Map edges

About map edges, there is a reason why they called it CMx2 instead of an entirely new title. Some parts of this game are going to look vaguely familiar. And yeh, some people will bitch about the map edges. Then again they're also going to bitch about the taxicab tire tread patterns and the way that soldiers hair looks when its squished under the helmet like that.

Wow look at how the map carries of far in the distance past the map edge of the battle.

oh, Iam dreaming again.

I remmember a game called team yankee on the atari st not having map edges. That game is about 17 years old! Team yankee and its sequals were fun games.

[ July 11, 2007, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: mav1 ]

Originally posted by mav1:

I remmember a game called team yankee on the atari st not having map edges. That game is about 17 years old! Team yankee and its sequals were fun games.

I suggest you play that then - it would surely be a bettr use of your time than whining on and on about a game you've not played yet.

I believe Theatre of War pretty much abandoned map edges per se. Don't try wandering off the battle-area reservation tho. And those huge Drop Team maps have always fascinated me. Now that I've got a PC and they've got a few patches under their belt I should look that game up.

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mav1:

I suggest you play that then - it would surely be a bettr use of your time than whining on and on about a game you've not played yet. [/QB]</font>

Sgt.Joch is very correct. The problem is that the hardware doesn't give a toss if the map you're seeing is playable or unplayable, it still has to draw the stuff and that means it has to spend resources on it. In order to compensate we'd have to chop down something else.

If you look at a game like TOW, which does have continious terrain, you'll see a much higher system spec than you will for CM. You'll also note that TOW doesn't simulate dense urban areas, buildings are more simple, the poliginal objects are lower resolution, smaller number of units, etc. compared to CM. This isn't a criticism of TOW, it is simply an illustration of what they decided to give up so the game would run at all. We had to give up some things as well, namely endless terrain (well, even TOW's terrain ends, it just isn't as easy to notice).

Believe me... we spent months on this topic and what you see in CM:SF is the best solution for CM. For another game, like TOW, a different solution may be better suited to it. For a game made 17 years ago... don't even get me started! That's like saying "Ford build a car that cost only a few hundred bucks back in the 1920s, so why not do that today?" :D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Believe me... we spent months on this topic and what you see in CM:SF is the best solution for CM. For another game, like TOW, a different solution may be better suited to it. For a game made 17 years ago... don't even get me started! That's like saying "Ford build a car that cost only a few hundred bucks back in the 1920s, so why not do that today?" :D

Steve [/QB]

Oh well, having dense urban area and more units is more important than continous map edges. It will be something to look forward to in the future, also with bigger map ares in cmx3. smile.gif

Is their diffent backgrounds to choose from? Like flat terrain or hilly terrain.

[ July 13, 2007, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: mav1 ]