More Photos of the Day

akd

32089789wt2.jpg

A soldier from C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Infantry Division talks to an Iraqi boy during a search operation in the Rusafa neighborhood of Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007
32089781rw4.jpg

Iraqi men watch a soldier from C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Infantry Division during a search operation in the Rusafa neighborhood of Baghdad, Iraq, Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007
32089797ou9.jpg

Army Spc. Jesse Jones, 24, from Olympia, Wa., stands guard as C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, second Infantry Division searches a neighborhood of auto repair garages in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007
32089856ha7.jpg

Soldiers from C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, second Infantry Division and the Iraqi Army force their way into an auto repair garage in the Rusafa neighborhood in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007. The area was suspected to have been used to build car bombs
32089855fp6.jpg

Soldiers from C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, second Infantry Division search an auto repair garage in the Rusafa neighborhood in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007
32089801nl9.jpg

Army Spc. Christopher Harland, 21, from Wildomar, Calif., and C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, second Infantry Division searches an auto repair garage in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007.
32089865el3.jpg

An Iraqi man watches Army Spc. Christopher Harland, 21, from Wildmar, Calif., of C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, second Infantry Division search his auto repair garage in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007. The area was suspected to have been used to build car bombs
32089879mq1.jpg

Soldiers from C. Co., 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, second Infantry Division rest after searching a neighborhood of auto repair garages in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007. The area was suspected to have been used to build car bombs

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

73286459uc6.jpg

A US soldier from Bravo Company 5-20 Infantry Regiment takes cover in the shovel of a bulldozer as his squad engages in a sustained gunfight with unidentified gunmen after their combat outpost came under attack, at the Adamiyah neighborhood of northern Baghdad during day five of Operation Arrowhead Strike VI, 10 February 2007
73286511zt4.jpg

73286489ft5.jpg

A US soldier from the Bravo Company 5-20 Infantry Regiment barks an order as his squad engages in a sustained gunfight with unidentified gunmen after their combat outpost came under attack, at the Adamiyah neighborhood of northern Baghdad during day five of Operation Arrowhead Strike VI, 10 February 2007. The regiment combined with the 82nd Airborne division "surge" troops came under sustained fire for almost an hour responding with riffle and machinegun fire as they clashed with gunmen at one of the first combat outposts set up by US and Iraqi troops in downtown Baghdad as part of the new Baghdad security plan.

Stolen - I mean 'borrowed' off someone else's site so I can't relate the provenance of the picture.

Note the thing attached to the front. I believe elsewhere on this group something resembling this (but on a Humvee) was described as a IR beam target that preceeds the vehicle in order to pre-detonate the increasingly dangerous platter charge roadside bomb. Is this correct or does it simply flash "Eat At Joes"?

DSCN0285.jpg

Weapon.jpg

What is this?

Michael Yon while embedded with the troops in Iraq says this was part of a cache of weapons captured in Iraq recently. Drudge posted it and his fans have swamped Yon's website so I cannot find the orginal story by Yon, or any details or context surrounding the weapon.

LGF posted on their blog about it and a couple folks there have commented that it may be a "Nader AT rocket launcher" FAS.org lists the Nader as a light AT weapon made by Iran.

Anyone know what that thing really is?

I googled 'Nader' , 'Iran' & 'AT' and you wouldn't believe how many different weird combinations those three words can be used together! :rolleyes: Everything but what I was looking for.

All I could discover about Nader AT is seems to simply be RPG reinvented. No actual weapon picture (which is very odd), just the RPG-style round. The warhead looks like it might avoid some of RPG's original peculiarities of nose fusing. Was that photo supposed to be Drudge's 'smoking gun' to push a U.S. attack on Iran?

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I googled 'Nader' , 'Iran' & 'AT' and you wouldn't believe how many different weird combinations those three words can be used together! :rolleyes:

Oh yea I have a very good idea of what comes up when you do that.

All I could discover about Nader AT is seems to simply be RPG reinvented. No actual weapon picture (which is very odd), just the RPG-style round. The warhead looks like it might avoid some of RPG's original peculiarities of nose fusing. Was that photo supposed to be Drudge's 'smoking gun' to push a U.S. attack on Iran?

Beats me. Like I said Michael Yon (the book name "Danger Close" ring any bells, maybe?) is over in Iraq reporting with the troops, came across it and posted that he and the soldiers he was with didn't know what it was. Drudge apparently posted a link to Yon's report and Drudge's fans swamped Yon's site. I read Michael Yon's reporting and got clued to it that way.

I suppose it you want to discuss the ramifications of Iranian weapons finding there way into Iraq and so forth we could discusss elsewhere. My understanding is this section of the bbs is not supposed to be used that way.

[ February 13, 2007, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dirtweasle ]

hmm...

blaster-thumb.jpg

"The [1966] Mattel Agent Zero M Sonic Blaster 5530 fires compressed air with a deafening blast. Our measurements top out at 157 dB-above a level that can do permanent damage to the hearing of an adult. We rate the toy Not Acceptable."

Michael Yon's website has finally got back to something like normal after the "Drudge Storm" and all variety of responses are showing up.

What in the World is This?

The reponses fall into categories something like this;

1. WTF / Can't tell / need more info

2. Toy / parade ground prop

3. Homebrew / improvised launcher for RPG rounds

4. Misc other WAGs

Hakko posted a picture of the Nader AT launcher at the Annex and it is somewhat simaler, but frankly I have no idea what it is.

Here is a link to Michael Yon's other Dispatches if you're not familiar with them.

I googled 'Nader' , 'Iran' & 'AT' and you wouldn't believe how many different weird combinations those three words can be used together! :rolleyes: Everything but what I was looking for.

Nader is the designation for a Iranian made RPG-7 warhead. Nothing special. The only reason I know is I once found a cache of them and someone smarter than me told me what they were.

m14rasxi4.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Jason Peacock, a rifleman from Alpha Troop, 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, scans the rooftops from his overwatch position during a cordon and search mission in Baghdad, Iraq, Feb. 8, 2007. The A-1/14th CAV is conducting cordon and search missions with 2nd Battalion, 1st Brigade,6th Iraqi National Police, in order to maintain security and stability in Baghdad

Damn, wish we had a high-res of that one.

070217-A-5144A-243.jpg

U.S. Army Sgt. Mathew Wooden, from Charlie Company, 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, provides security during the reopening of the Al Rasheed market in Baghdad, Iraq, Feb. 17, 2007. Insurgents attacke d the market a year ago putting traders out of business and the community without a place to shop. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Olanrewaju Akinwunmi)

Found the high-res: http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/feb2007/Index/Hirez/368902.jpg

Award for most tricked out M14 ever?

73487999ti0.jpg

A US army sniper with the 3rd Brigade 2nd Infantry Divison Stryker Brigade returns from a mission in Baghdad 02 March 2007. The only issue embattled residents of Baghdad want to talk about when US soldiers batter on their door before dawn, it seems, is security. Captain Isaac Torres heads a Stryker mission to flush out insurgents and thwart car bombers in raids that include house to house pre-dawn searches
wallsecurityvv9.jpg

U.S. Army Sgt. Michael Gibson, a team leader with Charlie Troop, 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, provides security during a cordon and search mission in Al Rashid, Iraq, Feb. 11, 2007. U.S. Army photo by St
stacked2bt2.jpg

Soldiers with Company A, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, prepare to clear a building during a security mission in Baghdad, Feb. 15, 2007. U.S. Army photo by Spc. D. A. Dickinson
armymil200703020804005ddw2.jpg

The Army is now fielding 430,000 new helmet pads, officially referred to as Nape Pads that are designed to better protect Soldiers' neck areas from ballistic fragmentation, to Soldiers serving in operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Oops!

armymil200702270914405emh1.jpg

[ March 04, 2007, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

• 2 weeks later...

it's not a tumah...

070312f0000z1004d6bb4blv7.jpg

HIGH-RES

In less than 80 days, the turret prototype on this Humvee was taken from sketched concept to hard-core assembly. The igloo-shaped structure is designed to wrap around and over the turret gunner, thereby minimizing the sniper threat. The protective prototype?s development and testing was motivated by the death of Airman 1st Class Leebernard Chavis, who was killed by sniper fire in October 2006.

[ March 12, 2007, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

"The Army is now fielding 430,000 new helmet pads, officially referred to as Nape Pads that are designed to better protect Soldiers' neck areas from ballistic fragmentation"

I remember seeing one of the new 97 screen shots where one of the soldiers had this pad. I really am impressed by the attention to detail and realism.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Army is now fielding 430,000 new helmet pads, officially referred to as Nape Pads that are designed to better protect Soldiers' neck areas from ballistic fragmentation, to Soldiers serving in operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to me the the PASGT kevlar helmet provided more protection for the back of the neck than the new MICH style does, anyone familiar with why the MICH is now replacing the other style, especially in US Army units?