Hand-to-hand combat

Will Hand-to-hand combat be featured in CM:BN, either with new unit animations or in abstract form? I searched on the forum and found this question was brought up a couple months ago but not answered. Now that Battlefront is further along in the development cycle, maybe someone can let us know? It would be nice to know if the soldiers will be capable of giving a beat down with guns, knives, bayonets and fists or whether they will just have to retreat when the ammo runs out.

BFC has already said:

No hand-to-hand animations of bayonets, rifle butts, etc. Too difficult and time consuming for something that happens only rarely.

But close combat will be modeled in some way. That is, the modeling will take into account that soldiers can use their bayonets, fists, etc. You just won't see detailed animations of this happening.

As of now, no other details about this have been released that I am aware of.

This has been discussed many times, and the conclusion always seems to be that by far the most common CQB weapon was and remains...... each soldier's primary weapon (that is, shooting bullets, as opposed to used as a club or a spear). With hand grenades in second place.

Stabbing and clubbing is a distant third and is sufficiently rare as to warrant only abstract treatment. And that works for me, honestly. I'm surprised (though pleased) that pistols have made it in, as marginal a weapon as they are at a company scale.

I'm curious about this too. With CMx1 it made sense for the simple abstraction of just sound effects. But now with 1:1 it will look pretty odd for two units to just stare at each other with close combat sounds in the background.

Perhaps only animate a soldier doing a simple bayonet attack and using the buttend of a weapon. This includes almost everybody in the game, pistol whip not included. Save the entrenching tool for a later update maybe. When two units get close enough, they run up(already animated) to each other and let loose the animations and sound effects.

I know the saying of, "easier said than done" comes to mind.

Mortal Kombat animations? Rofl. Eric Young's Squad Assault just had them smack each other around with guns, sometimes a couple feet or a little further apart, so there was some direct contact and some abstraction mixed. I thought we might end up with something like that in CM:BN, but was hoping for a bit more detail in the close quarters fighting. I'll still enjoy the game if they leave out attack combos and spinal extractions. ;)

cmbo_aw.jpg

Terrible. Where do I start with the glaring inaccuracies?

First the GI is obviously holding a handgun and yet the bullet spacing leads me to believe that it is an automatic weapon. Then there is the terribly depicted weapon the German is holding. The magazine is OBVIOUSLY much too big. His uniform if the wrong color as well. And is he a centaur or something?

F-.

PS. I'm putting it on my fridge.

Terrible. Where do I start with the glaring inaccuracies?

First the GI is obviously holding a handgun and yet the bullet spacing leads me to believe that it is an automatic weapon. Then there is the terribly depicted weapon the German is holding. The magazine is OBVIOUSLY much too big. His uniform if the wrong color as well. And is he a centaur or something?

F-.

PS. I'm putting it on my fridge.

I'm glad they corrected the evelation inaccuracies of the tanks main gun.

I never have actualy read about instances of close combat (that is combat with bajonets, or hitting the enemy with rifles or entrenching tools) in Normandy. Closest I have read about is tossing grenades and shooting point blanc.

Has anyone links to actual combat reports or reasonable reliable histories where there is any? (In this theatre and this time frame?)

I never have actualy read about instances of close combat (that is combat with bajonets, or hitting the enemy with rifles or entrenching tools) in Normandy. Closest I have read about is tossing grenades and shooting point blanc.

Has anyone links to actual combat reports or reasonable reliable histories where there is any? (In this theatre and this time frame?)

Didnt someone in the 101st win the MOH for leading a bayonet charge on DDay?

I think that incident is discussed by SLA Marshall in one or more of his books. I believe it's A Soldier's Load where he notes that armies send infantry into combat loaded down with all kinds of heavy but now underused paraphernalia, and the bayonet (as opposed to a trench knife) is one example.

Id say the Brit lads that used them in Iraq and Afghanistan would disagree with you on that.

Fixing bayonets focus's the mind and loosens bowls! :P