Thoughts on 1.03?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Go into Options and turn off Left-Click compatiability

Steve

In my Options screen there's no Left-Click compatability option.

Haven't had chance to play properly yet, but loving the new graphics. Just tested the Blast order. As stated elsewhere, it now works fine on compound walls (troops will run through blasted hole) but on buildings, the blast order works, but troops then prefer to run round and enter via the door.

So far 1.03 seems a big improvement though. Great work BF!

[ August 31, 2007, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, just tried Blasting another house wall and the guys charged through the hole just like they were told. So slight inconsistency there for some reason.

Now I think I'm gonna sit back with something pleasing and just gaze at those lovely leaves on the trees swaying in the breeze . . . . Oh yeah, and those gorgeous rock formations too. Cool.

[ August 31, 2007, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

Great patch. You've made an already good looking game even more purdy. The terrain looks excellent.

No problems here with the blast command. Compound walls and buildings were entered via the newly created holes. Intact walls also blocked LOF.

Pathfinding is significantly better. I'm loving it.

Originally posted by handihoc:

PS I installed the new Nvidia drivers, but sadly they've not improved the mouse lag/camera jerk.

Have you tried the 94.24 drivers? I don't know what card you have, but I get a massive, positive framerate difference with 94.24 compared to any of the recent releases (even the beta 163.44). As in 10-15 FPS.

Also, it seems that it now actually is good to have the affinity set to both cores on my C2D :D

Yeah, that's what the game should have been when it came out. It's a shame because it was only a a matter of a month. Gamespot would be MUCH kinder with 1.03 :(

Some observations:

-Some older maps look a bit weird now because they were done with the older textures in mind. Particulary the green grass looks a bit brighter/cooler/ than normal. Some more red in it perhaps would do the trick. Overall, when making a new scenario the terrain looks much better, the cliffs particulary. Congrats!

-I get the same checkerboard terrain with another poster in certain scenarios.(wilcox for instance). It must be that hazy effect.

- Shooting through terrain still occurs but in less frequency than before. Seems to have been noticably improved indeed.

Overall game runs better with no random FPS drops. That alone is enough improvement to get back to playing. Thanks BFC and keep it up!

which scenario or scenario's look the best or the prettiest in the v1.03?

I would like to find one I don't know about (I have only play tested a few like Ash Shammas )

I don't care about the forces or winning or losing I would just like a few hints or pointers to check out some new scenarios that are more spectular (visually) now in v1.03 smile.gif

thanks

[ August 31, 2007, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by panzermartin:

Yeah, that's what the game should have been when it came out. It's a shame because it was only a a matter of a month. Gamespot would be MUCH kinder with 1.03 :(

Exactly. How short sighted of Paradox. You just know there was some exec there who wanted his bonus for the Q3 figures.

Myopic managment like my guess is the main reason small companies out-perform large ones. Large ones have people there who are just trying to game their own bureaucracy rather than work to the common good.

And where does this leave BFC? Will vastly hit (again a guess) long term income stream.

Still, I'm still in work - how much better does the game feel to the lucky barstools who can already play it?

Originally posted by Sotoro:

Great patch, but still not playable with my nvidia 8800gtx card.

Ditto for me. I can play, but I have dial down the graphics (no AA, Compatible Textures, etc.).

That part is very disappointing.

As someone who didn't play it before 1.03, I can repeat the enjoyment of the detailed graphics. Watching the 40mm rock with the recoil from each shot is impressive.

I only played 2 scenarios. I still saw issues like an Abrams "floating" above the terrain and the M1126 taking FOREVER to use it's 40mm.

But overall, I like the game and I'm glad I bought it.

For me there appears to be a big improvement on the pathfinding, troops now seem to use the battlebuss as cover when the decamp. That is soooo cool. Noticed a few dodgy attempts at route finding but nothing that isnt predictable (ie when theres not enough room to pass a blockage, which generally u can see is the case but u try to sqeeze past anyway)

But, and this is a big BUT, why is it when i choose armour battles it STILL takes me 20 attempts to even get armour in my force mix?

As they say the 8800 problems are not fixed yet, but I experience better performance now than with 1.02.

PANDUR said: they exhaust themselfs and when you cancel their slow waypoint you get ploted anotherone somewhere else, than under fire they get another slow, its hellish...
It's a problem, but not a killer one. Now you can edit waypoints without deleting them. That means that you can select the "forced" slow waypoint and change it for a quick or move order, limiting fatigue and speeding the movement.

The only thing I miss to declare it a perfect game, gameplay wise, is something to show what course will the unit take while interpreting your orders.

Originally posted by WW2Wargamer:

Hi

Why doesnt everybody just relax, and enjoy 103. We have more patches coming and every thing will be great.

I'm still getting troops spotted and shot at when they should be totally concealed by reverse slopes on which I have carefully placed them.
If they are able to fix game-breaking issues such as the above. There was nothing I hated more about Squad Assault then to place a squad in a covered position just to have half of it cut to ribbons for being in the open. I'll see if that and other pathing and AI issues can be resolved first. This just may be the state of present day Real-time AI programming for now. If that is the case then I will wait for the next release.

Originally posted by Hertston:

I'm still getting troops spotted and shot at when they should be totally concealed by reverse slopes on which I have carefully placed them. Are we going to be forever stuck with that as a consequence of this 8m grid thingie?

I haven't noticed this yet. I'll have to run some tests. Before I do that, are you sure that everyone in the squad was behind the ridge. I have found that ever now and then, you can see stupid squaddie hanging too close to the top.

If this is still happening, I hope it can be fixed.

Originally posted by GDog:

Mord, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a screenshot from my "Warlords In a Barrel" Scenario?

HA! I love it.

10-4. Gave it a go after I installed the patch!

Mord.