More Photos of the Day

akd

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Battlefront, for Stryker topside armor picts I'd try scrolling through the many many images at http://www.army.mil/ where a lot of the picts above have come from. That topside armor showed up when they swapped out the old worn-out Stryker Brigade vehicles for a new batch some 9(?) months ago.

There's also a million-billion photos at Stryker Brigade News at http://www.strykernews.com/

Happy Turkey Day!

turkeycrossinggc1.jpg

HIGH-RES

November 22, 2006

Soldiers from the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division stop for a line of turkeys crossing the road in Mosul, Iraq, Nov. 3, not far from the Turkish border where the gobblers may have originated. Photo by Sgt. Antonieta Rico

Bet you didn't know they grow Jersey barriers in Northern Iraq. Bumper crop in the background there.

Not Stryker Brigades, but cool:

061116-A-2519G-025.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. Dane Phelps, 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, launches a Raven small unmanned aerial vehicle Nov. 16, 2006, during a joint U.S. and Iraqi cordon and search operation in the Patika province of Iraq. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Michael Guillory)
061117-A-5144A-015.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Richard Wiley demonstrates shooting an M-14 rifle to Iraqi Highway Patrol (IHP) police officers during close-quarters marksmanship training Nov. 17, 2006, at the Al Samud IHP Station in Iraq. Wiley is a platoon sergeant with Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment, Fort Richardson, Alaska
AN/PSQ-18A

hires_061119-A-2092W-010b.jpg

U.S. Army Sgt. Kenny Alicea provides security during Operation Snake Hunter in Muqdadiyah, Iraq, Nov. 19, 2006. Alicea is assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division's Troop C, 6th Squadron, 9th Calvary Regiment. U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Lawree R Washington Jr.
And another.

HIGH-RES

Another great multimedia piece from the NYT's C.J. Chivers:

22sniper600.1.jpg

Lance Cpl. Nathan D. Leach, the assistant team leader of a Marine sniper unit, looking for insurgents from an abandoned building in Karma, Iraq.

Nice shots.

The pic of the guy with the M4 and M203 is interesting for two reasons. First, check out the Urban Breach Kit he has on his back. It's tough to find pics of the various kits in the field. The second point of interest is the M203 grenade launcher. See that drum like thing that's on it? Anybody know what that is, because I certainly haven't a clue!

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Nice shots.

The pic of the guy with the M4 and M203 is interesting for two reasons. First, check out the Urban Breach Kit he has on his back. It's tough to find pics of the various kits in the field. The second point of interest is the M203 grenade launcher. See that drum like thing that's on it? Anybody know what that is, because I certainly haven't a clue!

Steve

Looks like a mount for a light to me.

The soldier is wearing a 1st Marine Division "combat patch", so his unit must have been attached to 1st Mar Div at some point for some battle.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Nice shots.

Steve

AN/PSQ-18A, but I put that on top of the pic, not below. Sorry. It's a day/night sighting system for the m203.

Imperial Grunt,

I meant to ask about the patch! This is the first time I've ever seen a "previous combat assignment" patch for a different different service. I've checked Regulations 670-1 and, as I suspected, normally this is a no-no. Army units only. However, in the fine print there was a single exception:

Soldiers who served with the 1st Marine Division from 19 March 2003 to 21 April 2003 during combat operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom are authorized to wear the 1st Marine Division shoulder sleeve insignia as their SSI-FWTS.
So I think we know exactly where this guy was in and around March-April of 2003 smile.gif

Ah... the AN/PSQ-18A. That clears it up completely. I've never seen one in action, only got the specs and training docs here. I figured it was not being used much these days. NG cavscout, is this something that from your experience is used in significant numbers, or is it the sort of thing that was found not worth lugging around?

Steve

Scout Sniper platoons have suppressors for thier M-4s and for the Mk-11 sniper rifes. Suppressors are very effective in an urban environment. While not silent, the reduced signature allows a sniper to take more shots without the sound of each shot allowing the enemy to easily trianglate the sniper's position. Without a suppressor, the golden rule is to take no more than 3 shots from a hide, otherwise the firing position is considered compromised.

The team in the pictures do not appear to have even taken their M-40A3s and M-82 Barrets with them for this mission.

Originally posted by akd:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Nice shots.

Steve

AN/PSQ-18A, but I put that on top of the pic, not below. Sorry. It's a day/night sighting system for the m203. </font>

Originally posted by I heard the Army is getting a new grenade launcher (A HK one) but I have not seen any being used.[/QB]
AG-C, I think.

ag-cmain.jpg

The Marines adobted a 6-shot 40mm grenade launcher as well, but I have not seen them used or how they will be issued.
M-32 in Iraq:

m32iraqrn4.jpg

Leave it to AKD to find some nice pics smile.gif

Yes, the Army is switching over to the M320. Why the Army thought it was a good idea to use the same three numbers as the M203 is beyond me. Gives us dyslexics a run for our money!

Word is the transition should be happening now. We've got the M203 in the game now and might keep it. We have to see how quickly the Army switches gears.

Steve

It looks like we could be losing a valuable resource. The http://www.army.mil/ website was redesigned a short while ago and I have not seen any new photos posted to their 'Images' section since Nov. 8. This site has been my most reliable military photo resource since we first went into Afghanistan! It'd be a shame if they pulled the plug on this. :(

Originally posted by MikeyD:

It looks like we could be losing a valuable resource. The http://www.army.mil/ website was redesigned a short while ago and I have not seen any new photos posted to their 'Images' section since Nov. 8. This site has been my most reliable military photo resource since we first went into Afghanistan! It'd be a shame if they pulled the plug on this. :(

EDIT: nevermind, found them here, but it is sloooooowwwwwww:

http://www4.army.mil/mediaplayer/armyimages/

size1-army.mil-2006-11-28-152001.jpg

HIGH-RES

Photo by Brian Lepley

November 28, 2006

Spc. Matthew Smith and his wife, Letty, are reunited at the homecoming ceremony for 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, at Fort Wainwright, Alaska's Buckner Gym Nov. 25.

size1-army.mil-2006-11-28-151954.jpg

HIGH-RES

Photo by Brian Lepley

November 28, 2006

Families of the 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, see their Soldiers for the first time in 16 months as they file into Buckner Gym at Fort Richardson, Alaska, Nov. 25 for their homecoming ceremony.

size1-army.mil-2006-11-28-151949.jpg

HIGH-RES

Photo by Brian Lepley

November 28, 2006

Soldiers of 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, react to commander Lt. Col. John Norris' command of "dismissed" as they run to greet their loved ones at the unit's homecoming ceremony at Fort Wainwright, Alaska's Buckner Gym Nov. 25.

Related Article

[ November 28, 2006, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

I don't think that the guy with the alleged m203 is a Marine with the 1st Marines, i believe it is a soldier serving with the 1st ID. As explained by the infamous big 1 for 1st ID, the ACU, and the M4. Army guys use the velcro paches, the marines dont have any insignia, except the Marine's name and "U.S. Marines" printed on the flap of the left chest pocket.

edit: nevermind, misunderstood that comment.

Some new stuff on top of this Stryker.

2006-12-05T141441Z_01_BAG212_RTRIDSP_2_IRAQ.jpg

REUTERS/Khaled Al-mousuly

U.S. soldiers play American football outside the headquarters of the 3rd division of the Iraqi army during a ceremony marking the transfer of authority to the 3rd division of the Iraqi army in Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) northwest of Baghdad, December 4, 2006. Picture taken December 4, 2006.

And a Bradley with lots of add-ons:

00878033.jpg

A U.S. tank secures the area at the site of a car bomb explosion in Baghdad on Tuesday, 05 December, 2006. Two car bombs, targeted people queued to get food, killed seven people and wounded 30 others. EPA/ALI HAIDER

[ December 05, 2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: akd ]

31653812tt5.jpg

U.S. Army Pfc. Zach Duffell jumps down off a Stryker armored vehicle after preparing it for a training exercise Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2006, at the Yakima Training Center in Yakima, Wash
31653811pn6.jpg

A soldier walks between two Mobile Gun System Stryker armored vehicles Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2006, at the Yakima Training Center in Yakima, Wash., during a training exercise
31653800zw1.jpg

A Mobile Gun System Stryker armored vehicle, one of the first Strykers to be equipped with a 105mm gun, returns to a staging area after a training exercise Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2006, at the Yakima Training Center in Yakima, Wash.
:D

http://hotair.com/archives/2006/12/02/video-ied-hunter/

:D:D

31656625oz9.jpg

[ December 06, 2006, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: akd ]