The obligatory military service thread. Where and when.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US Army Medic, 20 years

83-85 2/68 AR, Baumholder, FRG (Medic, M113 Amb Drvr) - Earned EFMB 1st try as PV2.

85-86 1/43 ADA (Patriot) Ft. Bliss, TX (Medic, Whl Amb Drvr) - Commandant's List, PLDC.

86-89 2/21 IN redesignated 2-7 IN, Ft. Stewart, GA (Evacuation NCOIC)- 4 NTC rotations, 3 rotations with OPFOR Augmentation.

89 - BNCOC/Advanced Med NCO Course, Ft. Sam Houston, TX - Distinguished Honor Grad

89-91 1/16 IN, Boeblingen, Ger (Aid Station NCOIC)- OPFOR Augmentation @ Hohenfels, Apr 91n drawdown and move 1/16 IN back to Riley.

91-92 732d Med Det, Stuttgart, Ger (1SG).

92-95 1/4 CAV, Fort Riley, KS (Med PSG) - 1st NTC rotation for a CAV Sqdn pure in over 14 years.

95-99 USAMEDDAC, Ft Leavenworth, KS (USDB Clinic NCOIC)

99-00 2/17 FA, Camp Hovey, Korea (Med PSG) - worst year of my life - I hate Korea!

00-03 USAMEDDAC, Ft Leavenworth, KS (Medical Education and Training NCOIC)

1999-2001 C co 2-69 Armor Battalion 3rd ID

Ft. Benning

2001-2002 C co 1-72 Armor Battalion 2nd ID

Cp. Casey, South Korea

2002-2004 D co 1-147 Armmor Battalion OHNG

2004-2006 A co 1-174th ADA OHNG

2006-2007 A co 1-174th MP Provisional OEF

2007-present: back to ADA?!

[ August 07, 2007, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]

Finnish army. Had training during year -99 (whole year). One of the coldest winters of late century and i was serving in norther Finland = Very-veeeery cold.

Service place was Jääkäriprikaati, in Sodankylä.

NCO (lowest form, don't care to check what it is in US or Germany). Specialized in AT and most of all TOW ATGM. Right now, as a reservist, my militaryactivities are to get extratraining from voluntarily courses.

Just had (sad) news that i don't have wartimeunit and -position anymore. Hard to deal with fact that i'm not in the list of defenders of my country anymore. Like my penis would have been cut off. :eek:

Finnish Defence Forces, 6 months married with AT mines, LAW, Musti (95mm RR) and APILAS.

Secondbrooks, I was I/99. DAMN it was cold in Sotinpuro conscript camp! My nose was cold several times (it has recovered the red colour, fortunately) and my finger tips were numb for weeks.

Then came the mosquitoes.

Fortunately neither ball freezing coldness nor blood sucking mozzies are modelled in FDF mod for OFP:Resistance...

[ August 07, 2007, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

well ok...

8 month army service in austria.

at PzPiKp1/StbB1

thats basicly an armored engineer unit.

i am/was the radio operator/gunner on such a vehicle :(

saurer1.jpg

if there is ever a case where there is mobilisation i hope so strongly we dont have this steel graves anymore. it should be a "scout tank" or something but well...better you dont meet enemys while scouting.

Sergei: I/99 too :D It was -50 celsuis at worst... Food did freeze quite fast and our CO was such an asshole that he forced us to even eat outside for most of the time.

We had only few mosqitoes during following summer. Terva -99 exercise in Kainuu then again was filled with those small flies (mäkäräisiä perkele!).

Musti... mmm... (drool is dripping)

FDF-mod... (drool is dripping once more)

[ August 07, 2007, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Secondbrooks ]

Originally posted by Secondbrooks:

We had only few mosqitoes during following summer. Terva -99 exercise in Kainuu then again was filled with those small flies (mäkäräisiä perkele!).

I think in English they're called blackflies. We also had them when playing football in Kontioranta in June-July - a cloud of them around every man's head, so either you ran like hell or you breathed them in. They weren't that much of a problem when playing on the ice of Höytiäinen a few months before!

When in December 2000-January 2001 I was in Australia, it was pleasing to think that when I had +40 Celsius the current conscripts had -40 Celsius. Payback time... :cool:

U.S. Army 1991 -1994 Ft. Bliss, TX

C 2/1 ADA

23R HAWK Missile System Mechanic (Hawkmek)

Texas Army National Guard 1994-1997

96B 49th Armored California Crossing, Irving TX

Texas Army National Guard 1997-2000

96B 111th Area Support Group, Austin Texas

This must be the 5th or 6th go 'round for this poll.

USAR 88-90 4/9 Cav

Active Army 90-92 Ft. Lewis 9th ID(1/9 Cav on HMMWV's), 199th Motorized Infantry Regiment

Active Army 92-94 Ft. Carson 4th ID (2/7 and 1/10 Cav on Bradleys)

National Guard 94-present Texas in 49th Armor, Wisconsin in 32nd Infantry Brigade, (E Trp 105th Cav then scout platoon of 1/128 Infantry, back to E Trp, then attached to 2/127 Infantry for OIF 05-06)

My unit just went through a transformation, so I am forced to take an Interrogator slot in an MI unit in Madison, just marking time till...

Retire in May 08

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

USAR 88-90 4/9 Cav

Active Army 90-92 Ft. Lewis 9th ID(1/9 Cav on HMMWV's), 199th Motorized Infantry Regiment

Active Army 92-94 Ft. Carson 4th ID (2/7 and 1/10 Cav on Bradleys)

National Guard 94-present Texas in 49th Armor, Wisconsin in 32nd Infantry Brigade, (E Trp 105th Cav then scout platoon of 1/128 Infantry, back to E Trp, then attached to 2/127 Infantry for OIF 05-06)

My unit just went through a transformation, so I am forced to take an Interrogator slot in an MI unit in Madison, just marking time till...

Retire in May 08

Who were you with in 199th? I was in B Co 2/1 INF. Mar 91 to Sep 92.