Rumblings Of War III: A Boots & Tracks CMBB Tourney

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

:eek: Is it too late to join?

Lt Bull

Send Treeburst 155 an email with signup as the subject and your forum name in the body. I think you might be just in time. Top of the waiting list is also a very good position, since there are inevitably dropouts early on as people weight their real world commitments.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The signup list has been updated (see the first post to this thread). I updated it twice in 15 minutes actually, because I forgot to check my email before the first time.

If you have sent me a signup email, check the list for your name. In TWELVE HOURS, the ROW newbies will be assigned ALL the remaining slots. As it is now, there will be some new guys who miss out. They will be placed on the ALWAYS tapped Replacement List.

Treeburst155 out.

The player list for ROW III is set forth below (barring any withdrawals, of course). You will all receive an email. There are seven ROW newbies who signed up too late. They have been put on the replacement list. They will also receive an email. Tourney vets who sign up for this tourney from here on out will NOT have priority over these seven. They will have to take a place at the bottom of the waiting list.

The Rumblings of War III Player List

1) JAT

2) Grog Dorosh

3) Redwolf

4) Frunze

5) Cpl Carrot

6) Combined Arms

7) mPisi

8) Bimmer

9) a1steaks

10) Spanish Bombs

11) Thumpre

12) Tuomas

13) TABPUB

14) Mikeydz

15) Holien

16) Juha A

17) Pixelmaster

18) jjelinek

19) Tero

20) The_Capt

21) Ted

22) Bertram

23) Vader's Jester

24) Fate

25) Jon_L

26) Mick_OZ

27) John Kettler

28) Kanonier Reichmann

29) MrSpkr

30) TexasToast

31) U8led

32) Cpt T

33) Kunstler

34) Enoch

35) Jeb

36) Scheer

37) Vadr

38) Heavy Drop

39) JPS

40) Sgt_Gold

41) Gunnersman

42) WadePM

43) Lord Dragon

44) Ron A

45) Ali

46) Ari Maenpaa

ROW Newbies admitted:

47) Nidan1

48) Frontovik

49) Red 6

50) Frenchy

51) Legend42

52) Cyrano

53) Jaws

54) Determinant

55) Sgt CDAT

56) Seahawk

57) Dave Turner

58) Space Hamster

59) Sripe

60) Joakim Ruud

61) James Crowley

62) SlicerW

63) Nolloff

64) Steve Fielding

65) StoneAge

66) Joe Cz

67) Souljah1

68) SuperSlug

69) Ryddle

70) Major Victory

71) Flammenwerfer

72) Wellsonian

Replacement List:

1) Zealotburner

2) Major Green

3) endit

4) Javaslinger

5) Lt Bull

6) Deadly 88

7) Shocktrooper

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by THumpre:

Not if you are playing me, I believe I hold the record for nastiest beating taken in a ROW tourney :D [/QB]

You underestimate me. Just the other day I suffered a major defeat against the AI-controlled Germans in a 1250 points QB. I spent the full 1250 points on my Russians and manually purchased 1 Panzerschreck and a truck for the Germans. Maybe I should have set the German casualty level to 50% ... :confused:

Great to be aboard for my third ROW tourney and to be reuniting over the battlefield with my old adversaries of ROW I! Cool all around!

Now a question. Are we going with variable turn lengths or fixed? I'd like to make an argument for tourney purposes to go with fixed turn lengths. My experience with the variable system suggests that game length can vary by as many as six turns under the variable system. In a medium sized scenario, that can be a tremendous difference. One attacker might have 25 moves to succeed with his attack. Another might have 31. My experience with CMBB suggests that gamey flag rushes are very much less of an issue. Every attacker needs as much time as he can possibly get. And flag rushes are harder to manage in CMBB anyway because you can't just tell infantry--"cross those 100 yards of open ground in this one turn," and expect them to do it.

So, all in all, I think there's more fairness to be achieved by tourney-saved games with fixed lengths (maybe 28 turns if the variable version was 25+) than by suppressing the flag rush thorugh a variable length version.

What do others think?

I've added three more names to the replacement list. They are:

1) Sgt Abell

2) White4

3) Ace Pilot

Combined Arms,

Hmmm.....very interesting. I don't know if the designers have any variable ending scenarios planned for us or not. The fact that a game can go into "overtime" is not a problem IMO. The fact that this overtime can be VARIABLE introduces more luck into the battle. This is the issue, if there is one.

Hehe....we have variable endings to deal with flag rushes by weak forces. The flip-side is that a late rush of even an insignificant flag can buy the attacker VALUABLE time. In fact, the attacker could leave a flag unoccupied that he has full control over, and "rush" it in the last turn, just to buy more time for himself. Hehe....I wonder if this works.

Maybe some Boots & Tracks guys will chime in here. I'll have to think about this one for awhile.

EDIT: I just did it. I rushed a flag on the second to last turn that was fully behind my lines and got the variable ending. This is something I need to make sure the Boots & Tracks guys aware of.

Treeburst155 out.

[ December 11, 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

The tourney scenarios will NOT have variable endings. I just talked to Boots & Tracks Leader, Scott Boston.

Treeburst155 out.

Will we be allowed to deploy and command our own troops at least? :D

ps. is this just a scenario thingie? I just finished a QB minor vic and it ended right on 30.

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by White4:

woo hoo! on the list! now to try and emulate Cpl Carrot, who was on the replacement list and then handed me my ass on a platter..

Your's too? Interesting.

I think he was the major Wolf in a Sheepskin in RoW II (with me the other way round...)</font>