Who will be playing in years to come

By Sivodsi

What else has PBEMing CMX1 done for me? Well, it has spoiled playing vs AI in most other games. Playing solo seems a poor substitute and if I have some spare time to play vs AI I just can't take the planning seriously - because its 'only' the AI.

Boy, if this is not a true statement. I find I like playing the AI in only one system and that is the Total war series, maybe that is because of my level of play, but I enjoy what the game does manage to toss at me in challenges at times.

Nothing like intelligent play from another person that has a understanding about tactics, CMx1 is the only format at the large tactical level that I enjoy at that.

I just reinstalled BO, BB and AK after a gap of a couple of years, and am enjoying them now as much as I ever did - more so, in fact, because I took the time this time around to start on the various help threads round these parts and am slowly beggining to learn how to use various unit types to take advantage of their strengths. As opposed to my old technique of throwing everything at the enemy and watching my forces get decimated every time. redface.gif

Originally posted by Colonel J Lee:

Combat Mission is the best wargame (CMBO/CMAK/CMBB - especially the latter two) to ever come out, as far as I know. The combination of historical units and situations, the variety of nations represented, the depth of tactics, replayability, and play options (from TCP to PBEM) make this the best all around wargame of all time. Not to mention the ability to create scenarios! Oh, and CMETO, the modification of CMAK which covers CMBO scenarios and the European Theatre of Ops (France, Germany, Belgium, etc), is fantastic. Until CMx1 is topped, I'm sticking with it. smile.gif

P.S. Like Philippe said though, an updated version of CMBO with King Tigers and M-36 Jacksons would be nice. ;)

I started playing when CMBB came out and immediately loved it. BB and AK are the two best wargames ever made in my opinion. As a Scenario player first and foremost I have played roughly 700 of them and continue to find new ones all the time.

Sure the graphics arent state of the Art, but the game play is great. The controls are intuitive and allow me to do everything with the Mouse (cmx2 takes a step back here with its unwieldy controls).

I too hoped that one day CMAK would have had a Westfront module to include the KT and others such as Cromwells, thats not going to happen now though.

For me the longevity lies in its depth and focus. Something that CM-2 isnt going to aspire too. If the ww2 version has the same limited forces I think I shall still play it, but like SF not as much as I will still be playing CM-1 games.

Like the Rock band that makes the definitive album on their first attempt I think BF have made the definitive game here and sadly never again shall we see another like it.

• 2 weeks later...

CMx1 is still the most accurate simulation of WWII tactical ground combat.

Accuracy seems to be a bit of a niche market. There doesn't seem to be anyone trying to equal, much less surpass, CM's focus on realism.

I hope that CMx2 will lay the groundwork for brilliant WWII simulations in the future, though I haven't been excited by the reduction in the scale of the battles. I've become quite fond of the ability to fight battalion/brigade sized battles.

BTS/BFC gave us a richly textured gift in the form of the CMx1 games. I've been playing them for about six years now, and it seems that there will be no significant comptetition to their specialized focus for years, if ever. I'm willing to maintain whatever old, clunky computer system it takes to keep CMx1 playable!

I'll be playing these games for years. 'Les Grognards' might compete with it for my gaming time, when it comes out . . . ;)

Originally posted by GSX:

Never say never my friend, who knows what the future holds in regard to new War games or new companies for that matter and this beloved CM of ours could be a big influence on that CM potential beater. ;)

As for myself I still continue to play all 3 CMs as and when I have the time and the right frame of mind - naturally. smile.gif

Still great games even now and although the graphics show their age (so to speak), the gameplay can't be faultered, and I've certainly had my moneys worth and then some. :D