ROW V

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jbertles:

Attention Group 10:

Andrew Kulin (aka Ankulin) is having a motherboard replaced and will be out of touch for about a week. He wanted me to let you know (he's one of my regular opponents) that he is definitely in, but will have to have a slightly late start. CombinedArms, I know that you are in that group, so perhaps you can forward this info.

Thanks, John,

I have received responses from all the other players in the section. Good to know that Andrew will be with us soon.

:D

Originally posted by Grimthane:

Nobody really believes Cpl Carrot did this randomly do they?

He clearly employed his well developed sense of humour instead, deliberately incensing impending victims like GreenAsJade by having them wiped out early by members of their own family....

While everyone agrees I have a very weird sense of humour, I must admit the draw is not random. Pseudo-random is the best I could do with a computer.

The groups members can be changed about if there is a serious request, but I assume it is all banter at the moment.

Originally posted by Richie:

There are 3 winners, and they will all get wine, but someone will get the best score!

As usual, I'll reserve the best wine for the best scorer ... :D

Charl

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Co-creator & Sponsor of the following CM tournaments:

</font>

--------------

Do remember the CM is really all we have. There are no alternatives for true, unhinged grogs. Currently, the CM games are not just games, but real works of military history. – Kip Anderson 28 Oct02

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

...and $20 US will be sent to the highest scoring of the three winners so he can get some cheese to go with his wine...

Winecape,

After I win this tourney I would like my white wines to come from grapes blessed with Noble Rot, even the dryer whites. The complexity added by Botrytis Cinerea I really enjoy. smile.gif I'm getting a little culture, you see.

Kingfish,

There will be conflict of interest when Treeburst receives his own $20.00, not?

Botrytis it will be; I see that CMBB scenario of mine has rotted away on your hard drive after such strenous abuses...

Sincerely,

Charl

logo.gif

------------

Murphy's 5th Law of Combat: Never share a foxhole with anyone braver then you are.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

While I think of it, on the subject of half squads, it's pretty clear that the designers of the Combat Mission series didn't intend the game to be (ab)used with each capable squad being automatically broken up into a half squad at game commencement. If they did then I'm sure they would have chosen the half squad as the basic infantry sized unit. With this in mind I intend to hopefully come to some agreement with whoever my opponents are that there be no excessive splitting up of squads into half squads with probably a 50% of the force being the rough upper limit. Obviously it's hard to police but I think it would be clear during the game whether such splitting is being abused or not.

Jim R.

And will you also be pre-negotiating all the other gamey things that can be done? No attacking up the sides? No jeep recon? What about Marm-Herr recon? Crew recon?

I certainly wasn't expecting there to be a "negotiation phase" before the battle...

I'm hoping it wont come to that however as it becomes tedious to the point of boredom having to micro-manage twice as many infantry units than the game designers originally intended.

I thought this was a tournament to for people who want play CM. CM has a set of rules. Are we adding more? People who want to play CM usually _like_ giving orders. If you want to minimise your orders time, why don't you play FPS instead?

I might split all my squads in two just to give myself double the enjoyment from each battle :D

GaJ.

Steve, BFC: "If both sides play with all their squads in halves... it is more even, and in some ways a little more realistic." </font>

Originally posted by jwxspoon:

I'm sure there's enough residual hate left. Just in case there isn't, let me mention:

Fire on the Mountain

The Christmas Battle

Proof of Honor

Squeezing the Melon

There, I can feel the hate welling up now.

jw

Actually, I rather liked ALL of those battles in their original form. In my game of Proof of Honour the fog has proven a blessing as the defender rather than a hinderance.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

I might split all my squads in two just to give myself double the enjoyment from each battle :D

You get enjoyment from the graphical representation of more bodies? smile.gif I suggest quartering them...they're all doomed anyway....doomed! </font>

Originally posted by Kingfish:

I will post a list of the people that I have in my contact list. If you are on that list, then consider yourself signed up. Otherwise, please e-mail me.

Keep in mind that the sheet may go up today. I don't know for sure. But if it does I would prefer that everyone sign up there, and save me the trouble of sending out 50+ individual e-mails.

Edit:

Here is the list.

Ace Pilot

Adres

AnKulin

BigMik1

Bulldog

Capt T

Combined Arms

Dangerous Dave

David Leaper

Dawg Bonz

Elmar

Flammenwerfer

Flenser

Frenchy

General Colt

Green as Jade

Jaws

jbertles

JC_Hare

Jeff Wilders

Jim Crowley

JohnO

Jon L

JonS

Kanonier Reichmann

Ken Fedorofoff

Larry Thorne

Londoner

Lt Bull

Malakovski

Melnibone

Michael Dorosh

Mick OZ

mPisi

Nefarious

Nestor

Other Means

OWL

PFC Driscoe

PittPanther31

Steve McClaire

Tabpub

Ted

The Capt

The Enigma

Treeburst155

Uhduck

Vadr

Walpurgis Night

Kingfish,

I have not been contacted yet, even though my name is on this list of players which are signed up.

JC_Hare,

The reason you had not been contacted, and your name was not in our database, was because the online sheet finally did go up and everyone was required to signup there (Please note the second paragraph in the quote). Also, please refer to page 5 of this thread, 3 post down (mine), and third paragraph.

I see you are now signed up as a reserve. As I have mentioned earlier, the chances of a reserve being called on to play are very good. IIRC, we had the same number of reserves for ROW IV, and ended up going thru all of those and well into a second group before the tourney was completed. One guy even managed to go straight from reserve list into the finals.

My apologies if I caused any confusion with my above quote.