Normandy Voice Wavs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to Dutch? The big guy who’s a bit slow on the uptake but has a heart of gold who gets teamed up with the guy from da Bronx and reads out letters from his parents in a slow voice before passing round a picture of his family at which point Weasel, the Bronx guy, grabs it and says “hot damn take a look at little Miss Dutch! She your sister?” “Yah sure, she’s my leedle sistah.” “She don't look too little to me Dutch, am I right, am I right?” before putting his life on the line and firing a captured Nazi MG from the hip to get everyone out of the abandoned building.

I think it's time to make an exhaustive list.

Each US WW2 Warner/MGM-approved Army squad must include one each:

- Midwestern farm boy, always blond, can be the sniper

- East coast inner city hustler, possibly a felon. Often from Bronx or Phillie

- Texan/generic cowboy.

- Italian, always from East Coast city, frequently speaks Sicilian

- New York Jew, Brooklyn or less frequently Manhatten. Best educated guy in squad, very useful to inform audience historical background or whose portrait that is on the mansion wall.

- Down deep Dixie boy, also a possible sniper

- As noted earlier, a large and somewhat slow Slav named "Ski"; big guy, often carries the MG

Each MGM-approved US infantry squad may in addition include

- A son of southern gentry, Virginia or Kentucky; provides counterpoint to the other Southerner, who becomes poorer and more white-trashy.

- An Indian. Most common tribes are Navajo and Cherokee; Ute, Apache, and Sioux possible. Always gets scout missions, obviously.

- A high school athlete/valedictorian. Usually an unofficial squad leader and a positive character, but sometimes will crack under pressure if script writer chooses to demonstrate the obvious man is not always the hero.

- A Hispanic, always a nice guy but often is in conflict with the poor Southerner.

- A tinkerer/mechanic; often worked in an auto shop back home, can get anything running, can manufacture heaters, faux silk stockings, and other hard-to-obtain items from a bit of string and chewing gum, and whatever debris is lying around. Acts as American Ingenuity incarnate, allows the squad to perform depot level maintenance on captured Panzers, Mercedes staff cars, etc.

- Rich man's son, spends movie learning about the lower classes

- An ethnic German determined to prove he is just as American as the rest of the guys, is useful for interrogating prisoners.

- Ivy league man who volunteered for the infantry, can survive to narrate movie in flashback. Can also fufill rich man's son role.

Others are possible, depending plot demands and which actors actually got cast.

Since CM Normandy will represent individual soldiers, I think BFI has no choice but to build in different voices for each squad member. I for one will feel very shortchanged if we get the same boring old .wav files dating back to CMAK.

US Army NCOs also offer a rich choice of cliche characters, but that's another post, if not another thread.

Bigduke66, you missed one.

The really really nice guy. Boyish-looking, upbeat, Usually carries a picture if his sweetheart in his wallet, talks about his mom's hot apple pies and compares the battlefied scenery to the wholesome small town he grew up in. His unofficial nickname - "Dead Meat".

Bigduke6, missed another one the naive Lieutenant straight out of West Point that does things buy the book and 'is gonna get alot of men killed'. Although during the course of the movie he learns to break the rules from the veteran sergeant that saves his life and eventually becomes accepted by the platoon. Usually dosen't get killed.

IF ETO, another possibility from the optional characters is a Nisei who serves as sort of a composite of the American Indian / Ethnic German characters.

Possesses mysterious field craft or weapons skills and faces prejudice from other soldiers. Most specifically from the guy whose brother was killed by "the Japs" in the PTO.

So he is then compelled to act extra-heroically to prove his patriotism, inevitably dies, and then everyone feels bad.

We haven't entered the Rambo genre yet. The brooding muscleman who prefers to kill with his hands and appears in the midst of the enemy without being seen. Oh, and with the uncanny ability to run through mortar barrages. Here's some dialog from "First Blood Part II:

10. “Sir, do we get to win this time?”

9. “Oh and by the way, what most people call Hell, he calls home!”

8. “Gimme something cold!”

7. “These are the people you protect with your pain!”

6. “You may scream, these is no shame.”

5. “There is too much death here. Death everywhere. I just want to live, Rambo. Maybe I go America. Live the quiet life.”

4. “How you gonna live, John?” “Day by day.”

3. “Old ways not safe! You come long way to see empty camp”

2. As Rambo’s lady friend dies “Ram....bo......you....not....forget.....me”

1. “Murdock.....I”M COMING TO GET YOU!”