Units you'd like to see

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would like to see the Olifant, Rooikat, Ratel, Eland, Buffel for a border war campaign... Angola, Namibia and northern South Africa looks a lot like Syria. Fighting Cubans and Angolans would definatly create an interesting campaign.

I'd also like to see some older American equipment like the M-60A3, modified Infantry and all of the M-113 varients along with different terrain to simulate the Fulda Gap in the mid 80's.

More infantry units are definatly needed... I too would like to see Rangers, Green Berets, SEALS, Delta, Force Recon, Airborne and Mountain troops.

How about just modeling the entire list of deployables from Steel Panthers give us access to a wide variety of differing terrain maps and call it a day! ;)

I think that somehow it will be needed to get out from the Syrian context.

As many pointed out there might be similar yet interesting and different settings...

I also think that US inventory could be refurnished with a good variety of vehicles but the Syrian vehicle park would suffer too much because of its limitations...

Syria will never have some more modern equipment dislike US side.

So that I'd like to see an opening towards much modern soviet/russian equipment like:

T-80 family

BMP-3

BTR-70/80 family

For sure this would help reducing the great disadvantage red side has today vs blue side.

Originally posted by cow_cookie:

HIMARS: Sure, they'd be off map. But our state's National Guard just switched from 155s to rockets, and I'd love to pretend some Powder River Cowboys were backing me up.

I think this is really too low-level. HIMARS would support an entire battalion for strategic fires, not to hit a dug-in platoon...that's what the 81/120mm MRTR and 155's are for.

UAVs: Imagine if you could call up a UAV just like an artillery fire mission to give you a momentarily glimps of the battlefield. Perhaps only certain units would have access to that information or the UAV might only be able to see certain units, but it would still be cool.
Possibly Ravens, the small manpack UAVs, but they are also a battalion asset, and should only be used by scouts forward, so there should be limits on their availability and use.

FASAMS: Every since I've learned what these are, I've wanted to play them in a game. Of course, if you're going to have FASCAMS, you'd have to have a MICLIC.
Again, too low-level. They are normally planned and fired as battalion-level assets, and would rarely if ever called by a company.

BASTARDIZED HUMVEES: Hopefully, we'll be better prepared for the next war than we were for this one. But I'd love to see some hummers rolling around the desert in hillbilly armor. Perhaps there could even be a defense penalty due to the improvised nature of the armor.
I'm thinking future versions/upgrades are going to have this or the ability to create your own.

JSTARS: I've read some gripping accounts of OIF I where JSTARS alerted vulnerable soldiers that enemy armor was on the way. Imagine getting a message on your screen warning that a column of T-72s was approaching.
Again, you "kind of" get this with the C2 function. These maps are so small that you can't help but see/hear/smell units as soon as they enter the range of your M1's or TOW's.

Now, all of this being said, if the map size limitation is increased to, say, 10k x 10k, these things MIGHT become relevant, but until then, it would just be 6 pounds of icing on a 4oz cupcake, for lack of a better analogy. :D

Originally posted by Kieme(ITA):

I think that somehow it will be needed to get out from the Syrian context.

As many pointed out there might be similar yet interesting and different settings...

I also think that US inventory could be refurnished with a good variety of vehicles but the Syrian vehicle park would suffer too much because of its limitations...

Syria will never have some more modern equipment dislike US side.

So that I'd like to see an opening towards much modern soviet/russian equipment like:

T-80 family

BMP-3

BTR-70/80 family

For sure this would help reducing the great disadvantage red side has today vs blue side.

How about Iranian equipment like the Tosan light tank, the Chinese Type 86 IFV (Ianians call it the Boragh), or the Zulfigar 3? It almost looks like an M1, so shouldn't be hard to design and skin! :D

In fact, a great deal of Iran's stuff is based on Chinese equipment, so let's do the Chinese stuff as well!

what really!?

maybe my fault, youre sure!?

EDIT:

BMP3 arena

http://www.armyrecognition.com/Russe/vehicules_legers/BMP-3/BMP-3_Arena/BMP-3_Arena_Russia_Pictures.htm

here it says that even india can have t72 with arena :D

http://www.indianexpress.com/res/web/pIe/ie/daily/19970510/13050723.html

dunno how reliable indianexpress is but its an indian source, quiet old too smile.gif

[ August 03, 2007, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Hi,

I would like to see the option of Republican Guard units armed with the very latest Russian kit. T90M2s, BMP3Ms, Kornet ATGMs, RPG29s.

An assumption that I use when playing CMSF is that the build up to hostilities was 9 months plus and that the Russians decided to back the Syrians. Throw a small fraction of their $365 billion reserves at the problem…. smile.gif

In the most part this means more funds for training and shipping all the latest model rounds/missiles for existing systems. For example the modest AT4, when armed with the latest model missile, is a very potent weapon.

I always use Excellent as the Weapons setting in the editor for the Syrians to model the above.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

I want to see -

AGS-17 automatic grenade launchers

ZPU-2 dual 14.5mm AA machineguns

ZPU-4 quad 14.5mm AA machineguns

ZSU quad 23mm AA guns, SP

37mm AA, 57mm AA

smart 120mm mortar rounds (terminal IR homing, STRIX)

152mm artillery modules

122 rockets with ICM submunitions

Milan ATGMs

PT-76 light tank

T-80s

T-90s

Type 96 Chinese MBT

Type 99 Chinese MBT

Type 90 aka Al-Khalid MBT

Zulfiqar MBT

Tosan light tank

Saghegh tandem warhead RPG-7s

I don't have time to comment on this thread, since it is SO LONG already, but one quick comment about Land Warrior...

We were all set to include the scaled down Stryker Warrior and Mounted Warrior (they kept renaming the project) since they were supposedly green lighted for full production. A friend at the Pentagon (LTC associated with it) said "don't bother, it will never happen. That's all I can say". Sure enough, a year later it was announced that the program was terminated and only one set would go to Iraq because the Brigade was already trained on them.

This is a program that I've been following for years and I am not surprised. The ideas were good, the exectution not so good.

Steve