Remove the time-limit?

I'd like to know this too, once I get a good pace going (as I'm learning) I start running out of time. Considering the pathing issues I'd like to take things a little slower...

I also just learned how to handle (move) multiple units but RT mode isn't really ideal. Once you start a flank or try multiple insertions points the "system" isn't that reliable to let things happen without any hands on... This leads me to want to micro manage each squad, and I sort of jump back and forth...

Anyway, is there a config file I can just add a few hours too...

The time limit is my major complaint in real time mode, at least at this point while I am still learning the game. In my first game time ran out before I moved a few hundred yards. I hadn't considered that the time limit was the equivalent of the number of turns in WeGo. I've switched back to WeGo for now.

Agree here. I began the Campaign and moved at a snail's pace (not realizing the time limit). I wanted to learn as I played. Then the battle abruptly ended saying I got whacked.

I don't want a click fest and a time limit leads to a click fest for me.

Perhaps the time limit helps equalize the battle???

I'd also unlimited time. I have some scenarios in my head that I'd like to do, but the time limit will make them over too soon.

Long, drawn out battles to retake a city. Hate to rush things. I'd like to send probbing teams in and scout, then have snipers placed, then start some small attacks.

Something you could save for a whole days worth of playing,

hm, the time limit is generaly there to give an defender with less or worse forces an chance in multiplayer or to indicate that the "unit" you control have to hurry becouse of whatever fact.

if non of this aplies, its just an amount defined as the creator likes without any purpous behind it smile.gif

So, my initial attempts seem to indicate, that it is not possible to change the time-limit for campaign battles.

The editor doesn't even show the CAM-files in the file-browser.

Can anyone confirm this?

Is it perhaps possible to get into the campaign files some other way - using an extractor of some sort?

• 2 years later...
I've never understood why BFC doesn't allow us to play on, as suggested by Redwolf.

Just let us play the scenario with timelimit, as I have no problem with it, and when the clock runs out show the results but with an extra button to continue the battle.

What about the AI Plan? When the clock stops running on that all the AI units stay put. No big deal I guess in urban combat but a deal breaker on more open maps. Sit still, wait till the clock overruns then go mop up the stationary AI units :) Hey! If I did that I'd win far more than I do :)

Elmar,

I've never understood why BFC doesn't allow us to play on, as suggested by Redwolf.

The primary answer is the one George just gave... the AI is designed to perform within the specified time period. That isn't to say that the AI won't be doing anything after the time limit runs out, but it is highly likely that will happen. Thus an unlimited extension would be pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel. Still, it's not a terrible thing for those who want to shoot fish in a barrel so eventually we'll get around to supporting extensions. But it isn't a high priority.

Note to previous questions about the Campaign... the only way to edit battles within the Campaign is to have all of the raw scenarios, the Core Units File, and the Campaign Script. There's no way to edit the Campaign after it is already compiled as it ceases to be individual battles and instead is a single mega battle.

Steve

The idea of editing a single scenario still stands - even in an urban enviroment 4 hours is enough to do recon, pull back, have a cup of tea, watch the evening news and still have 2 hours for your assault :D

And if thats not enough, play WeGo, you get more actions done per minute because theres no "thinking" or "planning" time. 4 hours = 240 turns. More than enough for me...

the AI is designed to perform within the specified time period. That isn't to say that the AI won't be doing anything after the time limit runs out, but it is highly likely that will happen. Thus an unlimited extension would be pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel.

Will we ever see a more dynamic tactical AI that responds to battlefield conditions? Even a trigger-based system, like "if enemy vehicles are spotted in area A, then move AT units to area B" or something like that would add a lot to scenario replayability. It would also allow things to happen after the time runs out.

While we're at it, why not have the enemy's surrender an option, much like how the cease fire works in H2H? If you choose to decline, then the enemy could slowly and in a disorganized fashion run off the map where the designer designates as the retreat side.

Bottom line, people, myself included, love to mop up the enemy. Especially when your devising a plan and it's just about to come to fruition and the battle ends. Or maybe right before a big arty or air strike just to have the fireworks show cut short.

Give us the option! ;)

Over time the AI will get more capabilities, but honestly... it's not a top priority. We've had these discussions a lot over the years. The truth is that AI is incredibly difficult to program, never gets better than "sometimes doesn't suck", and is never rewarded with higher sales. Believe me, if we thought we could program a much better AI without sacrificing other parts of the game, which do have the potential to make people happier and entice more people to buy, we definitely would. But for now only incremental improvements are planned.

Steve