Marines Module update at Blogfront

Originally posted by Dragon67:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dragon67:

Action movies and TV make it look like you have to be stupid to get shot or blown up.

Well, I was blown up because of my own stupidity, that much is true, but some people just get hit and they're doing everything right. It just happens. </font>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Quick answers:

YankeeDog recapped my argument very well. I know that in Iraq and Afghanistan now everything has been uparmored to the point where one wonders if any more can be stuck on there without the frame breaking. This is a luxury that can be supported by the close proximity of fixed facilities. It is also able to happen because the rest of the military is sitting around with not much else to do except support patrols and the occasional "big push" into a very small geographical area (like Sadar City). A Humvee might have a lot of miles put on it in a single day, but it generally doesn't range very far from a source of aid. At least not on a day to day basis. And if it does crap out, usually someone can drop what they're doing and fix the situation.

Think of a patrol of 5 Humvees (just plucking that number out of thin air) in Iraq. The guys wake up, get in their vehicles, drive off on their mission de jour, do what needs to be done, then drive back. If they experienced any problems they mention them and (in theory, of course ;) ) the workshop guys service them as well as doing preventative maintenance. When the guys get up the next morning to go out on patrol again they have dramatically reduced the chance of losing a Humvee to mechanical problems because of the opportunities to check and service. And when they do lose one, generally speaking they can afford to sit tight and wait for recovery and replacement. And then the next day they can adjust to either going out with only 4 Humvees or grab another one from the pool or another unit.

This is not possible in a high tempo invasion scenario.

The point is that in a full up invasion scenario the vehicles will be required to drive balls out without the benefit of either built up logistics or close proximity to aid to get them there. They'll be on their own and it's hard to imagine that the current overloaded Humvees are up to that task. If we were making a COIN Ops game we'd be approaching this thing very differently in all sorts of ways, the vehicles being only one of them.

Steve

Two points, 1. The M1114s will be taking the same punishment their tracked cousins are taking in an invasion, and HMMVWs even uparmored ones require a hell of a lot less maintainance and TLC than IFVs and tanks.

2. After spending billions uparmoring the things DoD is not going to spend millions more taking all that armor off to go to a war where that same armor may save lives.

Originally posted by M1A1TC:

Will British Royal Marines be included in the Marines module as well as American? I hope that is the surprise being talked about in the blog

Yeah, this US marines business is all well and good (getting it for sure), but what im really looking forward to is a British campaign.

Originally posted by M1A1TC:

Will British Royal Marines be included in the Marines module as well as American? I hope that is the surprise being talked about in the blog

I'd give you good odds on a bet that "the surprise" won't be that. smile.gif

Originally posted by Sequoia:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M1A1TC:

I'd give you good odds on a bet that "the surprise" won't be that. smile.gif </font>

After the fixed Highway mod by MikeyD and my efforts to create some decent looking highway junctions using the mod, I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of the "surprises" will be road bridges. I'm beginning to wonder if the "Enhanced Line of Sight" changes in patch 1.07 or 1.08, whilst fixing some known issues, were not also a precursor to allow bridges to be in the game. The Marines fought some notable bridge battles in OIF, in particular the "An Nasiriyah" battle, a.k.a "Ambush Alley", as well as the "Larry", "Curly" and "Moe" highway overpass battles of the Baghdad "Thunder Runs", so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

After the fixed Highway mod by MikeyD and my efforts to create some decent looking highway junctions using the mod, I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of the "surprises" will be road bridges. I'm beginning to wonder if the "Enhanced Line of Sight" changes in patch 1.07 or 1.08, whilst fixing some known issues, were not also a precursor to allow bridges to be in the game. The Marines fought some notable bridge battles in OIF, in particular the "An Nasiriyah" battle, a.k.a "Ambush Alley", as well as the "Larry", "Curly" and "Moe" highway overpass battles of the Baghdad "Thunder Runs", so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thats a good guess. Another might be this:

Introduce a new Quick Battle system - It's been clear to us for quite some time that the existing system has some serious shortcomings in the eyes of many players. Therefore, a new QB system is a very high priority for the next major release. The primary improvements are some form of unit Cherry Picking system and semi-randomly generated maps. Think of this as a bridge between the good features of both CMx1 and CMx2 QB systems

I'd still would like to see these someday. This list was taken from the original vehicle list on the blogfront.

M1078 Standard Cargo Truck

M1083 Standard Cargo Truck

M978 Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT)

M985 Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT)

Originally posted by Sequoia:

Another might be this:

Introduce a new Quick Battle system - It's been clear to us for quite some time that the existing system has some serious shortcomings in the eyes of many players. Therefore, a new QB system is a very high priority for the next major release. The primary improvements are some form of unit Cherry Picking system and semi-randomly generated maps. Think of this as a bridge between the good features of both CMx1 and CMx2 QB systems

I remember reading that post by Steve. The mega-tile system definitely sounds interesting if they can get it working. Better QBs would probably win back a lot of CMx1 players who prefer to play a quick random battle with no context rather than wade through copious briefing pages and tactical maps. If this is the surprise I will be happy.

Battlefront,

Great news, I also look forward to some Nasiriyah scenarios.

Didn't see it mentioned or maybe I mentioned it, there will be one module for all game versions right? i.e. I have the Paradox CD, so I would buy the same version as a Battlefront download?

Just wondering.

Thanks

As others have said, one Module for everybody regardless of version.

Some of you guys are speculating a wee bit too much about what the "surprises" are ;) It's a couple of nice additions, not something radical. Hint... new QB system of slipping Brits in = radical :D

I can also say that there will be no overpasses. Perhaps never, sad to say. The reasons why we didn't have them in CMx1 are the same for CMx2, but much much worse. It has to do with the AI and pathfinding more than anything else. Obviously, it is something that can be done, but it's so code intensive that we'll likely never do it. Sometimes a feature doesn't do too well in the cost:benefit equation. Overpasses flunks quite badly, I'm sorry to say.

Steve

Then I expect speculating on when it will arrive would be equally useless? A LONG wait (ie 4-6 weeks) is going to drive me crazy!!! BTW, my wife has already given me her permission to buy this so the credit card is just waiting for the good news to arrive.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

[QB]The reasons why we didn't have them in CMx1 are the same for CMx2, but much much worse.[QB]

We had road bridges in CMx1. What specifically is different about an "overpass" compared to a road bridge? If we will never see overpasses, will we see bridges in any shape or form, like the ones we had in CMx1?

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

We had road bridges in CMx1. What specifically is different about an "overpass" compared to a road bridge? If we will never see overpasses, will we see bridges in any shape or form, like the ones we had in CMx1?

And you might remember the problems that arose when bridges went over anything that wasn't water - a vehicle could drive on to the bridge, turn right in the middle of it, and drive off on the road it was supposed to be going over. And vice versa I think. And IIRC you couldn't drive under bridges - you again went over the top of them. The bridges were, essentially, hard-coded on the assumption they'd be over water, and could go a bit screwy if you put them over anything else.

Well then, if you don't think OVERpasses will work, how about coding up some UNDERpasses?

;)

(And in reference to the post about Marines fighting the Larry, Moe, and Curly junctions of "Thunder Run" fame, that was the Army.)

Thanks,

Ken