What games do you play besides Combat Misson?

I'm wondering what kind of games Combat Mission fans play besides Combat Mission. Personally I enjoy CMBO and CMBB the most, but I also enjoy playing Medieval Total War, Steel Panthers World at War, Steel Panthers MBT, Steel Beasts and IL-2 Stormowik. Is anybody for example still playing Panzer Commander? It's an old game, but as far as I know the only WW2 tank sim around. What games do YOU like?

P.s. just for the record, Combat Mission is by far my favorite game on which I spent by far the most time, so no argument there.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well while im downloading that petite little patch of 20+ megs with my super fast 56k modem i might as well answer some posts...

i play the following games right now (when i can drag my sorry a** from CMBB of course):

GTA Vice City - Mayhem is FUN!

Rainbow Six 3: Raven shield - still waiting for modding tools!!!

Morrowind: probarbly the only game that rivals CMBB in playing hours on my machine...

OP Flashpoint - all of the versions... but i dont like the way vehicle damage is modeled...

and of course the occational game of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy: the dos game... its just to much fun!!! :D:D

I've been playing Imperialism I incessantly for the last three months, but I think I am tired of it now. I've been eyeing my copy of Links Championship Edition, which I bought last year but have never really gotten around to playing.

What I'd really like is a nice operational level game that would play on the Mac. Which reminds me: I notice that Airborne Assault seems to have been dropped from the BFC product line. What happened?

Michael

Originally posted by aragorn2002:

I'm wondering what kind of games Combat Mission fans play besides Combat Mission. ...

Wait a minute! Do you mean to tell us that there are [shudder]other[/shudder] games? :confused:

Are they really <big>G</big>ames, or just something one does while waiting for a PBEM file to land in one's inbox?

Hi

Still playing a little of Talonsofts Eastern & Western Fronts, IL2, European Air War, Airborne Assault and also some Miniatures related stuff.

BTW there is a WWII Tank Sim entitled Panzer Elite (by JoWood Productions) which is quite good (includes Inf) but proved too tough on my mark 1 eyeballs smile.gif

Gary

mainly quick fix FPS's. DoD retail right now (despite me far prefering the beta). Desert Combat for bf1942 was ok for a few weeks.

BUT, i've recently started my first ever PBEM's. now all i do is leave the PC on & watch telly waiting for my inbox to beep. i am absolutely hooked. i think, in a strange S&M way because it's so stretched out. i've got time to wonder what will happen in the movie while i'm waiting. genius, pure genius.

i play some other games with Mrs Means but they have no bearing here. <strike>except that i've stopped them by waiting for mail.</strike>

Besides CMBO n' CMBB,

Wargames

SPWAW

Panzer Campaigns: Smolensk41, Korsun 42, Kursk 43, Normandy 44, Bulge 44, and Sicily 44 on order.

Talonsoft East/West Front, ACOW

Flight Sims

IL2/IL2FB

Falcon 4

Red Baron

Racing Sims

F1 2002

GP4

GP Legends

FPS

Ghost Recon

OPF

Misc. others

Galciv

Morrowind

Silent Hunter II

Sub Command

Europa Univ II

CMBB is my favorite game but do like to play others just for variety. Especially like to do PBEM games. Currently playing these other games:

Space Empires IV gold

Civilization III -Play the World

Medieval Total War - Viking Invasion

Uncommon Valor

Hearts of Iron

I also like the following games but have not played them much lately:

Master of Orion II - forget MOO III

Europa Universallis II

Star Wars Rebellion

Age of Wonders II

Empire Deluxe

Guest Mike

Ditto on MOO III

I've just bought Galactic Civilisations as a replacement for MOO 3 - haven't gotten into it yet tho, and also IL-2 I've jsut bought as the discounts start but haven't started playing.

Things I DO play:

DBAOL

Medieval Total War

Here are the games stil gracing my desktop.

Morrowind

Seadogs

Medal of Honour:Allied Assault

Medieval Total War

Jagged Aliance 2

X-COM Enemy Unknown

CombatFlight Simulator

and rather bizarly: Cripple Mister Onion.

Future buys this year are likely to be:

UFO Aftermath

CM:AK (duh)

Pirates of the Carribean (Seadogs 2)

anyone got any more games we need to be aware of?

For me CMBB is number one, but the others I play:

IL-2: Forgotten Battles

Operation Flashpoint (All the modded missions)

Medieval Total War

Ghost Recon (All versions, plus modded missions)

Can't wait for:

Rome Total War

Ghost Recon 2

Operation Flashpoint 2

BigMik1

I got MTW:Viking Invasion about 3 weeks ago, so when I'm not playing CMBB I've been playing around with that ( learning mostly - big difference & nice change from from WWII ). I still play GTA III ( mostly for the mindless, cartoon-like violence that I can inflict upon " innocent " bystanders ) :D .

[ June 05, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

CMBB (natch - altho I'm off it a bit of late.)

Half-Life mods: Day of Defeat, Natural Selection, Team Fortress Classic, Counterstrike sometimes.

Currently playing thru Mechcommander 2, Mechwarrior 4, and MW4 Black Knight simultaneously.

WOULD be playing:

BF1942, cept I don't have cable.

Motor City Online, cept they don't accept Mastercard. :mad:

Wow, theres actually someone else who plays Rebellion! PBEM? :D

Heh, heh, glad to see someone else suffering from the ol' Imperialism addiction. I was on it like crack for awhile....good while it lasted.

Other than CMBB? Nothing much these days. Nothing else really holds my interest anymore. I blame BFC. I actually enjoyed Warcraft II, and Starcraft, then BOOM...Combat Mission comes along and I realize it's all a big steamin' pile of crap by comparison.

I did EU II for a good while, between BO and BB, and I have done a lot of HOI, but that was (and still is) beta testing and not really "playing." But then I hardly count CMBB as "playing" either.

Otherwise, it's brief returns to MOHAA for a few minutes of mindless shooting, although I recently fired up Planescape and found it still held it's own. Any RPG players who haven't played it should give it a try...the best of teh Baldur's Gate series by far. It actually has an intense story (remember those? they used to be found in movies and games and such), instead of, say, an evil artifact wielded by a madman, raising a goblin horde to destroy civilization...

Aside from CMBB, I've been playing some of the HPS Panzer Campaigns games to get that operational-level fix.

On an even larger scale, Europa Universalis II is patched almost to perfection now--a real classic. (Still waiting for a decent patch for Hearts of Iron though!)

IL-2 Forgotten Battles is the king of all flight sims.

Games I'm waiting for:

All-American: the 82nd Airborne in Normandy

UFO Aftermath (spiritual succesor to X-Com!)

maybe the new edition of Airborne Assault

Steel Beasts 2

Operation Flashpoint 2