What's your optimal scenario size?

What size scenario are you most comfortable playing? What size map, how much time, points?

I've done a LOT of mid-size map, 2500 point infantry-heavy, 35 turn games, but those smaller sample scenarios that accompanied the 'Cook' book (at the top of the topic list) were real hoot to play. And then last night I found myself on a huge open map with dozens of Crusaders at my commmand! Each size game has its own charms.

Which do you prefer?

My last really big crunchtime-intensive scenario (on Sunday) I'd make my plans, plot my points, hit GO, then go watch TV . When a commmercial comes up I run back to the game, return the clock to 0 & watch my 60 seconds. Then I'd make my plans, plot my points, hit GO, then go watch some more TV again.

One of the advantages of the game not running real time.

For an ME, I like both sides to have one company of infantry, with support weapons and a few AFVs, about 1000 points or so. For an attack/defend battle, the attacker should have about 1000-1200.

I don't like large battles at all. The maps are too big and there are just too many units to manage. It's very easy to miss something or to misplace a unit. It's also necessary to play the action phase multiple times to see everything that's happening. I also can't see spending an hour, or more, doing a setup or an order phase.

I couldn't imagine playing a scenario where both sides had about 5000 points.

My preferred scenario or QB is about a company of infantry with HW support and a section or platoon of armor on a small to medium map.

Smaller than that is also good. I can eke some enjoyment out of the big games but in my opinion the interface and game mechanics just aren't designed for the battalion-sized stuff. Some of us may remember that when CM:BO v1.0 came out the point caps were smaller, and Steve agreed that "the nuts" for CM was a company sized battle.

-dale

There are two types I like: The quickies for some fun and action (Still a reinforced inf company with some armor) or the really huge things.

My current favourite has about a btn of infantry on each side, plenty of support like 105mm guns set up for DF and I guess there is a btn of tanks plus several other AFVs on both sides. Something in the 10000 pts range.

Several minutes to compute a turn.

Gruß

Joachim

I like company-size up to half-batallion infantry forces (with or without transports), up to 2 platoons of AFVs in support, tanks, SP Arty, TDs, anything goes. Arty I don't mind much - I always like to have at least one 81mm mortar spotter for quick smoke, but beyond that anything is good, from total lack thereof to twenty 266mm spotters. Same goes for airplanes - I don't mind not having any, but a couple are OK. I don't like all-armor battles though (probably because I suck at them). I guess those forces would be in the 800-2000 points range.

Size of the map doesn't matter much as long as there's time enough for fancy plans.

I prefer the smaller scenarios ( 10-25 turns ). I find that I tend to lose interest in the 30+ games. They leave me with the " when the $#@! is this thing going to end! " feeling.

I also lose track of units in large/huge scenarios. There have been a number of times where I've forgotten all about a unit for several turns! :eek:

[ June 10, 2004, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]