More Photos of the Day

akd

Army Strong. Captions Short.

adhamiyapatrolhg3.jpg

HIGH-RES

Photo by Spc. Jeffrey Alexander

December 21, 2006

Soldiers patrol the streets of Adhamiya.

size1-army.mil-2006-12-21-110851.jpg

HIGH-RES

December 21, 2006

Soldiers provide cover for Iraqi security forces.

random story:

Soldiers Say New Mortar System Boosts Speed, Accuracy

Dec 18, 2006

BY Erik Slavin, Stars and Stripes

RODRIGUEZ RANGE, South Korea (Stars and Stripes, Dec. 18, 2006) - Air power and ground bombardment came together in a newer, faster way at Rodriguez Range late last week.

For the first time, 1st Battalion, 2nd Aviation Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division combined its AH-64 Apache helicopter crews' firepower with the 4th Battalion, 7th Cavalry's newly deployed M-95 Mortar Fire Control System. Add in fighting vehicles on the ground and snipers eyeballing the valley below and the targets at Thursday's combined live-fire exercise never stood a chance.

"All the work pays off when you get to see them put rounds down range," said Apache crew chief Cpl. Anthony Carrier.

The ground and air elements spotted targets by radio and determined the best type of attack. In some cases, Bradley Fighting Vehicle crews pointed a laser at a target, which could be seen and fired upon with guns or practice rockets by the Apaches.

Meanwhile, Bradley mortar crews fired their high explosive rounds, weighing nearly 40 pounds each, from a couple of miles away.

Using the former XM-31 system, Soldiers had to find their targets with an aiming circle and make corrections after the first firing blast.

The new system is digital. The aiming circle is no longer needed, and the onboard computer displays precise correction calculations on a lightweight display.

The four-man Bradley crew operating the mortar system also can communicate using a system similar to instant messaging.

The system's potential for quicker strikes clearly sets it apart, said Sgt. 1st Class Edward Schlottman, a mortarman for 17 years.

It took up to two minutes to fire during an immediate suppression mission with the old system, Schlottman said.

When trainers from Fort Benning, Ga., came to South Korea to demonstrate the system, they accomplished their missions in between nine and 13 seconds. Soldiers said that won't happen every time and requires a lot of practice, but it is possible.

"We were in awe," Schlottman said. "This is something that's totally separate from past advances. In terms of speed and accuracy, it's amazing."

Soldiers took an 80-hour course with classroom and field components to learn the new system.

The time spent learning was well worth it, said Soldiers firing the mortars from inside the Bradley vehicles. "This system brought us out of the Stone Age," said smiling gunner Pfc. Chris Baker after firing dozens of 120 mm rounds on Thursday.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I saw the pics accompanying that story and it showed the M1064 mortar system on an M113, not a Bradley. I don't know why the article insists on calling it a Bradley.

And...

adhamiyapatrolhg3.jpg

Thats just about the only pic I've ever seen where the ACU actually blends into its environment.

31768219od9.jpg

An Iraqi woman walks with a child in front of a U.S. Army Stryker armored vehicle from Company B of the 5th Batallion, 20th Infantry Regiment at a street in New Baghdad, an eastern neighborhood in Baghdad, Iraq where soldiers searched for weapons and suspected insurgents on Tuesday, Dec. 26, 2006

31772463mw2.jpg

A U.S. Army soldier from Company A of the 5th Batallion, 20th Infantry Regiment stands guard on a rooftop as an Apache helicopter passes overhead in New Baghdad, an eastern neighborhood in Baghdad, Iraq where soldiers searched for weapons and suspected insurgents on Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2006
31772285mv0.jpg31772288db0.jpg

Iraqi and U.S. Army soldiers from Company A of the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment patrol a street in New Baghdad, an eastern neighborhod in Baghdad, Iraq where soldiers searched for weapons and suspected insurgents on Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2006.
31772274ft1.jpg

who has better camo: ducks or Army?

31769664ix9.jpg

31772278jl6.jpg

A boy watches U.S. Army soldiers from Company A of the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment stands guard by the exterior gate while other soldiers search a home in New Baghdad, in Baghdad, Iraq where soldiers searched for weapons and suspected insurgents on Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2006.
31772281qy8.jpg

A Baghdad resident in a wheelchair stares into the distance while U.S. Army soldiers from Company A of the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment search his home in New Baghdad, an eastern neighborhod in Baghdad, Iraq where soldiers went house-to-house to hunt for weapons and suspected insurgents on Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2006.

other stuff

hires_061221-F-1936B-003.jpg

HIGH-RES

Army Spc. Kerry Lampkin points a satellite communications antenna during an operation to find weapons caches and known terrorist suspects within the village of Malhah in the Kirkuk province of Iraq on Dec. 22, 2006. Lampkin is from the 35th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Samuel Bendet, U.S. Air Force.
now we know for sure what those hoops are for:

34599.jpg

A Soldier from Company D, 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, attached to 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, communicates with his squad leader while pulling security during Operation Beastmaster.

The only advantage to the camou tent that I can think of would be the inability of a sniper to pick out the outline of a commander while he's heads-up on the roof. As the picture shows, the commander's apparently 3/4 out of the hatch but you can't tell throught the netting.

The netting is against snipers. See humvee in previous post.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Can anybody I.D. the 4x4 AC in the background? I suppose its either private security or something purchased for the Iraqi troops that are standing around it.

Polish Dzik-3s. Iraqi 6th Armored Division uses them.

dzik3zv8.jpg

HIGH-RES

The 6th Iraqi Army Division's military police company received four Polish army vehicles in March as part of an initiative by the Iraqi Defense Ministry to provide updated equipment to soldiers. The Dzik-3s are a huge upgrade from the light utility vehicles the MPs have used since the start of the war. Photo by Sgt. Kristin Kemplin, USA

Thanks for the info!

Now that I've got a name I've found out the Dzik-3 is made by AMZ-Kutno in Poland, based on the Polish Army's own Dzik-2 AC. The interior holds 11 soldiers (commander, gunner, driver 8 man squad). Has air conditioning. A scaling ladder is often mounted on the left side. Iveco inline-4 146hp turbo diesel, max speed 100 km. Armor is proof against 7.62mm NATO. 600 vehicles are on order by Iraq, the first 40 vehicle were air-lifted in.

Thats just about the only pic I've ever seen where the ACU actually blends into its environment.
I'm pretty sure the whole idea of the camoflage is just to blend into darker areas (like a window) ACUs do quite well. I really didnt like the things at first either but they actually work quite well to present a natural appearance in darkness.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

The only advantage to the camou tent that I can think of would be the inability of a sniper to pick out the outline of a commander while he's heads-up on the roof. As the picture shows, the commander's apparently 3/4 out of the hatch but you can't tell throught the netting.

That's exactly the idea, we improvised a rig for our 1114s for the same purpose.

M1A1 Tank Commander,

There's a discussion over in the Syrian TO&E thread about how hot it gets inside a T-90, which lacks air conditioning. I pointed out that unless it was added to the M1A2 and M1A2HC models, they didn't have AC either, so the ones before that didn't. Supporting my argument was that Dubai, for example, evaluated a specially air conditioned version of the M1 in trials. I know the Hummers didn't, since my now retired from the first Stryker brigade to see combat brother informed me the vehicle's systems couldn't have borne the additional load. Wound up sending him a personal misting system. Would appreciate your sharing your knowledge of tank interior temps and measures to control them in the thread I mentioned.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, I have about 4 years of experience with M1A1, which is the only model I am trained with. Ive never had one with AC. The best thing we had was the turret blower, which is designed to blow out the gasses from firng main gun and coax. We just turned it on to went some heat out. We also used the cammo nets over-head , but only when in AA or BP, although most of the time we didnt have the time to set it up.

I am jelous over the new, modernised Abrams tanks. I hope their crews dont suffer as much from heat as I have.

The cold was much worse than the heat, btw. Especially in South Korea

PS. The gunner has the worst spot in hot enviroment. Atleast the loader can stick his head out. But, when I was a gunner, I stripped down to my underwear when I was in the station, plus I rigged a pipe to blow some air at me

army.mil-2006-12-26-143318.jpg

Photo by Arthur McQueen, USAREUR Public Affairs

December 26, 2006

As smoke obscures their position, dismounted Soldiers begin the process of clearing an obstacle with a Bangalor torpedo (a pipe filled with explosives).

size1-army.mil-2006-12-26-143323.jpg

HIGH-RES

December 26, 2006

A Soldier from 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment loads ammunition onto his vehicle before entering the attack phase of the unit's platoon-level engagement at Grafenwoehr Training Area.

size1-army.mil-2006-12-26-143325.jpg

HIGH-RES

December 26, 2006

Mortar platoon Soldiers load a 120mm round for supporting fire of 3rd Squadron's defensive engagement in Grafenwoehr Training Area.

army.mil-2006-12-26-143321.jpg

December 26, 2006

The Remote Weapons System on the Stryker allows suppressive fire - as from this Mark 19 grenade launcher - to be employed without exposing the gunner to incoming fire.

Strykers shift to high gear in Grafenwoehr

size1-army.mil-2006-12-26-135607.jpg

HIGH-RES

Slideshow: Clearing Rusafa

size1-army.mil-2006-12-28-102518.jpg

HIGH-RES

Photo by Spc. Davis Pridgen

December 28, 2006

Soldiers from the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team conduct an operation in Baghdad in December.

size1-army.mil-2006-12-29-101244.jpg

HIGH-RES

December 29, 2006

Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division and an Iraqi solder provide security in support of Operation Cougar in Adhamiya.

stackeddo4.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army soldiers with 1st Platoon, Company A, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, prepare to enter a home and conduct searches in a compound during a two-day convoy that started on Dec. 11, 2006. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Antonieta Rico
trashpileun6.jpg

HIGH-RES

Iraqi children watch as a U.S. Army soldier, assigned to the 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, conducts a cordon and knock mission outside of Sadr City, Iraq, Dec. 25, 2006. Defense Dept. photo by U.S. Army Sgt. Tierney Nowland
winterpatrolek3.jpg

HIGH-RES

The Salman Pak Iraqi Police, under the supervision of U.S. Army soldiers from Echo Company, 1st Battalion, 125th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, conduct a cordon and search during an operation, Dec. 22, 2006, in the Al Jara area of East Baghdad, Iraq. U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Bronco Suzuki
strykerltcolgk4.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Bruce Antona, center, battalion commander, 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, speaks to an Iraqi boy during a cordon and search operation in the New Baghdad area of East Baghdad, Iraq, Dec. 24, 2006. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Davis Pridgen
ii010307d.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. Michael Casarez from Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, looks at Iraqi nationals as they walk to work in Sadr City, Iraq, Dec. 26, 2006. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland

Good stuff!

hires_061224-A-4520N-032.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Justin Smith, from Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, provides security during a cordon and knock operation outside Sadar City, Iraq, Dec. 24, 2006. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland
hires_061224-A-4520N-081.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Chance Seidell walks behind a Stryker vehicle during a cordon and knock operation outside of Sadar City, Iraq, on Dec. 24, 2006. Seidell is attached to Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. DoD photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland, U.S. Army.
Anyone able to ID the long box mounted to the front of this Humvee? Supposedly something to defend against EFPs.

hires_061228-F-1936B-010.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army soldiers dismount from their Humvee after getting stuck in a mud hole while patrolling through Kirkuk, Iraq, on Dec. 28, 2006. The soldiers are from Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 35th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Samuel Bendet, U.S. Air Force.