What games do you play besides Combat Misson?

Originally posted by Malakovski:

Heh, heh, glad to see someone else suffering from the ol' Imperialism addiction. I was on it like crack for awhile....good while it lasted.

Plays fairly nicely, doesn't it? Almost the right amount of complexity so that it isn't quite mindless, yet I don't feel like I need to spend half an hour figuring out each turn. Imp II was nice, but I think they went a bit too far in adding complexity. And anyway, I like the time period of Imp I better for that kind of game. I wish somebody would go back and redo Imp I, removing the bugs and correcting the conceptual errors, but I don't expect that to happen.

Michael

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beside CMBO & CMBB I find myslef playing the following;

Uncommon Valor

TOAW ACOW

Splinter Cell

Hitman 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Looking forward to;

Silent Storm (could be great, could SUCK)

Pirates of the Caribbean

Hidden & Dangerous 2 (if it ever comes out)

Republic the Revolution

Korsun Pocket

Half Life 2

Thief 3

UFO Aftermath

Harpoon 4 (could happen ;)

-e

Didn't you see the smoke? ;) I burned all my other games the day after CMBO and CMBB arrived in the mail.

Alright I'll admit to a few rounds of Freecell here and there. And a some Bejeweled on the palm pilot.

Before the CD sacrifice it was Medal of Honor, Empire Earth, WarCraft3, many others.

I actually found CMBO/CMBB while searching for TACOPs. A game I had played in the late nineties when it was on MAC only.

Six months of nothing but CMBO/CMBB. :D

Hardly any others anymore ... but I do have

IL-2 Sturmovik installed.

Just removed OFP and Ghost Recon last week as I cant remember when I last played them.

Waiting for the long overdue (almost mythical) release date of Harpoon 4 - they say it should be later this year, but they've been saying that since 2000 :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and who could forget windows solitaire and Freecell :D

A lot of Vice City and CMBO (I prefer BO single player although I play both PBEM)

Been trying europa universalis 2 but cant get my head around it.

Loads of medieval total war a few months back.

Also looking forward to Harpoon4, really enjoyed Janes Fleet command but its seems to not work very well on my new machine.

Nice suggestions ,

I´m playing CMBB ( got eight PBEMS running ), suck on it though ... :D

Then theres ...

IL2FB ( the BEST WW2 flightsim )

Galactic Civilisations ( when I´m not playing CMBB I play this , really tough AI and a support like here !)

Hearts of Iron ( WW2 on a strategic scale, the whole world can be played )

and ( drumroll ) ... good ole Diablo 2 with Mrs. Scheer on our LAN.

Other than CMBO -

BF 1942 (can't believe no-one mentioned this yet)

C+C Generals (just love using the GLA suicide Bombers)

I have played most of the games already mentioned in the past (very pleased to notice a few Jagged Alliance 2 fans out there, a firm favourite with me), and was at one point severely addicted to Sudden Strike, especially on-line Mplay.

I would like to add my heart felt thanks to my girlfriend Karen, who on moving in last Oct, curtailed all my gaming and allows me only one night a week for (as she likes to refer to it) Uber Geeking..... *sob* *sob* *sigh* :(

Beside CMBB there is only place for Il2 Sturmovik, Hearts of Iron (very rarly because it is full of bugs still) and here and there Uncommon Valor (lost its appeal after playing it for some time).

I look forward to Squad Assault: Western Front of Eric Young. He has shown that he can do some good work.....and do some big crap (GIC - but that is probably mainly the fault of the publishers....hopefully).

Regards

Uwe

It's pretty much CMBB for me right now, all the games I want aren't out yet.

CMBO stays on the hard drive as a unit reference. OFP and IL2 survive for the simple fact that I am learning Russian and all the Russian speach in said games makes for great pratice...as does CMBB :D

Alothough I wish the Invasion44 and Liberation41-45 mods would hurry up and come out. It might get me playing OFP again.

Saddly, Soldiers of Anarchy was finally deleated off my hard drive. Low players numbers, no random mission generator, and no web site setup to host user made missions cut the replay value way down.

As for up-and-coming games:

Silent Storm

Republic the Revolution

UFO Aftermath (Will it succeed where Soldiers of Anarchy failed?)

OFP 2

Steel Beasts 2 (I want my T-72 lovin!)

Half Life 2 (I'll buy it some time in 2009, when I have the rig to run it)

As for CMAK, I still don't know. I love the East from more than the West and CMAK doesn't seem to be the big leap forward that CMBB was.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Okay, thanks. But that doesn't tell me anything about why it was dropped from BFC's lineup.

Michael

It's been a few months back but IIRC that they just left to another publisher. No agro just a business opportunity. All sides wished each other well.

Do a search on it, there were two threads on it when it happened.

Aside from the CM series I occasionally indulge in a little SC and CIV III. I can't even fanthom firing up any other computer game.

As far as boardgames go I enjoy playing Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico and of course The Hammer of the Scots.

Here we go, being a bit of an all round gamer, although CMBB is my top game, mainly PBEM's, here are some of the others I play while waiting for my opponents to send a turn:-

Championship Manager 4

Empire Earth

Age of Mythology

Tropico 2

Stronghold Crusader

Cossacks(Not very often)

Sad, but true, I'm still a big kid at heart :D

I spend a lot of time modding, so I only have time for one game besides CMBB: Civ3. Actually, the Double Your Pleasure mod (which is the one I'm working on - apart from ROQC). Civ3 in itself is rather boring however. DyP turns it into what it should have been as far as possible within the limitations of the editor and game engine.

Originally posted by Schoerner:

I play CMBB only.

Waiting for CMAK.

@Michael Emrys:

you can find info about Airborne Assault in THG's special about wargames here:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/game/20030510/ww2-01.html

I loved this part from that site when reveiwing Airborne Assault.

It's September 1944. Under the plan devised by British General "Monty" Montgomery, the allies launch Operation Market Garden, the biggest airborne operation of all time, aimed at capturing the bridges across the Rhine. While the U.S. 30th Armored Corps rolls through the Netherlands to meet them, British, Polish, and American paratroops are supposed to secure a passage as far as the last bridge: the bridge at Arnhem, near Eindhoven. The Americans succeed in capturing their targets and holding them until the land forces arrive, but the First Parachute Division of the British Army holding the bridgehead is decimated (only 2293 survivors out of 10,000 men), and the Division is forced to abandon the fight after nine days, though it was only supposed to hold the bridge for two days!

Just a very slight rewrite of history here. The way this reveiw is written one would swear that it was virtually an all American show with the Brit's being bit players. To top it off, it would appear the British First Airborne were not up to snuff the way they failed to hold their objective while the U.S. forces did their bit with ease.

:rolleyes:

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Just a very slight rewrite of history here.

Yes, you'd think European reviewers would be better versed in battles that took place "over there." I hope not too many people rely on that site for their history lessons.

I finally picked up Medieval: Total War last week, so I'm getting into that. Trying to finish long-running games of Jagged Alliance 2 and Starship Troopers, too (stop laughing). When CMBB goes in the drive, it's usually to design scenarios that will never be good enough for release, rather than to actually play.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Just a very slight rewrite of history here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you'd think European reviewers would be better versed in battles that took place "over there." I hope not too many people rely on that site for their history lessons.

Still can't beat the British reviewer Mr. "Where are my powerups!" who did a CMBB writeup and talked about things like the battle of Kursk in 42' and the T-34 being equal to all German tanks right up to the end of the war.

Back to war gaming, was Blitzkreig by Nival any good?

TacOps 4.

TOAW-CoW.

I'm trying to get the hang on Steel Beasts (in preparation for SB2) and i might like SPMBT although I;m already put of by tanks which cannot reverse.

Can someone explain to me how Medal of Honor and BF1942 compare? I really lost touch with the FPS crowd.

Originally posted by Tweety:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Okay, thanks. But that doesn't tell me anything about why it was dropped from BFC's lineup.

Michael

It's been a few months back but IIRC that they just left to another publisher. No agro just a business opportunity. All sides wished each other well.

Do a search on it, there were two threads on it when it happened. </font>