And now for my next trick, I will make the v1.01 patch feature list appear!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of stuff going on this week in the big bad world of computer gaming, some good some bad and some woefully disapointing.

So, how about some good news?

Okay, below you will find the v1.01 Version Notes for the forthcoming v1.01 CMBB patch. We have not set a firm date on when the patch will be released, (yeah we're weird like that) but it should be soon. We are planning on co-ordinating with CDV so all versions (Battlefront and CDV) of the patch are released at the same time.

Patch size is about 25 megs with the CDV version being a little bigger because they use a different installer than us.

Okay, here goes. Also included are some manual errata we spotted after we went to print.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 1.01

October 16, 2002

-------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

GAME CHANGES SINCE Version 1.0

NOTE:

Games saved in v1.01 can't be loaded in by the older v1.0. So if you're playing others by email or TCP/IP, make sure you all upgrade to v1.01.

MODIFICATIONS:

* Setting up a defending unit (which is prepared to dig a foxhole) on top of a 'shallow' crater (one that does not register as 'crater' with the LOS tool) will not remove the shallow crater.

* Tracer graphics are larger at higher camera elevations so they're more visible.

* Vehicle bog rates are reduced somewhat, especially in drier conditions.

* Mortars have a smoke puff when they fire.

* Mortar tubes and bases are textured.

* Metallic ricochet sounds won't be played when firing on a unit that's near a metal object if the firer is very close.

* Units' colored bases are drawn at more appropriate heights.

* Passengers inside a halftrack are more difficult to spot.

* The 'split' half of a squad begins with no movement orders even if the original squad had some.

* Action computation is about 15% faster.

* Crews in immobilized tanks do not bail out so quickly when being struck by harmlessly small shells.

* Ski troops moving in a building lose their skis.

* Vehicle rotation speeds are lowered when the vehicle's forward speed is very low.

* Quick Battles may be set to last up to 120 turns.

* The officer-level 'rank' graphic indicating an HQ vehicle is shown for enemy vehicles only at the very highest level of 'identification', so it's now a bit harder to determine which enemy tanks are the HQs.

* Ordnance may be moved through a wood fence (slowly).

* Late-war Soviets, and mid- and late-war German army units, and all SS units have new 'rank' pictures.

* Infantry units are less likely to move out of the way of oncoming vehicles (the vehicles must be heading more directly at them).

* Generated maps which have hilliness set to random will never be created totally flat (though you can still choose 'flat' directly if you want).

* Finns can be assigned panzerfausts in the editor on or after May 1944 (but note that they should be considered very rare before July, and even then are far less common than they are among German troops).

* Finnish StuG III vehicles are now the "early mid" version, not the "early" version (note: 3D model is not changed, however).

UNIT DATA CHANGES/FIXES/ADDITIONS:

* Finnish StuG III becomes available June 1944.

* Soviet 50mm mortar is available until war's end (Airborne uses it).

* PTRD ATR removed from two TO&Es that had it appear before September 1941.

* Valentine IX now carries the Mk. V L/50 6 pdr gun (rather than the Mk. III L/43 version).

* Max MG range for M17 halftrack is now 2500m.

* M17 halftrack crew may not button up.

MODELS:

* New vehicle models: BT-5 M1933, BT-5A, BT-7 M1937, BT-7M, BT-7A, T-70 M1943, Toldi II, Zrinyi, TACAM R-2, Brummbaer (mid and late), Pz IVG (mid and late), Pz IVH, Pz IVJ, Pz M15/42 738(i), Semovente L40 da 47/32, Csaba, Nimrod, Ansaldo CV-35, R-35, R-1 Tankette.

* Updated Textures for all above models plus Sherman (75 and 76mm), SdKfz 222 and all the Pz-IV's from the F2 to the J model.

* Lowered crewman in Nimrod.

* Small fix to 76mm Sherman.

BUG FIXES:

* Prisoners cannot be given covered-arc orders.

* Corrected a problem where bailed tank crews from a saved game would show graphical problems with their uniforms or crash when clicked on.

* Corrected a problem where it was possible to group-select units, and include an enemy unit when giving orders.

* T-40 tankette info panel mentions the combination 12.7mm/7.62mm MG mount (it was already in the game data).

* Fixed some problems caused when a covered arc is set by clicking on the "sky" at lower camera angles.

* Orders delay will update properly when a mid-path waypoint is deleted.

* Vehicle TacAI obstacle-avoidance won't remove seek-hull-down orders at the end of a movement path.

* Update to torso texture for late-war Soviet Naval infantry platoon HQ.

* Corrected a problem with the Play Balance setting, when duplicating tanks they are now given proper HQ links (if any are required).

* Corrected a bug that would show a partially-identified Kubelwagen as a "jeep".

* Corrected the "gun rack" graphic for the Orita SMG.

* Corrected some tank data window display issues relating to which and how many armor penetration data sets (by ammo type) are shown.

* Passengers on a bogged-down tank don't hover in midair.

* ATR units on skis don't show their ATR set on the ground.

* In a TCP/IP game, a squad that begins the scenario split into teams, but during the setup phase is recombined into a single squad, won't "re-split" into an "extra" team upon completion of the setup phase.

* Graphically, passengers fit better into halftracks and are placed more accurately on the SU-122.

* Armor penetration of the Russian 122mm HE round adjusted down slightly.

* Corrected a rare problem where the end turn number was displayed as garbled text.

* Corrected a problem that could cause grain, brush, and rough terrain not to affect line of sight properly.

* Infantry intending to disembark won't delay doing so when their vehicle is bogged.

* Fixed a crash bug that surfaced in the "A Battle of Minors" scenario.

* Fixed a bug that sometimes caused units to be (incorrectly) shifted between battles in a "static" operation.

* Corrected rarity for the 57mm ZiS-2 AT guns in the Soviet Motorized Rifle Battalion (Tank) '44.

* Split-squads won't give victory points to the opponent at the end of the game by counting their men as 'dead'.

* Optics quality is not listed in an enemy unit's data window unless the unit is (mostly) identified.

* A main gun icon won't be shown in the 'gun rack' display for an enemy unit unless it's (mostly) identified so as not to give away too much information about, for example, a howitzer-armed halftrack.

* In a two-player Quick Battle, the results of map-generation parameters set to 'random' are not shown to the second player before he purchases units.

* Corrected problems with MG rotation/elevation graphics on M17 halftrack.

* Sometimes, enemy troops 'imported' from a previous battle map into a Quick Battle would not be spotted immediately at the end of the setup phase when they should have been. This is corrected.

* Crews won't abandon MG-pillboxes/bunkers that run out of ammo.

* Infantry movement speed reduced in woods.

* German 75mm recoilless rifle shows gray camo in early war and yellow in late war (instead of vice-versa).

* Backspace/delete key works to delete a waypoint *during* the giving of movement orders as well.

* SPW 250/1 and 251/1 don't automatically button up to use their MG.

* Corrected a swapped-bitmap graphic problem in the 45mm Model 42 gun model.

* R-1 Tankette data window lists both MGs correctly.

* German 75mm and 105mm hollow-charge rounds don't skip December 1942 for availability.

* Quick Battle-imported troops are not subject to further random experience variations.

* Corrected some problems where the mouse pointer would give away too much information about unspotted trenches, roadblocks, and barbed wire.

* Quick battles played in other than the southern region do not always have "damp" ground in clear weather.

* Corrected a graphical glitch where occasionally a sound contact would show an infantryman carrying a "blank" weapon.

* Corrected a problem where a tank, abandoned between battles in an operation, sometimes continued to move under its original momentum in the first game turn.

* (German version) Minor text corrections for grammar and screen placement.

Game Manual Errata v1.01

Page 9 - CHANGE

Getting Started - "Computers Running Windows"

1. Insert the CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM drive.

2. The CD does not Autoplay. Browse to your CD-ROM drive from the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop. You will see a single file called "CMBB Installer.exe".

3. Double-click "CMBB Installer.exe" to begin the games installation. Default install location is C:\Program Files\CMBB

Page 9 - CHANGE

Starting Up the Game - "Computers Running Windows"

1. Make sure your Combat Mission CD-ROM is in your drive.

2. Click on the Start Button

3. Select "Programs"

4. Select the "Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin" Program Group.

5. Select the "Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin" entry to launch the game.

Page 63 - CLARIFICATION

Antipersonnel Mines

The manual says that units will refuse to enter a minefeild once it is known, however, in the next paragraph it says that Mines that are known are less likely to go off because the troops are paying more attention. That seems unclear.

What is meant is that a unit current moving THROUGH a minefield is less likely to set off subsequent mines as they try to get out of the mined area.

Page 53 - ADDITION

The Environment - Terrain

A description of craters and cemeteries terrain is missing from the manual.

CRATERS

Craters are similar to foxholes in their game effect (in fact they share the same textures) and the concealment and cover they provide to troops, but unlike foxholes they come in various shapes and forms. First of all, craters can be placed by the scenario designer on the map, or randomly for a computer generated map by setting the "damage" value in the preferences to "light, medium, heavy or excessive". Craters can also appear on the map as a result of combat, specifically upon impact of high explosive and other gun rounds and other heavy ordnance, like artillery.

However, not all craters which are seen on the map are useful for cover purposes (ie. deep and large enough). Some craters are considered "shallow" (you will notice that they are a tad lighter than "deep" craters", and do not provide any additional cover. If in doubt, you can find out which type of crater you are faxing by using the LOS tool. If the word "crater" appears above the mouse cursor, the crater is "deep" enough to provide cover.

Craters also slow down movement for both vehicles and infantry, and they also vary in size, with large caliber shells sometimes creating impact creaters large enough to fit an entire infantry platoon inside.

CEMETERIES

Cemeteries provide acceptable cover and fair concealment for infantry units against small arms fire, similar to rocky and rough terrain.

Page 242 - CHANGE/CLARIFICATION

Troubleshooting - Manual Game Installation Procedure (Windows)

The manual game installation procedure specified on page 242 is not valid, and the entire paragraph should be deleted. In order to fit the whole game data on one CD, we had to compress the game data heavily, so that a manual installation procedure is not possible by copying individual files. Unfortunately the manual was already in print when this decision was made, so please disregard this section of the manual.

The "CMBB Installer.exe" file that you see on the CD is a self extracting WinRAR Archive file. In order to extract individual files from it you will need to open the file with the program 'WinRAR' which can be obtained from http://www.rarlab.com/

In order to open the CMBB Installer.exe file, first install WinRAR then right click on the CMBB Installer.exe file and select the "Open with WINRAR" option.

Page 252

Support email - CHANGE

Please note that all support requests should be sent to support@battlefront.com. The old feedback@bigtimesoftware.com email address will not longer be functional.

Page 3

Game Credits

Additional Foley Work - Patrick Zimmerling (sorry for the typo, Patrick!)

Voice Talent - Marco Germani (Italian Voice Talent)

Historical Research - Michael Rausch (providing original Wehrmacht documents, especially on optics)

Additional help - Chris Jenkins (providing a huge database for names for many nations in the game)

Sorry to all of the above for leaving you guys out!

[ October 17, 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Hey, it was there for a good ten minutes. Those that needed to see it probably did. :D

Madmatt

DId he say something about GI Vombat SuCKz or some bad ass thing like that? no no sorry it was something about some Eric guy spending too much time over here reading this board and not spending enough time patching his GI game :confused: yeah yeah dat's da ticket.

I saw it before he edited it but did not take much notice because I WAS TOO KEEN TO READ ABOUT ALL THE COOL NEW FIXES IN THE PATCH! smile.gif

That is a pretty extensive list of tweaks and fixes! Holy crap that is a very thorough List! :D

-tom w

[ October 17, 2002, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by xerxes:

That looks like an awesome patch. I'd noticed the kubelwagon=jeep error, I just chuckled.

But...what about the canister usage at ineffective range bug? Or is this not a bug but actually designed in?

I showed that to Charles and we are still looking into it. The thing was that sometimes even at 200 meters Canister WAS more effective than HE so its not a cut and dry issue.

Madmatt

Wow...that is an extensive list.

I am happy to see the halftrack graphic fix along with all of the new models. Great work again and I am sure everyone appreciates the effort to make the game even better.

Too bad about the other "news". I think Madmatt did the right thing in editing his comments. Even if correct appraisal that sort of affirms the shaky sense I felt about that situation, I don't think it served a good purpose to give even a unintended hint of gloating. This medium is easy to get misunderstood in.

Anyway, looking forward to dl'ing the patch. Thanks again, guys!

BDH

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />* Quick battles played in other than the southern region do not always have "damp" ground in clear weather.

Yay! Thanks Matt. Boy you guys turned that one around quick, we were only talking about it less than 2 days ago.

Also love the additional vehicles BTW. Fantastic.</font>

WATCH MY TRICK YOU BASTARDS OR I'LL KILL YOU!

At least that was the "Young Ones" line by Vyvyan that came into MY mind when I read the header. Your mileage may vary, not that there's anything wrong with that.

That list just goes to show what kind of sick individuals we're dealing with here.

Gawd bless 'em.

Originally posted by Geier:

WATCH MY TRICK YOU BASTARDS OR I'LL KILL YOU!

At least that was the "Young Ones" line by Vyvyan that came into MY mind when I read the header. Your mileage may vary, not that there's anything wrong with that.

That list just goes to show what kind of sick individuals we're dealing with here.

Gawd bless 'em.

I laughed smile.gif

but I would bet most folks in north america don't know about Vyvyan or the Young Ones ?? :confused:

-tom w