What games do you play besides Combat Misson?

Soldiers,

Originally posted by Nippy:

P.S. - LMG in 1.3! Free AP40!

LOL... How many times have I heard THAT.

Having a mac, I can't play computer games :D

But really, I play:

WWIIonline (best WWII first person shooter)

CC A Bridge To Far (second RTS game only to Command And Conquer Tiberuim Dawn)

Myth 2 (kicks the **** out of Warcraft)

Marathon 2 (beats the pants off of 'Halo')

Then you can toss in:

MOHAA (so stupid its fun)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Operation Flashpoint is an old fav, but I'm waiting for Flash2 to come out now. There's too many things wrong with the original but it's still a good blast from time to time.

I like the Medal of Honour series, and am especially looking forward to the Pacific game.

GTA - Vice City is excellent stress relief. Thoroughly recommended. Looks and plays good on the pc too.

Day of Defeat - pretty cool online WWII stuff.

I'm waiting for Half-Life 2. This looks awesome.

Currently Playing:

CMBO, CMBB

America's Army:Operations - excellent Multiplayer FPS, realistic, and best of all FREE!

Rise of Nations (Demo): if you liked Age of Empires then you should love this, I'll pick this up soon.

Looking forward to:

CMAK, CMX2

Battlefield Command - as mentioned, it looks amazing and is being developed by the same team who created IL2. I look at it as being everything GIC wanted to be plus 100% more. I have high hopes for this one...I believe it is still a year away.

Call of Duty - WWII FPS from the team that created MOH:AA but now with Activision. I have read it is more intense than MOH:AA and squad based. I really enjoyed MOH:AA so look forward to this one, due this Fall.

Besides CMBB:

Freelancer

Blitzkrieg

MOO3(The new patch makes a huge difference)

Medieval:Total War

Shogun:Total War

Neverwinter Nights

Age of Mythology

Empire Earth

Hearts Of Iron

Europa Universalis 2

Sim City 4

Star Fleet Command 2,Orion Pirates and 3(I have to play them,I beta test for Taldren).

CMBO

CIV3

Biggest dissapointment:

Rise of Nations. I had it for 2 days,could never even get to the menu screen. Game kept freezing after the intro...and from what I've seen scanning various RON forums it is apparently one of the buggiest games ever released. I traded it in for Blitzkrieg.

It's only CMBB and CMBO (increasngly rare) for me now. Anybody got an opinon on the soon(?) to be released "Eric Yound's Squad Assault"? It's a redo of the failed (bombed is actually a better word) GI Combat game. I like the idea of using individual soldiers, plus you will be able to mod it down to the unit shoulder patches worn by the troops. GI Combat originally came from those Close Combat guys. CC was my first foray into PC games. Then came the VERY good Talonsoft Campaign series. I still have Rising Sun loaded but can't get back into watching each unit shoot or move, one at a time.

CC made me put away my cardboard games (Advanced Squad Leader), East Front/West Front/Rising Sun made me forget CC, CM made me forget EF/WF...

Hmmm, will anything make me put away my CM games?

I kinda bought the computer after my brother showed me his new game called CMBO.

We played eachother.

He showed me UNREAL TOURNAMENT.

And wow that game i really digged.

But only played on instagib and preferably only last man standing (where its game for me has found its purest and skilliest form) But best time there were the 56k days, now its chaos due to the big ping differences, and maybe also bigger computer and screen differences.

I played SIMCITY-3 alot and i made alot of maps for cmbo (up to a 100 but never posted, and for CMBB)

RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN was a really nice single player (playing it for the 3rd time atm)

MEDAL OF HONOR-allied assault is ok but now a days i only play that with my brother on some easy going nights.(big fun 1v1) Online its been messed up due to realism mods: ping and camping does al the trick now.... AND DAMN I NEEDS TO DO ME SOME RUNNING !!!!!...

snif snif; im so having me a cold turkey atm !!!

;)smile.gif

[ June 09, 2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

Originally posted by Nippy:

Infantry is still running around with nothing but a rifle, SMG, and grenades that have no killing power unless you hit someone with them. Oh, but they are getting knifes. No LMGs or Bazooka's in sight though.

Isn't WWIIOnline set in the conquest of France, 1940? Having Bazookas and Fausts back then might be rather arcade-ish. But no ATR's in the game either, I think.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nippy:

Infantry is still running around with nothing but a rifle, SMG, and grenades that have no killing power unless you hit someone with them. Oh, but they are getting knifes. No LMGs or Bazooka's in sight though.

Isn't WWIIOnline set in the conquest of France, 1940? </font>

WW2O has taken up most of my time for the last year or so. I've got CMBB here but besides playing the odd scenario, I can't get back into it. If only I was unemployed ;)

Nippy has some common gripes about ww2o but I think they are generally unfair given the unfinished state of the game and the direction the developers have taken it.

The abondoning of historical timelines is due to each side now being able to control its R&D and Production. Therefore, it is possible to produce pieces of kit much earlier in the war than occurred historically. Of course, to do this you must first sacrifice development in other areas. Same goes with production levels, high commands can go for maximum amounts of heavy tanks, but that reduces the numbers of lighter ones considerably. It makes sense to me because it opens up lots of "what-if" scenarios.

There are many complaints of "balance" and they are natural considering simulation of the early war's crushing defeats by the axis forces will be very boring if you play allied... ergo, there are many axis players that resent balance, but they are important to the games survival.

Terrain isn't complete and there are lots of missing units, but honestly if you look at the game now and compare it to the originally released version you wouldn't even recognise it... and its only getting better. Unfortunately, that means CMBB stays on the shelf for a bit longer, but thems the breaks, I'll be back here one day.

If you've looked at ww2o in the past, I recommend checking it out again soon, once "Deployment" is in place. Deployment will mean army groups running around the map instead of loaded spawns at every town, it will make the game very interesting.

edit - oh yeah the french have been given US lend lease gear as there is no data for post BoF equipment, aka P40 and the stuart coming soon.

[ June 11, 2003, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Sir Uber General ]

Only 2 of us playing Close Combat still eh?

CC5 is the only other game that I have on my comp and I'm playing the Gold Juno Sword mod. What a beautiful mod-it totally revitalizes the CC5 game.

NHL 2K3 is currently taking up most of my gaming time. I'm trying to get the Leafs into the playoffs on the All Star difficulty setting (well actualy I played the first 15 games on normal).

What a great game. If you love hockey and own a console and are tired of the silly arcady hockey games put out by that other company, then pick up 2K3 and prepare to be amazed-it's like...actually real hockey!

Battles of Napoleon (Yup, the old DOS game. Runs good on my old 386 laptop!)

I finally got "X-COM UFO Defence" running on my 2.0GHZ comp with Windows XP. Talk about bringing back memories! One of the few games I've played that shows the interations between what happens on the battle field and what happens in the planning room.

Originally posted by Canuck:

NHL 2K3 is currently taking up most of my gaming time. [Edited out all references to that whiny team from Ontario, you know, not the one that plays in Ottawa] What a great game. If you love hockey and own a console and are tired of the silly arcady hockey games put out by that other company, then pick up 2K3 and prepare to be amazed-it's like...actually real hockey!

I may have to pick it up, if it is available for GameCube, hee hee

Originally posted by nikib:

Squad Battles - Korea, Eagles Strike, Vietnam, Tour of Duty

Campaign - Wagram, Napolean on Russia, 1776, 1812, Corinth

Links 2003

Also just purchased Campaign Ozark - though still waiting for delivery.

How do you like Links 2003? I have 2001 which I just love, and wanted to update but just can't get into the animated golfers. Why would they go away from actual video's of the golfers to cartoon looking charactures? EA sports Tiger Woods did the same thing.

Sorry, back to the list.... :D

Nothing myself except CMBO and soon to be playing CMBB. I just have no interest in anything else and haven't for the past 3 years Plus. Sad, I know, no it's not sad other games just don't cut it for me anymore. These are the ones for me. Thanks BFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just deleted Enemy Territory from my computer as a measure of self-protection! It simply became too addictive and the 'just one more game' factor really destroyed this weekend! I know what to do in such a case: compensate my weak character with the delete command!!!!

For those who have not heard about it: it is basically a full-blown multiplayer shooter based on the Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine, set in WW II, with 6 different maps to play on! How they release something as perfect as this FOR FREE is beyond me, but why complain!!

Try it, but do not blame me for the effect ...

Regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

I may have to pick it up, if it is available for GameCube, hee hee

If you own a GC then you might have a hard time finding it. I think it's pretty darn rare on the GC. Heck I own a PS2 and I had to order it on Ebay because none of the stores had it. I suggest you do the same. And you'd better hurry because 2k4 isnt coming out for the GC so this is your last chance ;)

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

I just deleted Enemy Territory from my computer as a measure of self-protection! It simply became too addictive and the 'just one more game' factor really destroyed this weekend! I know what to do in such a case: compensate my weak character with the delete command!!!!

For those who have not heard about it: it is basically a full-blown multiplayer shooter based on the Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine, set in WW II, with 6 different maps to play on! How they release something as perfect as this FOR FREE is beyond me, but why complain!!

Try it, but do not blame me for the effect ...

Regards,

Thomm

Oh how I wish you hadn't of mentioned this game! What a blast! That flamethrower is hilarious!

Had the lot of usual team killers, but you can vote with everyone else to kick that person so it somewhat quickly gets rid of them.

Get it here: Some frag festive, WWII themed, highly unrealistic but bloody fun game

Apart from CMBB, I usually play Tribes 2. I also have SPWAW and the Fallout series on my computer, but I don't play them all that much.

I also played Operation Flashpoint and RtCW quite a lot at one point; the former really needs a good team to play with and the physics are silly (rubberball UAZ's are cute, though) and the latter is annoyingly unrealistic especially in the MP mode (people should not be able to jump through a flamethrower blast as if nothing had happened, apart from losing a few hit points).

[ June 16, 2003, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]