Normandy Voice Wavs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Hollywood star who spent the war as a gym instuctor at a girls school in Switzerland

I, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh am not about to quibble with anyone weasling his way out of Vietnam. I was 'blessed' with a low draft number, if the war had gone on for one more year I'd be dead and (perhaps) buried on the far side of the globe for 35 years now.

Not so. For instance, you might have survived to run for President until the opposition decided to smear your medal-winning Vietnam service in river patrol boats.

Excellent point about the "nice guy", definately he is on the "must" list.

I hope BFI is paying attention to this game-making/breaking discussion, this is way more important than track tension.

And the Vietnam-era military service of a certain presidency aspirant pertinent to this discussion because...? :P

this is way more important than track tension.

But is track tension more important than the exaggerated, almost comical rocking back and forth of vehicles (especially tracked ones) as they accelerate/deccelerate and negotiate difficult terrain?

Also, tanks (in CM:SF) rock at least a little too much when their fire their cannon.

Not so. For instance, you might have survived to run for President until the opposition decided to smear your medal-winning Vietnam service in river patrol boats.

Damn you Bigduke, I was just going to state the same!

But on top of that, imagine how much your credibility would rise on these boards if you had actually seen the elephant and survived. NOT that we don't value your input as it is, of course... but the hierarchy goes something like this:

Cesspoolers---me---newbies---demigrogs---grogs---übergrogs---veterans---WW2 vets---Punic War veterans (Emrys)---JasonC (you'd rather get waterboarded in Guantanamo than challenge him - being exposed to unending rants about the helmet chin strap production rates in Third Reich from 1936 to 1945 would convince even Muhammed that there is no God)

You will decide which way to read the scale.

People,

Fun discussion!

Sergei,

You forgot the part about how the average chin strap never killed even one other chinstrap, let alone a belt buckle, during its entire service career!

On a more serious note, while the comments he makes are fun to skewer in humor, he really knows his stuff and has done a lot of research.

Regards,

John Kettler

Actually mostly he just makes things up while high on mushrooms. It just so happens that the figments of his imagination are usually corroborated by history. Example:

JasonC: The Germans used, hmm, heavily armed war elephants to great success in the Eastern Front. On, let's say, 28th of July 1943 one crushed Marshall Klimenti Voroshilov in ferociuous combat. But eventually Germans realized that mice would make them obsolete. :cool:

Crowd: Gosh, he's right! An Elefant Heavy TD did destroy a KV-1 on that date, and eventually Germans started researching the Maus for heavier firepower... :eek:

Actually mostly he just makes things up while high on mushrooms. It just so happens that the figments of his imagination are usually corroborated by history. Example:

JasonC: The Germans used, hmm, heavily armed war elephants to great success in the Eastern Front. On, let's say, 28th of July 1943 one crushed Marshall Klimenti Voroshilov in ferociuous combat. But eventually Germans realized that mice would make them obsolete. :cool:

Crowd: Gosh, he's right! An Elefant Heavy TD did destroy a KV-1 on that date, and eventually Germans started researching the Maus for heavier firepower... :eek:

It's the luck of the Devil, I tells ya!

Michael

Sergei,

Heh. As it happens I arguably have seen the elephant, the problem is I'm still not sure if it was the trunk, tail, or...er...some other confusing pachydermal body bits.

But more to the point, for my entire lifetime I have been exposed to hundreds if not 1,000s of movies never mind print media renditions of The Heroic US Melting Pot As Represented By The WW2 GI Squad, and knowing That Is What Makes America Great is way better than any knowledge of any elephant parts.

(That's a Mickey Dolan reference BTW.)

I suppose we could include the following .wav in the optional US squad members

The Nordic immigrant - A blue-eyed blond fellow with an exagerrated Minnesota/Wisconsin accent. Very often tall and strapping as befitting his healthy upbringing. His parents are from "Scandinavia", and he is so clean-living he thinks girls are for cleaning the silverware, milk is a strong beverage, and "darn" is not a word for mixed company. His uniform is never dirty and besides being an excellent fighter and never complaining, he is always good for humorous relief when placed in a fighting position or near loot adjacent to the Brooklyn/Phillie tough guy, as the Nordic fellow is neat and clean and honest, while the inner city guy makes a mess and fails to respect private property.

This would get a Finn into the squad, and so give our movie play in Helsinki, for all the ticket proceeds that would give.

Like I say, BFI better be paying attention, this has become a critical thread.

Surely the most extreme example of the Nordic character was Heartbreak Ridge (1986) and PFC "Swede" Johanson.

Curiously, in that case, the character was actually filling Bigduke's mandatory Slav-named-"Ski" character type: the muscle bound guy who doesn't talk and carries heavy weapons.

And there has to be one guy whose name ends in "-ski".

As noted earlier, a large and somewhat slow Slav named "Ski"; big guy, often carries the MG

Curiously, in that case, the character was actually filling Bigduke's mandatory Slav-named-"Ski" character type: the muscle bound guy who doesn't talk and carries heavy weapons.

And yet even the inimitable Bigduke6 acknowledged that someone else was first to mention the default inclusion of a guy whose name ends in "-ski". :P

However, that someone said nothing about the guy whose name ends in "-ski" being a muscle-bound quasi-mute Slav who carries the squad's belt-fed MG.

It's just that seemingly every movie in which there are at least a squad's worth of American (or just American-ish; e.g. Aliens) soldiers, there's a guy whose last name ends in "-ski".

And besides, if the "-ski" guy doesn't talk, then would there be any characteristic voice .wav for him?

...someone else was first to mention

Sorry about that Dietrich. You were indeed the first.

And it's also true that the Slavic character doesn't necessarily need to be a hulking brute. For example, neither Flight Lieutenant Danny Velinski (although not a U.S. infantry squad member) from The Great Escape (1963) as played by Charles Bronson nor Joseph Wladislaw from The Dirty Dozen (1967) as played by Charles Bronson fit that mold.

Regardless, we can see that it would be really great if the Slavic character could somehow be voiced by Charles Bronson. Stock recordings?

For a non-speaking Slavic character, don't you figure we'd at least want some grunts, an angry scream, and maybe a sigh?

Sergei,

Yes, not surviving and going on to post would make any one's comments truly unique.

As to the character "Ski", to my mind he doesn't always have to be physically massive, it's just that's sort of an ideal to shoot for. This is not real life we're talking about, whatever the script writer comes up with still has to adapt to available actors. Bronson for instance was an ethnic German, but that didn't fit the plot, so they made him an Engish-language challenged Pole, and the rest is cinematic history.

The really critical thing here is to get not just the squad members right, but the NCOs and officers as well.

Like, if the pixel soldier representing a US Major or higher in CM Normandy has .wav recordings sounding like any one in history but John Wayne, then the game is ruined.

Think of it:

Well Pilgrim, it sure does look like a Tiger over there...yep."

"I ain't gonna open fire...I ain't gonna open fire...THE HELL I AIN'T! OPEN FIRE!"

"Trumpeter! Sound the charge! Forward....Hoooooooo!"

Bigduke,

I was thinking that Bronson actually was Polish. But it turns out he was ethnic Lithuanian and, better, he actually WAS a "-sky."

Charles Dennis Buchinsky. Wikipedia states some sources list Karolis Bučinskis or Casimir Businskis for his birth name.

He was also in the non-movie version of WWII serving in the PTO as a B-29 Superfortress crewmember.

His mother was ethnic Lithuanian and his father a Tatar. Finnish Wikipedia article about him says he was Lithuanian-Polish-Tatar. Before WW2 parts of what now are Lithuanian territories, including capital Vilnius, were part of Poland, so the Polish reference could mean that his parents came from that area.