Thoughts on 1.03?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far 1.03 seems pretty cool. One BUG I am having though is that sometimes vehicles will stop moving along their plotted courses when they reach the start of the next segment in their plotted path, dont remember seeing this in 1.01 or 1.02. I'm have to replot to get them moving. The bug is occuring maybe once out of every 15 or 20 multi part vehicle patchs.

Also, I really dont know if my very bad game performance is a bug or not, maybe you all or someone from BF could tell me. Its been this way since the beggining. I'm getting really low framerates with this hardware config on these settings.

I'm running CM:SF on balanced level graphics.

MOBO: Intel DG965wh

CPU: Core 2 E6600

RAM: 2GB of DDR2 800

GFX-Card: ATI Radeon X1900

Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2zs

all drivers/bios current

Sound like a bug or is the game just this way?

thanks for any help

Well, I'm happy to see that the beta is over. I'll be ordering the game when it comes out smile.gif

Enormous improvement in FPS. I can do BM-21 bombardments on big maps without lag. It used to cause slideshow- framerate. Now it flies.

[ August 31, 2007, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: thelmia ]

Originally posted by BeauCoupDinkyDau:

The graphics "upgrades" just look like some improved textures. Big whoop--CMx1 modders have been doing that for years.

That is what an "upgrade" is. If the new textures are better then old textures it is an "upgrade".

What is your definition of a graphics upgrade?

The 1.03 readme says it has added a new "Show All Move Paths" to the hotkeys menu. I looked into the hotkeys.txt and it isn't there. It also doesn't have any of the new default hotkeys mapped, but instead has the default command tab keys assigned, so I can't edit the direct hotkeys there without adding all the rest of them manually too. Why don't the game hotkeys match with the ones assigned in hotkeys.txt? What have I gotten wrong? :confused:

Originally posted by tc237:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BeauCoupDinkyDau:

The graphics "upgrades" just look like some improved textures. Big whoop--CMx1 modders have been doing that for years.

That is what an "upgrade" is. If the new textures are better then old textures it is an "upgrade".

What is your definition of a graphics upgrade? </font>

This is the version that should have went to

the reviewers but it certainly shows why BFC

is so well respected and has a patient,loyal

following (there are exceptions naturally but they would have slammed CM-1.0 also) they (we) know BFC will deliver..thanks.

Anyway..did I miss the patch notes which show the Show All Waypoints/Paths command?

Show All Waypoints defaults to Alt-P; only visible when a unit (any unit) is selected.

Results in the interesting case where you may not have awareness of the locations of other units, but you have full awareness of their move orders.

Edit -- might be any friendly unit; I didn't check with hostiles. I haven't edited my keymap at all.

Originally posted by kajones1644:

Yet to download patch as I am away for the weekend but cant wait. I notice from the patch notes that v1.02 saved games are not compatable with v1.03. Does this also include saved campaign? Please tell me I dont have to start all over again.

I UL'd it this AM..my save campaign seem's to be OK so far.

Originally posted by Mud:

Show All Waypoints defaults to Alt-P; only visible when a unit (any unit) is selected.

Can I reassign it somehow? I really don't fancy using a key combo when I can use dedicated hotkeys (P being another command risks that being activated instead if my Alt keypress does not register for whatever reason).

I don't think we're talking about new textures so much as a new way of displaying the old ones, though - I thought there were new methods in place of displaying the old textures and "doodads" on the map which is what is giving the new look so much more depth, rather than just a simple set of new skins. So it goes a little deeper than just "graphics" and actually represents changes to the code, if I've read KwazyDog's comments correctly.
Dorosh is correct. The textures changes only work because of significant recoding work, which is also resulted in some (slightly) unexpected framerate improvements. So it is a "big whoop" since no modder could have made v1.02 look like v1.03 no matter how skilled.

Fireship4,

Yes Steve I have an ATI card - any word from them?
None since they received all the information they need to fix the problems :(

Steve

"The graphics "upgrades" just look like some improved textures.'

Um... no. In the highest quality setting you get something like four different photo-realistic textures overlaying eachother in coordination with foliage types for maximum effect. Its a quantum leap ahead of CMx1! I should know, I've done my fair share of CMx1 terrain mods. If your computer's set for some lower setting like 'Balanced' or below then you probably are just looking at the simplest texture upgrades.

Originally posted by BeauCoupDinkyDau:

As has been mentioned, the changes are far moee involved than texture swaps. We now use a combination of texures for each terrain type so that we remove the majority of the ugly repetition issue we had in CMx1, which also allowed us to adjust the code to show much more detail at a distance. On top of those changes we adjusted the way the lighting engine reacts to terrain to help bring out the elevation detail of the terrain.

Hope that helps explain the details. Not that the new multi-texture terrain is only available in better or best modes.

Dan

[ August 31, 2007, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]