Keep PBEM!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

They dont WANT to. They might HAVE to. With all the extra goodness they are putting in, filesizes may become excessive for sending through mail.

File size shouldn't be that much of a bother. My GMail account will send and receive attachments of 10MB, which is 100 times the size of a typical QB PBEM file.

And about 5x the size of a number of PBEM files of those scenario PBEMs I currently have going on, and less than 2x the size of some PBEMs I had in the past, so it can very easily become a problem.

I think we have gone round that particular block, and by now I would expect that whatever BFC have decided to do they have coded.

They have also said that they want to keep some form of asynchronous file exchange mode in, IIRC. Maybe looking at HistWar can give us a clue as to how that is done.

Originally posted by Soddball:

File size shouldn't be that much of a bother. My GMail account will send and receive attachments of 10MB, which is 100 times the size of a typical QB PBEM file.

I dont know what QBs you are playing but my turn movies easily get to 1mb. 2mb and higher isnt too rare either. With all the new bells and whistles 10mb might very well be reached. And not everyone uses G-Mail so their mailboxes might fill rather quick!

Steve himself said they are really trying to get it in. They arent stupid so ofcourse they are trying that. Nor should we be under the impression we were given the heads up on this issue just to mess with our minds, if it was easy to implent PBEM they wouldve done so and kept quiet about the whole thing.

Originally posted by Andreas:

They have also said that they want to keep some form of asynchronous file exchange mode in, IIRC. Maybe looking at HistWar can give us a clue as to how that is done.

What methods of asynchronous file exchange are there other than PBEM?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

What methods of asynchronous file exchange are there other than PBEM?

Thanks. </font>

Other methods: async game server is one.

Your game connects to the server when you want to play and finds out the state at that time. When you

ve played your move it uploads the state to the server again. Of course, the same amount of data might have to be transferred, but it wouldn't have to be wrapped up in an email and subject to ISP email size constraints.

If the server actually did the calculations and saved the game state, then maybe less would need to be downloaded to your machine: just the movie info.

Of course this latter suggestion is a somewhat radical change in mechanics: perhaps unlikely at this point.

GaJ

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Other methods: async game server is one.

Your game connects to the server when you want to play and finds out the state at that time.

Then you're asking BFC to run servers to hold/support all this data or to outsource that at a cost to a 3rd party. And when the server crashes and turns are lost, who is everyone going to start yelling at? Yes, you GaJ. tongue.gif

I wonder if some sort of a bit torrent thingie might be possible. Everyone playing and currently online helps push small packets of data (pieces of people's turns) behind the scenes. Lots of variables here too though, obviously.

I would sacrifice PBEM in a heartbeat if it meant we could have true multi-multi player. I've got a gang of 5 other guys I play with on a fairly regular basis and besides TacOps there are absolutely no wargames that we can play all together. Plenty of FPS and sim games, but we all like CM and want to play together.

Just to restate what has been said in some long and heated threads before...

We want PBEM in. Very much so. We fully understand the importance of it. However, we might (and I stress MIGHT) run into technical issues that nix the feature. We don't think this will happen, but we don't want to promise something that we aren't very sure we can deliver. The whole problem with the previous debates is that people, emotionally, wanted us to promise that no matter what it will be in. And that is something we can not do.

Sometimes a moment of clarity hits me and I can understand why telling lies is so routine in game PR as well as the rest of the world. And when I realize this I am tempted to give into the Dark Side. But I get over it and instead wind up wasting a few days yelling back at people who are yelling at me. Someday I'll get tired of it and lie instead. That day ain't here yet :D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Sometimes a moment of clarity hits me and I can understand why telling lies is so routine in game PR as well as the rest of the world. And when I realize this I am tempted to give into the Dark Side. But I get over it and instead wind up wasting a few days yelling back at people who are yelling at me. Someday I'll get tired of it and lie instead. That day ain't here yet :D

Steve

Classic!

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Steve

Classic! </font>