More Photos of the Day

akd

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I noticed one of the photos earlier with the guy with the radio on his back. Did the Army switch radios since 2000? That thing is tiny compared to the old SINCGARS.

I'm Marine Comm and I don't even know what that particular one is. It sure hasn't been fielded to us. The antenna vaguly looks like a PRC-148 MBITR but that case is much too big for that. The MBITR can be thought of as a SINCGARS interoperable walkie-talkie. Page 3 has a picture of a Capt. with the handset clipped on and the antenna wrapped over his shoulder. SINCGARS are still everywhere but they've gotten alot of supplementation over the past few years due too its not so portableness. The main ones are the MBITR and Personal Role Radio.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be, when I was playing with it I don't think it even had a designation yet. The only thing I hated about it was that it had no low battery warning. It would be fine one minute and then just cut off.

It is so strange looking at the military from the outside now. It still tears me up not to be part of it. I really miss the guys.

CSA-2006-09-15-091312.jpg

HIGH-RES

by Petty Officer 2nd Class Eli J. Medellin

September 15, 2006

Spc. Anthony D. Johnston, from the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, conducts a reconnaissance mission in Sadr City, with the mission of establishing an informant network of local Iraqi citizens. This photo appeared on www.army.mil.

20060914b_sm.jpg

HIGH-RES

.S. Army Spc. Anthony D. Johnston, assigned to Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, posts guard at a house construction site during a reconnaissance mission in Sadr City, Iraq, Sept. 8, 2006. The purpose of the mission is to establish an informant network within the village in order to develop an intelligence base that will facilitate future operations. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Eli J. Medellin

hires_060914-N-6477M-515.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Cody Stowe, from Bravo company, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, stops to visually scan the area during a cordon and search mission in Ur, Iraq, Sept. 14, 2006. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Eli J. Medelli
If you are wondering, it's a TA55 5.5x50mm ACOG.

[ September 18, 2006, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

nws0917mgsp1sc6.jpg

Instructor Joe Hutchison, left, talks with Spc. Joel Wright as instructor Larry Kirkegaard trains Spc. John Leek on how to repair the newest Stryker. RUSS CARMACK/THE NEWS TRIBUNE
nws0917mgsp2xz5.jpg

The rifling inside the 18-foot barrel of the 105 mm cannon atop the newest version of the Stryker helps ensure accuracy. “If you can see a target and lock on to it, you can engage it with accuracy out to 2,000 meters,” said Tom Crooks, at left, of General Dynamics. RUSS CARMACK/THE NEWS TRIBUNE
New Stryker boasts plenty of firepower

MICHAEL GILBERT; The News Tribune

Published: September 17th, 2006 01:00 AM

The 10th and final version of the Stryker armored vehicle to be delivered to Fort Lewis looks a lot like its predecessors, with one exception.

One big exception.

The Mobile Gun System features a 105 mm cannon. Five years in the making, it brings much more to the fight than other versions armed with a heavy machine gun, a grenade launcher or anti-tank missiles.

“This will bring a lot more firepower, a lot more versatility to what the infantry can do,” said Sgt. 1st Class David Cooper, a tanker who leads a platoon of three of the new vehicles in the 2nd Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment.

The new variant – they call it the MGS – is designed to back up the infantry with a gun that can blast through walls, knock out a fortified sniper nest, stop another armored vehicle and clear a street of enemy fighters.

General Dynamics Land Systems began delivering the new vehicles a couple of months ago, and now company teams are training crews. For now, Fort Lewis will be home to one brigade worth of MGS vehicles, 27 in all.

Local Stryker troops now fighting in Mosul and Baghdad, Iraq, won’t get the big guns before coming home next year. But the brigade breaking them in at Fort Lewis expects to take them to Iraq when it likely goes next summer.

full article

Sorry, I have neither higher res, nor properly edited, versions of the pics.

By the way, Mr. Gilbert seems pretty competent on the issue. He might be worth dropping an e-mail, especially if the local boys end up in a "video game." ;) His e-mail is at the end of the article.

ava_768x542_1158563203.jpg

[ September 18, 2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Summer 07 is the first planned deployment of the MGS. Interesting. Well, looks like we are correct to include them, because the fictional confrontation would certainly speed up the deployment schedule :D

BTW, what in the world is that picture doing on the Austrian Army's website??

Steve

Recruiting drive?

cordonandsearchld0.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army soldiers from Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, scan an open field before crossing it during a cordon and search mission in Ur, Iraq, Sept. 14, 2006. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Eli J. Medellin
ii092006c.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army soldiers from the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team stand watch near a suspected insurgent neighborhood in Mosul, Iraq, Sept. 17, 2006. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Steven Petibone
060910-N-6477M-044.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Anthony D. Johnston, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, waits outside the Al Jezaaer Police Station as his team coordinates with Iraqi police to conduct a reconnaissance mission in Sadr City, Iraq, Sept. 8, 2006. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Eli J. Medellin
CSA-2006-09-20-085759.jpg

HIGH-RES

by Spc. Christa Martin

September 20, 2006

3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Command Sgt. Maj. Jeffrey Du chats with Iraqi Army Sgt. Maj. Muhammed during Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki's visit to Mosul. This photo appeared on www.army.mil.

00822705tb0.jpg

A visitor to the 2006 Africa Aerospace and Defence show handles the newly launched Neopup personal assault weapon manufactured by South African company Gemaco Elbree in Cape Town, South Africa, Wednesday 20 September 2006. Manufacturers claim it is the most powerful assault rifle in the world boasting 20 x 24 mm calibre. Munitions for the unique weapon are manufactured by South African arms company Denel. This is the biggest arms show in Africa with 400 exhibitors from 27 countries displaying civilian, defence, aerospace and maritime hardware. EPA/NIC BOTHMA
Now that's a gun.

Originally posted by akd:

CSA-2006-09-20-085759.jpg

HIGH-RES

by Spc. Christa Martin

September 20, 2006

3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Command Sgt. Maj. Jeffrey Du chats with Iraqi Army Sgt. Maj. Muhammed during Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki's visit to Mosul. This photo appeared on www.army.mil.

I'm surprised that the Iraqi army is using woodland camo, but I guess they don't have much choice in the uniforms they can get.

The old Iraqi Army used several versions of Woodland, as do many ME countries (look at the CM:SF banner for example!). These appear to be post Saddam contract pieces. Not quite sure who uses them as there have been problems with standardizing uniforms. The only guys I know for sure who use Woodland are border guards. Apparently some body guards too, according to the picture above.

Steve

Luberbasem,

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the Army single universal camo pattern?
Logistics. With this decision they now only have to produce and issue a single uniform, no matter where the unit is now or going to be soon. The constant rotation of units into and out of arid conditions is a problem since when they aren't in Afghanistan or Iraq they are in temperate conditions. This means having to issue and reissue uniforms every 8-14 months for each soldier. It makes storage and stocking of uniforms a problem.

I've heard horror stories about x unit being shipped out without enough desert uniforms because their base didn't have enough, but then half way across the country another base sold off 1000 brand new sets because their guys came back and they needed to make room for Woodland. With a single uniform this problem goes away.

Within theater it also, in theory, has advantages. The north of Iraq is fairly green, the south is more or less open desert. Now picture a unit in the north being issued a Woodland uniform and then being rushed down to the south where they would stick out like sore thumbs. Likewise in reverse.

All in all a universal uniform makes sense. It might not be visually practical to acheive, but the theory is rock solid IMHO. And as much as I don't agree with the choice of ACUPAT, it appears to work better than it originally looked like it would.

Steve

Resident Camo Grog

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Luberbasem,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Does anyone know the reasoning behind the Army single universal camo pattern?

Logistics. With this decision they now only have to produce and issue a single uniform, no matter where the unit is now or going to be soon. The constant rotation of units into and out of arid conditions is a problem since when they aren't in Afghanistan or Iraq they are in temperate conditions. This means having to issue and reissue uniforms every 8-14 months for each soldier. It makes storage and stocking of uniforms a problem.

I've heard horror stories about x unit being shipped out without enough desert uniforms because their base didn't have enough, but then half way across the country another base sold off 1000 brand new sets because their guys came back and they needed to make room for Woodland. With a single uniform this problem goes away.

Within theater it also, in theory, has advantages. The north of Iraq is fairly green, the south is more or less open desert. Now picture a unit in the north being issued a Woodland uniform and then being rushed down to the south where they would stick out like sore thumbs. Likewise in reverse.

All in all a universal uniform makes sense. It might not be visually practical to acheive, but the theory is rock solid IMHO. And as much as I don't agree with the choice of ACUPAT, it appears to work better than it originally looked like it would.

Steve

Resident Camo Grog </font>

akd,

The Iraqi Sgt. in Woodland looked, at first glance, like Paul Teutul, Senior of American Choppers, which really took me aback.

The Stryker above the Bradley you were asking about is sporting a gunner protection mod I've never seen before, and I think the Bradley is an M3 CFV with an LRAS (Long Range Acquisition System) mounted on the turret right when viewed from the rear.

I see that some units still have high contrast wrong climate web gear over the desert uniforms.

Rather nullifies the camouflage, doesn't it?

Regards,

John Kettler

ii092806d.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment drive by a herd of sheep in their Stryker combat vehicle during a patrol in Baghdad, Iraq, Sept. 6, 2006. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Martin Anton Edgil
060924-N-0989H-079.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army soldiers search a home in Baghdad, Iraq, Sept. 24, 2006. The soldiers are from Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class David Hoffman

72070028.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B08D89E9FF434F1266C

72069510.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B081E4DFD7E28546A61

72070045.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B08AF9ED7152AEEC59B

Baghdad, IRAQ: Staff Sergeant Justin Schaffer of the US army's 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat team keeps watch 02 October 2006 as his colleagues search bus passengers in east Baghdad. US forces are scouting districts of east Baghdad prior to a beefed up security operation in an area known as a bastion of radical anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's Mahdi Army militia. AFP PHOTO/DAVE CLARK (Photo credit should read DAVE CLARK/AFP/Getty Images)
72069548.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B08963D5EA3E209CEDB

Baghdad, IRAQ: Sergeant Clark of the US 172nd Stryker Brigade combat team patrols alongside his Stryker armoured vehicle in eastern Baghdad 02 October 2006. US forces are scouting districts of eastern Baghdad adjoining Sadr City, the bastion of radical anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and his Mahdi Army militia. AFP PHOTO/DAVE CLARK (Photo credit should read DAVE CLARK/AFP/Getty Images)
72069579.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B0880D06000AC6653FF

Baghdad, IRAQ: A US Stryker armoured vehicle makes its way down a street in Obeidi, a mainly Shiite neighbourhood of eastern Baghdad 02 October 2006. US forces are scouting districts of eastern Baghdad adjoining Sadr City, the bastion of radical anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and his Mahdi Army militia. AFP PHOTO/DAVE CLARK (Photo credit should read DAVE CLARK/AFP/Getty Images)
CSA-2006-10-02-094130.jpg

HIGH-RES

by Spc. Christa Martin

October 2, 2006

Iraqi soldiers engage targets during training conducted by Soldiers from 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment at Nifty Range in Mosul. This photo appeared on www.army.mil.

ii100206d.jpg

HIGH-RES

Iraqi police officers and U.S. Army soldiers conduct a patrol in the streets of Mosul, Iraq, Sept. 28, 2006. The soldiers are assigned to 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Christa Martin
camo for Steve:

31230473.jpg