And now for my next trick, I will make the v1.01 patch feature list appear!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

BV, I'm sure you don't see it this way yet, but it is really getting to be quite comic watching how determinedly you are fighting the inevitable. Has it not yet dawned on you that covered arcs were put into the game precisely to answer this problem? They replace ambushes and are much more useful and flexible. Like demoss says, "Try it, you might like it."

Michael

There wasn't any problems until now! Jeesus! :mad:

Why is it that only HQ teams exhibit this behavior? Why do the rifle teams under the HQ's command decide to stay silent (sometimes to the extremes) instead? Why can't, by default, it be deisgned so that a hiding unit without a firing arc will remain hidden until fired upon or facing enemies in close quarters?

Vanir, IIRC more of the gun is actually in the turret on that particualar vehicle. They were taken off of blueprints, so the length is correct or at least as correct as the blueprint was smile.gif

Guys, the IS-3 and T-44 are on the to do list but personally I feel that there are much more important vehicles we want to get new models in there for first. Which would you prefer...new models and textures for, say, the Jpz series or models for the IS-3 and T-44...vehicles which probably never saw combat? smile.gif

Dan

[ October 17, 2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Very cool stuff.

Glad to see the Zis AT gun price was corrected for the Sov Mech/tank Rifle Bn.

Sorry to see that MGs apparently will still "run" when routed (since they won't abandon their HW like a mortar crew would), and thus even if they rally, they will get exhausted and thus useless for ~10 turns. Ya can't have ever'ting.

Thanks for the updates BTS!

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Vanir, IIRC more of the gun is actually in the turret on that particualar vehicle. They were taken off of blueprints, so the length is correct or at least as correct as the blueprint was smile.gif

Guys, the IS-3 and T-44 are on the to do list but personally I feel that there are much more important vehicles we want to get new models in there for first. Which would you prefer...new models and textures for, say, the Jpz series or models for the IS-3 and T-44...vehicles which probably never saw combat? smile.gif

Dan

Well duh, the IS-3 adn T-44 of course

[i don't have my particular handle for nothing] :D

Hehe, well put it this was commissar...Id prefer to add in higher detailed models for the IS-1's and IS-2's over the IS-3 or T-44. smile.gif

And this point Im not saying they wont make it in, but I do want to give combat vehicles priority. smile.gif

Dan

Well, higher res models of the IS-1 and IS-2 are also good. At worst some other modder could do the models for the IS-3 and T-44, but I still want it all! ;)

Vanir, IIRC more of the gun is actually in the turret on that particualar vehicle.

Do you mean outside the turret (refering to the M1940)? The reason I ask is that if you set the KV-1 M1939 and M1940 models next to each other the M1939 has a noticably shorter gun, although both tanks have the same gun. But I agree that if the blueprints say that's the way it is then that's how it must be.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

* Corrected a problem that could cause grain, brush, and rough terrain not to affect line of sight properly.

Excellent news on this bug fix, Matt! :D

Overall, this appears to be a GREAT first up patch that means I WILL NOW HAVE TO RE-VISIT ALL THE SCENARIOS I HAVE PLAYED AGAINST THE AI COZ THEY WILL PLAY DIFFERENTLY NOW!!!

Hey, does that mean we got 2 games for the price of one??? Wh00t!! :D:D

KUTGW ;)

AJ

Wasn't there a swapped BMP number problem with the German Flak vehicles? Maybe it was just that the gray textures haven't been made? I recall the early war ones were camo with gray guns.

Did this not get corrected? Didn't see it in the list.

- Old Dog

Panzer Leader,

That is what KwazyDog is saying. Wouldn't you rather see combat vehicles (vehicles which saw a lot of combat, like the halftracks) be done with higher priority then the toys that never saw much of anything (IS-3, T-44).

I'm going to have to go along with KwazyDog on that one. Any of the more common combat vehicles that are in need should come first.

Don't know how long we have before KwazyDog is off working on the next big thing, so put the common vehicles in need on top of the wish list, please.

Thanks for all the nice comments smile.gif

To clarify some stuff about the models...

Every available unit in the game has an already made 3D model sitting on my harddrive (thanks to Dan!). So why aren't they all in the game? Because making the model itself is one of the easier things to do. Once a model goes into the game, three people (artist, Charles, and I) have to put in a bunch of time to get it finished. The total time is around 12-18 hours or so per model depending on complexity, 6 hours or so for something which is mostly based on something already done.

That might not sound like a lot for one model, but it adds up quickly and means we aren't doing anything else during that time. Smoothing out this process for the engine rewrite is probably our #1 priority. But for now, we have to be careful to pick and choose what we put into each patch. We also are dangerously close to overwhelming the CD space and a bunch of fat patches will mean future products will always need to be patched.

So what vehicles will go into the next patch? We will concentrate on the most common stuff first and probably stop when we have about 15 or so done. The IS-3 and T44 really have no place in CMBB since neither actually fought during the war, and therefore they are super low priority.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Thanks for all the nice comments smile.gif

To clarify some stuff about the models...

Every available unit in the game has an already made 3D model sitting on my harddrive (thanks to Dan!). So why aren't they all in the game? Because making the model itself is one of the easier things to do. Once a model goes into the game, three people (artist, Charles, and I) have to put in a bunch of time to get it finished. The total time is around 12-18 hours or so per model depending on complexity, 6 hours or so for something which is mostly based on something already done.

That might not sound like a lot for one model, but it adds up quickly and means we aren't doing anything else during that time. Smoothing out this process for the engine rewrite is probably our #1 priority. But for now, we have to be careful to pick and choose what we put into each patch. We also are dangerously close to overwhelming the CD space and a bunch of fat patches will mean future products will always need to be patched.

So what vehicles will go into the next patch? We will concentrate on the most common stuff first and probably stop when we have about 15 or so done. The IS-3 and T44 really have no place in CMBB since neither actually fought during the war, and therefore they are super low priority.

Steve

I'm afraid I know zip about 3d modeling and how they are implemented in games, but would it be an option if you could make the models with the unfinished textures available so that other 3rd party mod makers could do them? This way you guys get to focus on the engine rewrite while the many talented mod makers can create the textures for the units you don't do that people can download if they want. Let's face it, since even the finished models will likely get modded anyway, why not allow them to finish the unfinished models? There are quite a few talented mod makers here, a talent you could utilize rather than have just have Dan slave away. You also avoid adding more to the CMBB CD since the textures are technically unofficial and very optional. Does that not cover both interests?

* Mortars have a smoke puff when they fire.

* Mortar tubes and bases are textured.

*shivers and and says "oooh yeah, baby" in low tones*

All kidding aside... a very good patch list indeed... but, I still think that 2 or 3 squads as passengers for a large truck is a good idea too...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

Commissar, nope, its more complicated than that smile.gif . The reality of the matter is that probably only 10-20% of our customers whom have CMBB use mods or even know what a mod is. As opposed to that, probably 80-90% will install the patch.

Can you imagine the response we would get? There would be many many threads commenting on it being unprofessional to release untextured models and to be totally honest Id agree smile.gif

Besides that there is all the work done by Steve and Charles to get a model into the game which doesnt texturing.

Dan

[ October 18, 2002, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

I agree with Commisar, Kwazy. I wouldn't mind a crappy low res texture for some unit that would otherwise have to keep a substitute model. Let the modders shine it up. Maybe an optional final patch that has no gameplay enhancements or bug fixes, but has the remaining unreleased models. This way, you wouldn't have to download it to have a "complete" game. It would just be an option for those of us that want those models. This is of course assuming that you run out of time to replace all models.

BTW, thanks for putting the Nimrod in this patch! My whining has paid off!! My opponent's aircraft can kiss their arses good-bye! :D

[ October 18, 2002, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]