Give me five reasons to buy this game

The Capt is right. The CM series is everything a wargamer/WWII historian could ever want in a wargame (short of a fully holographic game). The only thing the CM lacks is a full campagin mode, but this is very minor compared to what you do get with the CM games! Once you pop the CM disk into your CDROM, it is very hard to go back to any other type of wargame.

Originally posted by Hanish:

Give me five reasons to buy this game.

I have played many squad board games...Squad Leader etc..and been a dedicated gamer for years.

What will this game do to my gaming pleasure and ability and love of historical accuracy?

1. It is very historically accurate, especially with regard to technical stuff (realistic simulation of armour penetration, equipment capabilities, fatigue, etc), and even the more nebulous like command and control is simulated pretty well. Proviso - the cdv European version has been messed about with in the interests of political correctness with regards to SS units.

2. It's a very good computer game. The blend of turn based orders "phases" with subsequent real-time action is unique, and works superbly.

3. Good editing facilities - as a history buff you may well be attracted to doing your own stuff.

4. Excellent multiplay (people are always stronger opponents than the AI). You can play either networked (local or internet) or by e-mail, the system works well with either.

5. The fine, upstanding, intelligent and friendly community you can talk with here :D

But why read this stuff - go download the demo and see if you like it.

1. Partisan Anti-tank rifle teams vs Italian tankettes.

2. Human wave assaults using conscript troops.

3. Sturmtigers smashing entire city blocks... in snowstorms!

4. BCF is the most responsive and responsible (and likeable) game maker out there.

5. VERY long-term playability combined with a skilled community of 3rd party scenario designers/game artwork modders.

[ October 18, 2002, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

If you played Squad Leader, here are 15 reasons you’ll like CM better:

1. Checking LOS is a breeze – and there’s no arguing over whether the LOS clips the edge of that tree or not.

2. No stacks of counters to accidentally knock over.

3. HIP is simple – and is always in effect.

4. There is no tedious checking for terrain modifiers, movement costs, or obscure rules – the computer keeps track of all that. And the LOS tool will give you an estimated firepower/exposure or to hit/kill numbers, taking everything into account.

5. Solitaire play is part of the game design and the AI can be pretty challenging at times.

6. There are no counters to lose.

7. You can easily play a game with someone in another state, or even in another country.

8. Maps are not limited by the ways you can combine a limited number of boards.

9. You don’t have to decide between CMBO and CMBB, because BFC offers a bundle pack (try buying Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader bundled).

10. A saved game doesn’t tick off your wife by taking up the whole dining room table.

11. The 3-D environment is much cooler to watch than a bird’s eye board view. But, if you like the bird’s eye view, that option is available as well.

12. You can replay your green bazooka team take out your opponent’s King Tiger at 190 meters over and over again. You can’t repeat those dice rolls.

13. The number of scenarios to choose from is far greater than what you’ll find available for Squad Leader.

14. You don’t have to provide your own sound effects.

15. The dice never fall on the floor and roll under the couch and into the heating vent, never to be seen again.

So, what are you waiting for? Time to join our little community! :D

I have played many squad board games...Squad Leader etc..and been a dedicated gamer for years.

What will this game do to my gaming pleasure and ability and love of historical accuracy?

I'll give you ten--that's the number of rounds my Walther P99 carries :D

Fork over your money now or else, comrade. ;)

Well instead of writting a long story why you should buy it, Ill let John Kettler tell you. About a year ago someone asked the same question but about CMBO - and all those reasons are the same with CMBB or even more, so with no further delay I will let John Kettler take the mic.

------------------------------

I've been wargaming since age twelve when I got Avalon Hill's Tactics II for Christmas. If it had hexes, squares or required a protractor

and measuring tape I played it. Whether on a map on a table top, on a sand table or on the floor, I played it. I've pushed cardboard, lead and plastic for almost 34 years, in everything from man-to-man combat to grand strategy, and spent over eleven years as a professional military analyst for Hughes and Rockwell.

In that time I became convinced that nothing could ever equal, successively, board wargaming, then wargaming with miniatures. I tried computer gaming (SSI's Red Lightning) and hated it.

Things looked bleak, for wargaming period was in dire trouble, when out of the blue I learned about two new developments, Panzer Elite, a deeply immersive you-are-there individual and platoon level armor sim, and Combat Mission, which found me while reading a Panzer Elite review, via the now famous banner--"the battalion's ready!"

Combat Mission is immersive, terrifyingly so, but it is the immersion that comes from bearing the crushing responsibilities of a battlefield commander (up to battalion level) dealing with men under fire, men who are far more fond of their hides than in seizing the objective one day, but who fight to the last man the next.

It is an experience of carefully nursing green troops to the objective, taking casualties all the while, only to have the big attack collapse when all seems destined for success.

It is screaming with frustration because fire support is late in coming; it is cringing as fighter bombers roll in on the target while you pray fervently they don't drop on your troops.

Combat Mission is discovering too late that you forgot to shift fire, meaning you are now shelling your own troops. It is the triumph of a well-executed ambush, the sharpshooter's kill of a Tiger commander and the grenade dropped from the upper floor into a Hellcat driving past the window.

It is the shattering blast of a K-killed tank, the whoosh of a flamethrower, the crack of high velocity guns, the roaring crump of artillery fire and the heaving of the earth that goes with it. It is the ripping sound of MG-42s firing, answered by the chugging bursts of the .50 cal MG. It is the sound of the sky ripping apart under Nebelwerfer and battleship fire.

It is the sound of orders given in the language of the men fighting; their screams of pain when hit and dying.

It is of vistas so beautiful they take your breath away, and scenes of devastation which practically make you gag. Everything except the actual performance characteristics is customizable, too--uniforms, faces, vehicle paint schemes, buildings, bridges, the grass itself. Mods galore are available for free.

You can play the battles and operations (series of battles) on the CD, download dozens for free from a bunch of sites, let the computer do a Quick Battle for you (just set the basic parameters) or design your own with the complete Scenario Designer which is included. You can fight the good AI, play by hotseat, play by E-mail or download the beta patch and play on the Internet or via LAN.

What you've read about in the history books will come to life for you when you have Combat Mission.

If you're still not convinced, download and play the demo. Bear in mind, though, that it is as nothing to the full game.

If you are convinced, why are you still here when you need to be ordering?

Simply put, gossamer, you can't afford not to have this game. There simply aren't enough superlatives to describe it. Nor have you ever seen such devotion, customer support and incredible levels of knowledge in the company and here on this many-faceted Forum.

Welcome aboard!

Sincerely,

John Kettler

------------------

[ October 18, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Jev.Dk ]

Because your distinctiveness cries out to be added to our Collective. You are obviously adrift, agonizing over your attachment to archaic bits of cardboard and voluminous sets of rules.

Set yourself free, and become one with us. You will be aCMilated without prejudice. You won't feel a thing.

Your wife, on the other hand, will never forgive us.

I remember with CMBO I saw a lot of people make a sour face when they first heard of the game. "Internet sales only 3-D WWII game? Can't be found in stores or circulars? Sounds fishy - too good to be true, I'd say" was their response.

But BFC has DEFINITELY earned their stripes, and a ton of gaming awards besides. CMBB is the real deal. And now they're in stores too... in Europe.

I only need two reasons to buy the game:

#1 There is NOTHING else like it available anywhere, for any price.

#2 FREE membership on this forum! A $45.00 value ALL by its self!

-tom w

P.S. If it matters the game if BTS/BFC make their games available for Macs and PC's ALWAYS at the SAME time, and that is a BIG one for me! :D

Originally posted by Jev.Dk:

Well instead of writting a long story why you should buy it, Ill let John Kettler tell you. About a year ago someone asked the same question but about CMBO - and all those reasons are the same with CMBB or even more, so with no further delay I will let John Kettler take the mic.

------------------------------

I've been wargaming since age twelve when I got Avalon Hill's Tactics II for Christmas. If it had hexes, squares or required a protractor

and measuring tape I played it. Whether on a map on a table top, on a sand table or on the floor, I played it. I've pushed cardboard, lead and plastic for almost 34 years, in everything from man-to-man combat to grand strategy, and spent over eleven years as a professional military analyst for Hughes and Rockwell.

In that time I became convinced that nothing could ever equal, successively, board wargaming, then wargaming with miniatures. I tried computer gaming (SSI's Red Lightning) and hated it.

Things looked bleak, for wargaming period was in dire trouble, when out of the blue I learned about two new developments, Panzer Elite, a deeply immersive you-are-there individual and platoon level armor sim, and Combat Mission, which found me while reading a Panzer Elite review, via the now famous banner--"the battalion's ready!"

Combat Mission is immersive, terrifyingly so, but it is the immersion that comes from bearing the crushing responsibilities of a battlefield commander (up to battalion level) dealing with men under fire, men who are far more fond of their hides than in seizing the objective one day, but who fight to the last man the next.

It is an experience of carefully nursing green troops to the objective, taking casualties all the while, only to have the big attack collapse when all seems destined for success.

It is screaming with frustration because fire support is late in coming; it is cringing as fighter bombers roll in on the target while you pray fervently they don't drop on your troops.

Combat Mission is discovering too late that you forgot to shift fire, meaning you are now shelling your own troops. It is the triumph of a well-executed ambush, the sharpshooter's kill of a Tiger commander and the grenade dropped from the upper floor into a Hellcat driving past the window.

It is the shattering blast of a K-killed tank, the whoosh of a flamethrower, the crack of high velocity guns, the roaring crump of artillery fire and the heaving of the earth that goes with it. It is the ripping sound of MG-42s firing, answered by the chugging bursts of the .50 cal MG. It is the sound of the sky ripping apart under Nebelwerfer and battleship fire.

It is the sound of orders given in the language of the men fighting; their screams of pain when hit and dying.

It is of vistas so beautiful they take your breath away, and scenes of devastation which practically make you gag. Everything except the actual performance characteristics is customizable, too--uniforms, faces, vehicle paint schemes, buildings, bridges, the grass itself. Mods galore are available for free.

You can play the battles and operations (series of battles) on the CD, download dozens for free from a bunch of sites, let the computer do a Quick Battle for you (just set the basic parameters) or design your own with the complete Scenario Designer which is included. You can fight the good AI, play by hotseat, play by E-mail or download the beta patch and play on the Internet or via LAN.

What you've read about in the history books will come to life for you when you have Combat Mission.

If you're still not convinced, download and play the demo. Bear in mind, though, that it is as nothing to the full game.

If you are convinced, why are you still here when you need to be ordering?

Simply put, gossamer, you can't afford not to have this game. There simply aren't enough superlatives to describe it. Nor have you ever seen such devotion, customer support and incredible levels of knowledge in the company and here on this many-faceted Forum.

Welcome aboard!

Sincerely,

John Kettler

------------------

Holy Crap!!

That is the BEST review of CMBO I have ever read.

That should be framed and posted somewhere!

That was a great post! Well written and passionate!

Its that kind of passion in the players who play this game and the guys that MAKE this game that make it so GREAT!

Its the passion for historical accuracy and making a GOOD game that is FUN to play. smile.gif

(I still think CMBO was more fun to play, but this is just my personal opinion :D )

-tom w

[ October 18, 2002, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

It is, quite simply, the finest tactical level WWII game ever created for any format. Historical accuracy abounds. If you're a true wargamer, you owe it to yourself to get CMBO and/or CMBB as soon as possible.

Out,

Volstag

Once you play Combat Mission(either one), you will immediately see how all of the old board games, such as Squad Leader, are obsolete and archaic. The "we go" system is much more realistic as well as enjoyable. If you're the hardcore wargamer that's into the statistical side of things, you wont be disapointed. All of the information is available to you, such as armor thickness & slope, armor penetration charts, squad firepower, leadership modifyers, etc... Much more detail than in Squad Leader.

Multiplayer - Play by Email or TCP/IP. You never have to worry about finding someone to play because you have an entire community on this board and on the Combat Mission Ladder sites.

Replayability - With ASL you're limited to the map boards that you buy. They can be arranged in any fashion but they are still always the same old boards. However, with CMBO or CMBB you have unlimited number of maps that you or anyone else can make. The map maker is the single most powerful tool for replay value.

You also get your money's worth. With the original Squad Leader, you maybe got 5 or 6 types of tanks. CMBO has every tank ever used in the U.S. arsenal and most tanks used by the British and Germans(west front). CMBB has dozens of tanks and SP guns used by the Russians and many almost all tanks ever used by the Germans. Smaller country's armor is used as well.

Combine that with the scores and scores of other types of units, and well, you'll have more units in CMBB than in all of ASL's add-ons.