once the Canadians approached it at one point, they could move along in cover along the outside of the construction. (plus they put very low quality railroad soldiers in those trenches).

They look like life rafts or misplaced assault boats scattered around the landscape. Can the soldiers hiding in these life rafts at least be made to kneel down? Having them stand up with at least half of their bodies exposed out of the "foxholes" really doesn't look good. Otherwise, the landscape in CM:BN is outstanding.

Can the soldiers hiding in these life rafts at least be made to kneel down? Having them stand up with at least half of their bodies exposed out of the "foxholes" really doesn't look good.
They do kneel down. Watch Video AAR #2 around the 26:00 mark and you'll see the soldiers kneel in the foxholes. Once arty starts falling, a Hide order is given and the guys get completely down in the foxholes. It's pretty clear to see the difference between the guys who are kneeling and the few poor souls who abandon their foxholes and start running.

If it means that improved positions are invisible they could be red white and blue and i'd be happy, i hated the fact that in CMSF the opposing player could see the trenches i could use, it always made me paranoid about putting men in them as they were pre planned arty magnets in my mind, it was like playing a devilish game of rock, paper, scissors deciding whether to man them at the start or not, and if you got it wrong it was horrible seeing all your guys getting pummeled in great defensive positions at the very start of a game.

I'm sure it will be one of the first things re textured by modders...

Agree. It is no big deal they got the donut look as they can be improved. My only real critisism of what I have seen so far of them is they looked a little too perfect in shape, especially the dirt piled around it. If going above ground impoves draw distance it is definitly a step in the right direction.

I still say they look more realistic then the "Dirt Barnacles" they had earlier in the Beta. And let's also remember that the Battlefront Art department is what, one or two people? And that was to do landscape, soldiers, tanks, AND all the progressively less detailed models of them for LOD purposes. So if the foxholes look a little odd, so be it, as long as they have FOW.

Come to think of it, when was the last time you saw 3D foxholes in any game, let alone a wargame? CMBO's were sprites painted on the landscape, Theatre of War only has Trenches(which have no FOW). Not even the high end simulator-esque FPS' have foxholes, or at least in a "put one where you need them" ability.....