Who will be playing in years to come

As long as there people willing to play, I for one can see playing for years. Unless an updated WWII era wargame is released, of course.

To me this game is akin to digital miniatures battles or chess. The fun is in playing with others in a facinating genre, not so much the technology involved. The internet allows me to play people from all over the globe w/o having to go to a convention

To me this game is akin to digital miniatures battles or chess. The fun is in playing with others in a fascinating genre, not so much the technology involved. The internet allows me to play people from all over the globe w/o having to go to a convention
I must agree, I really enjoy being able to play people from different parts of the word, also the PBEM makes it easy to fit it in on free time.

CMx2 WWII will need a lot of work to get up to the standard of CMx1, until that happens, I can't see leaving these games. Best on the market, even today.
I will be downloading the 1.4 demo to see how the system is coming but I wonder if it can replace the old also.

I still play close combat 2 from 1995
Was my favorite for about 4 years, but these are so much more flexable and easy to work with, I cannot go back to close combat and enjoy it much.

I just went back to playing CMBO and it is still great.

Never left it, play all three. Have one PBEM going right now with CMBO.

Great comments, hopefully others will input also.

I will be playing CMx1 for a very long time.

I look forward to a WW II CMx2, and agree that even once it's released it will take years for it to develop the maturity and depth of subject matter of CMx1.

I had hoped that the CMx1 series would develop into something a bit more like Steel Panthers or the old SPI tank warfare series. My dream would have been to see the development of modern warfare traced from the Spanish Civil War, through the early battles in France, to the last Soviet tank attacks in Manchuria in '45.

I know there are mods out there that cover some of this, but knowing that the unit models are really something else is profoundly disturbing to me. What's under the hood needs to match the appearance -- so I keep hoping that Battlefront will eventually feel financially secure enough to relent and re-issue CMBO to CMAK standards (I miss Volksturm and Koenigtigers), and then follow it up with a release of Combat Mission Fall of France.

But I know the difference between fantasy and reality.

I'm done with CMx1. Played 100's of hours and enjoyed all of them but sorry to say it's over. Since CMx2 came out with the RT and updated graphics I just can't go back. Never dreamed I'd like RT but the speed of play makes up for lack of planning every move for every unit down at level 1 detail. Which you can still do playing WeGo but it's just to slow. Not to mention I think I've played every scenario 10 times. QB's aren't my thing as they are usually flag rushes with cherry picked units. So it's good bye ol friend it was grand.

Never dreamed I'd like RT but the speed of play makes up for lack of planning every move for every unit down at level 1 detail. Which you can still do playing WeGo but it's just to slow. Not to mention I think I've played every scenario 10 times. QB's aren't my thing as they are usually flag rushes with cherry picked units.
I have to agree about QB's, but plenty seem to like doing just that, they feel its the farest method to test talent, I guess.

Nothing bad about RT either, but I see the older I get the more I like thinking games that test me mentally in concept over how fast can I think, process and respond in non stopping action.

Play every game ten times, not a problem for me. PBEM speed, it will take years to play all the scenario's out there, and then nothing stopping me from making my own either. So get that CMx2 to the same level and on I move but for now this seems to be my source of enjoyment for the near future

Originally posted by bwgulley:

I think I've played every scenario 10 times.

There's a serious disconnect here. If you're aware of the resources that are available, there are easily a thousand CMx1 scenarios out there. I find it a bit unlikely that you've managed to play ten thousand plus games of CMx1 in such a short period of time, especially since a fair number of those thousand or so scenarios are operations.

A goodly number of the scenarios were preserved at cmmods as part of three series of files called Scenario Depot Salvage. You might want to take a look.

I don't ever expect to play through all the CMx1 scenarios even once. There is no reason (apart from checking out texture mods) to ever have to fire up a QB if you don't want to (and if you like QB's for some reason, there are some pretty extensive collections of maps out there as well).

I still play CMBB more than any other title. Certainly more then CMSF. I am still trying to get something remotely like coverage of the major periods of fighting in the east. I haven't remotely lost interest. If an east front CMx2 comes out, I will certainly try it. The model is different enough, I don't know at the moment whether I'd prefer it - I'll jump off that ledge when it comes up. Until then, CMBB is where it is at.

For the forseeable future I'll be playing CMBO, CMBB and CMAK. Tried the CMSF demo and it just doesn't meet my expectations of where the game should be. Graphics are nice but I don't see much under the hood. Poor implementation of QB and completely scripted AI kills it for me out of the box. In the demo's second mission where you have the Americans facing off against the syrians the scripted AI real showed itself.

THANKS to BOB Millard (AKA BRITISH TOMMY) for introducing me to the game a few years ago! Cheers mate! :D;)

Combat Mission is the best wargame (CMBO/CMAK/CMBB - especially the latter two) to ever come out, as far as I know. The combination of historical units and situations, the variety of nations represented, the depth of tactics, replayability, and play options (from TCP to PBEM) make this the best all around wargame of all time. Not to mention the ability to create scenarios! Oh, and CMETO, the modification of CMAK which covers CMBO scenarios and the European Theatre of Ops (France, Germany, Belgium, etc), is fantastic. Until CMx1 is topped, I'm sticking with it. smile.gif

P.S. Like Philippe said though, an updated version of CMBO with King Tigers and M-36 Jacksons would be nice. ;)

As long as the engine of my computer recognizes the Combat Mission language I can't see me stop playing these games. Still play all three of them and I've got more games running at the moment then one or two years ago !

Still haven't seen all the weapons available in the game(s). So much to discover yet...

Better graphics would be nice, but in the end, that doesn't make the game as such better.

Well, I still play the close combat games, and all three CMx1 games are on my computer right now, I think I will be playing these games for a long time.

The simple fact for me is I can make any battle I want, how I want, and play it however I want. Any game that allows me to do that is a game I will never get rid of. I will probably be sitting around someday playing CMx1 while my kids are playing CMx5 or something, and laughing at me.

Yeah, still a top game that I can't imagine giving up. PBEMs are a part of my life that I would miss, not just for the exercise in tactical thinking but also because of the social dimension.

I've got a CMSF PBEM going, but the files are soooo big. Can't imagine having more than a couple of games going at one time, and playing TCP requires too much time when both players are available, which is a pain when you live in different timezones. So CMX1 PBEMs for the foreseeable future anyway.

What else has PBEMing CMX1 done for me? Well, it has spoiled playing vs AI in most other games. Playing solo seems a poor substitute and if I have some spare time to play vs AI I just can't take the planning seriously - because its 'only' the AI.

Edit to add: Gosh, SLIM, we're almost neighbors!