Bye CMAK, good but flawed

Thats it, no more games, at least for a while. The final straw involved the TacAI, surprise surprise, tank commnader ordered to keep buttoned up, TacAI says unbutton, sniper shoots commander. Two tanks out of five stuffed by gamey snipers and the game has hardly begun :mad:

The TacAI is way too intrusive, in some situations the game you are supposed to be playing is taken over by the TacAI, and usually stuffed up in the process.

That plus the restricted artillery, the over emphasis of infantry survival on terrain type, the bomb proof Matilda tank.....

Great effort though, what else comes close, really looking forward to the next generation game smile.gif Which will be out, say again?

Originally posted by sand digger:

Thats it, no more games, at least for a while. The final straw involved the TacAI, surprise surprise, tank commnader ordered to keep buttoned up, TacAI says unbutton, sniper shoots commander. Two tanks out of five stuffed by gamey snipers and the game has hardly begun :mad:

The TacAI is way too intrusive, in some situations the game you are supposed to be playing is taken over by the TacAI, and usually stuffed up in the process.

That plus the restricted artillery, the over emphasis of infantry survival on terrain type, the bomb proof Matilda tank.....

Great effort though, what else comes close, really looking forward to the next generation game smile.gif Which will be out, say again?

You'll take back these words in less than a week. You can't just get un-addicted from CM. :D

So go play something easy, say Advanced Squad Leader....

If you unbutton and re-button them each turn this won't happen. Ever. So I'm thinking you messed up, not your Tac AI tankers.

On artillery I'm with you, the CMBO model was far less frustrating. In CMBB/CMAK if you can't see it you can't shell it, not really. That sucks, fair point. On infantry survival depending on the tile they are in. Well yes, what would you expect? People in woods are going to last a bit longer then people in the open. Bomb proof Matildas? Sure they can stand up to a lot but they can be destroyed. You think they are too tough? I get the impression the Italians and the DAK shared your view.

End of this year, early next. Or therabouts. In the mean time, load up GI Combat every time you get tired of CMAK. Works great.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sand digger:

If you unbutton and re-button them each turn this won't happen. Ever. So I'm thinking you messed up, not your Tac AI tankers.</font>

Originally posted by Joques1:

Care to sell me your copy? :D

I'm recently getting back into CM after a year or so. But CMAK is unavailable...

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Ebay!

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Ebay!

Ebay, Ebay, Ebay!

:D

If you open and reclose an AFV in the orders phase it is guaranteed to stay closed for this action phase. You have to re-do that every orders phase.

This change has been introduced in CMBB 1.02 IIRC.

I would have preferred to never have human- controlled tanks open themself. The thread recognition algorithm used is just too underdeveloped and the opposite of realistic, e.g. the tanks unbutton when artillery is going off near them.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

I would like to see an optional "Use decoy mannequinn's head" command, which would be used in place of unbuttoning the TC, and for the express purpose of pissing off the other side's sharpshooters.

Won't work.

I'll just issue the new "ignore first target" command.

I'm curious what tank was involved with the unbuttoning. I'm going to guess that had some bearing on what happened since, as everybody else has commented, unbuttoning is not something the TacAI likes to do.

The TacAI only takes control of your guys when you screw up. The more you screw up, the more the TacAI comes into play. And for whatever mistakes the TacAI makes, in general the alternative (i.e. no TacAI involvement) is far worse on average.

Steve

A tank type with no cupola and lousy vision while closed-up would sorta have to keep unbuttoning or be blind! I've found that once close-in battle has been joined my tankers will more often than not quite happily stay buttoned. Its most often during the opening phases of a game that the TCs are more liable to get plugged.

You can't really say its inaccurate that TCs in close-in fights are at risk. CM maps are not usually set up to allow tanks to stand off from a target at a nice safe distance and merrily blast away. When was the last game than anyone had the willpower to keep their armor back out of rifle range during an attack?

For those of you nostalgic for CMBO, I recall that a tank with a killed commander would be TOTALLY out of the action in that game!

GER11.jpg

See that cylinder on top of the turret? That's a cupola. It is also the commander's hatch. It also has view ports (or sumfink) for the commander, giving him a 360 degree view.

Before cupola's were implemented, tank commanders could only see to a few selected directions without exposing their heads by opening the hatch.

Originally posted by Sergei:

GER11.jpg

See that cylinder on top of the turret? That's a cupola. It is also the commander's hatch. It also has view ports (or sumfink) for the commander, giving him a 360 degree view.

Before cupola's were implemented, tank commanders could only see to a few selected directions without exposing their heads by opening the hatch.

Is that the tank you whittled out of soap to try to get yourself out of prison or summfink?