Guess I'm too dumb to learn this game:(

Dear Moderator (or other merciful, knowledgable, experienced player willing to give a few tips)

Hello. I Hope you can help me. I eagerly bought this game (CMBB), but am utterly confounded at how to get started even after reading the first half of the manual (I figured the parts about designing scenarios could be skipped for now). I fear that I may never get to experience the greatness of this game that is so ballyhooed in reviews. I am veteran of the Close Combat Series of gaming (especially CC 3), but am just returning to wargaming after a four year hiatus. I thought that my learning curve for CMBB would be reasonably short, because of my experience playing many different WWII-era RTS and turn-based computer games (notwithstanding that CM is said to be a revolutionary new combat system), but I am completely lost. When I try to play even a simple scenario, I find it hard to even make contact with the enemy. Review sites have given universal acclaim to the thoroughness and ease of undderstanding of your robust instruction manual, so I feel like all the more of an idiot. My desperate question to you is whether there is any kind of tutorial or orientation-walk through mod/guidebook for the uninitiated? I did not find any such tool included with the game (Special Edition-North American) and I have serached online for something designed by an experienced player, but alas I haven't found anything.

My second problem is with the display. I know that it is unreasonable for me to expect DOOM 3-Half Life-2 quality graphics on this type of historical game, but my resolution when running the game is awful. I can barely make out the fact that the blobs I am looking at are soldiers and to a lesser degree vehicles. The view doesn't look 3-D at all. They are so small and 'blobby', no detail whatsoever, almost unplayable/undiscernible. What am I doing wrong? I'm obviously missing something, because the picture on my monitor is not even remotely as detailed as some of the screenshots on the gamebox and on websites and the included mods. I mean the way I have it now, the game looks far cruder than even the first two installments of the old CLose Combat series. I try to adjust the settings but can't find any options for tweaking in the game interface. I have a new computer with a modern graphics card. Any assistance or advice you can give this wannnabe player would be greatly appreciated. I hope for your reply at your convenience. I just want to get started with the game.

sturm,

I believe the resolution is related to your desktop resolution. So, if you are using 800x600, you will get that in the game. I use 1280x1024 and it looks good. Anti-aliasing can also help a lot if you have the graphics power and that option with your card. The individual soldiers are pretty blocky, but the vehicles should be sharp and detailed! Keep in mind that the squads and teams composed of individual troops are representative only, more like glorified icons than anything.

Making contact with the enemy is part of the challenge when playing with 'extreme' fog-of-war option (only way to play IMHO). Try playing some games with you on the defense at first. The enemy will come get you. smile.gif

You can use the mouse to do practically everything, and the keys you need to know are all listed by clicking the 'hotkey' button from within the game interface (bottom center). Learning the game while playing is half the fun!

There's a Preference file in your Combat Mission directory that is created on the first time you run the game. Now, delete this, and launch the game. The game should test video modes available. What do you have available? If there is only 'software mode 640x480' or such, there might be a problem with video driver.

As to 'getting in', first you should not use Extreme FOW as it only makes things harder to understand. Full or limited FOW is better for a beginner. Learning to defend is easier than learning to attack.

You may also find the units harder to see if you have bases off, and the units small size. Try the menu commands shift-c a couple times to make units larger. shift-b toggles units on and off.

There are also extensive "mods" available to tweak the look of various vehicles, terrain features, equipment, etc. But it sounds like you have a more basic display problem to deal with first. Which might be as simple as having the camera stuck in a long overhead view.

On learning to play the game, try starting a Quick Battle with armor only forces at first, with a relatively low point total. You will get a small map and just a few tanks to drive around. It is a good way to learn the basics of the interface.

Then try the same thing but with infantry only, to learn the basic infantry commands. You might defend the first time, it is easier than attacking for a new player.

In general, right clicking on things brings up menus of possible commands. Eventually you will know them all and just type the letter shortcut, but while getting started you can select from the menus.

It is helpful to know the number keys change your basic view elevation (you might be stuck on a particular view e.g.). Try 3 or 4, those are elevated but angled views (not overhead). Tab centers on a selected unit, facing the way it is facing. + and - keys step through your units. The mouse can be used to operate the camera movement controls on the panel below and to the right.

Left clicking on units selects them. Hitting enter brings up unit statistics, probably more advanced than you need right now but you will want it before long.

Understand three basic things about the sequence of play and mechanics. It is a "We Go" system, meaning both sides plot their moves, then both execute for one minute simultaneously. There are no control interventions during that minute. This is called "a movie", you watch it using the VCR style controls on the lower control panel. When it is over select "done" and you get a new orders phase before the next minute. When you have plotted your moves you press "go" on the controls to execute the next minute.

Two, there is a "waypoint" movement system. You select a unit, select the form of move ("fast", "hunt", "advance", "move" etc), and then click anywhere on the map as your destination. You get a white square where you clicked. You can pick that up and drag it around with the mouse to change the exact destination. Click again and you add another waypoint. Chain them together to turn etc. Extra waypoints increase the "command delay" before you move out, but don't effect the move itself.

Three, there is a "Tactical AI" which makes decisions during the minute of execution, about things like what to shoot at or whether to hit the deck. If you give only movement commands it will handle everything else. Not necessarily optimally, but to get started you can restrict yourself to plotting moves. Later you will want to override some of its decisions with manual target orders, covered arcs, and the like. But your units will function with just "you go here", from you.

I hope this helps. Dive in to a couple tanks vs. a couple tanks and get used to the controls first.

Hi Sturm

I'd echo the above points and add my own tuppence worth!

My first few battles in CM were a totally confusing and chaotic experience - a bit like combat except I was'nt scared and did'nt get killed! Just as well it is only a game.

I'd suggest as the others have above, to play small quick battles with few units and Fog OfWar (FOW - you can set this in the penultimate QB menu that will come up after chossing quick battle) set to 'none' or 'partial' That should let you see what the enemy AI is up to.

Playing at this level of FOW though is OK to learn the ropes, but the real buzz, and the more realistic IMHO, comes after mastering the basics when you start playing with extreme! Nothing beats gaily trundling along down a road to then have your units minced by an ambush!

Best of luck smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

The Manual I have has two tutorials, one basic and one advanced, although the advanced on doesn't really teach you much from what I could see.

Never the less, playing through the basic tutorial from the manual was very helpful in figuring out the rudimentary stuff around moving and attacking.

This game isn't like the RTS games you've played in the past. On offensive, you will want to probe and feint to find the enemy.

And don't forget to set the covered arcs of your units (C Key) and make sure they are facing the direction you expect to see the enemy in. Use the "O" key to rotate a unit in the direction you want it to face.

I think I have had the opposite reaction to the game so far. My first few short games were far too easy to win, I suspect because of years of playing table top miniatures with a judge/game master to create the Fog of War. I really like the overall play of this game, and the larger scenarios have proven to be quite challenging.

Good luck.

In addition to all of the above it helps if you don't play it like a game. Play like your infantry are real men. Don't expect them to run for 20 minutes or to sit on top of a hill and be shot at.

Left click on one of them. Now hit tab. You're now behind and above them, if you press the 2 on your number keys above the keyboard you will be 10m over their head.

On the advance, look to where you think the enemy is and plan where to go to get there, avoiding high ground, keeping to cover etc.

Cover is anything that will stop bullets coming in (different from concealment which just stops them being seen) like trees or rocks or a dip in the ground.

Now select "move to contact" and set your waypoints on those pieces of cover, just do the next 100m or so, you can add more in the next orders phase. If the unit comes under fire, change the orders to "advance" to the next piece of cover.

That's what you're going to do for each unit but you need to do that after you've taken a good look over the battlefield and seen where you think the most of this cover is and planned your advance through there.

This will get you towards the enemy and hopefully within spotting distance of the shooter. What you need to do now is bring up your heavy HE (High Explosive) shooting weapons to hit where you think the shooter is to suppress them and allow your infantry closer.

On the defense, do the same from the attacking point of view and try to think where you would advance through. Now get MG's, mortars, artillery etc to have line of sight (LOS) to places on that path.

Your shooters should be able to see the path from the side, so that when the attacker brings up his HE chuckers, they have to advance from the back of the map to do so. If they can see where you're shooting from from the back of the map, that's where they'll stay and they will kill you. You want them close to bring them into effective range of your weapons that will kill them.

The thing that generally throws HE is tanks. HE will kill from anywhere because it's the explosion that kills but with most things that kill tanks you need to still have the shell travelling fast, therefore it's range dependant.

So when on the defense you want the attacker to come to pre-arranged areas where they can be shot at by your anti-tank guns.

That's the basics really. It's the use of combined arms that's the real key to victory in this game.

You'll love it, eventually.

The first couple of month I had the same feeling of frustration, but because this game seemed (and is) excellent but very difficult at first. Loving Games Workshop Tabletop wargaming CM was just what I wanted, but compared to other computer games, this game is not made to make the player feel good and entertained, but to test your 100% from the beginning.

Yes, I admit. 2 years ago I couldn't beat the AI unless I was defending at 'cementary hill', but then I started reading posts at these Forums. Today I have ~500 mB saved treads on my hard disk (like an offline 'Anthology of Useful Posts II' from the 'Tips and Tricks' forum.) and I can fully enjoy the complexity of this game.

So read and study as much as possible (I can also recommend MZO), this game is worth it.

Hm; - you just gave me an idea of 'tutoring' CM, that I'll post in the 'Tips and Tricks'.

One more trick to improve spotting turn-off the trees and smoke/dust.

Shift-t adjusts the tree setting through 4 levels from extreme to off. During the setup/planning phase turn them on. This helps you know where to hide and to see the avenues of advance. But when your looking for the bad guys turn them off.

In a very busy battle the smoke and dust makes it harder to look all around. Turn them off to see, then turn them on for the eye candy of the game.

Good advice about turning off trees and other clutter. However, something I learned quick is that you should occasionally turn the trees ON. If you leave them off all the time, you might forget where the cover is when you move your units. Nothing worse than moving along thinking you have cover, only to realize you moved your force in the open, and got shot up for it.

Sturm,

You have a ton of good advice here, maybe more than you wanted. How is it going so far? Did working on the graphics help?

On playing the game, does it help to think of them as real men with all the limitations (getting tired, getting scared, panicking)?

What are you experiencing now? The more specific your comments, the more they can help get you up and running.

The first thing is, and I know this might be stating the obvious, but what view setting are you using? It almost sounds as if you're zoomed right out.

The second point is, try a small, say 500 point, battle, playing as attacker, and in the setup phase take a look around the map, using the different view heights.

Note the position of the flag/s. Look for good approach routes. In general you want to find approaches that provide concealment. You can add further considerations as you become more experienced.

For now, learn to read the maps.

Then when you have some kind of plan, position your force in the setup phase ready to implement it, and move off from there. You probably won't make contact for a while, but the more you approach the flag/s, the greater the likelihood of contact becomes.

To summarise, start small, preferably with QB's, and take it slowly and move on to greater things when you're more comfortable with the core concepts.

sturmgrenadier,

Sirocco's suggestion is an excellent one. Therefore, permit me to commend to your attention

A Warm Place to Sleep (standard CMBB scenario), which I just finished and is my first complete battle in CMBB since the Beta Demo. The unit count's low, the forces diverse, and the tactical situation interesting and frighteningly true to life. Take the Russians on the attack. Have fun!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

If there are still any to be had, I highly recommend you order yourself a copy of the CMBB STRATEGY GUIDE

(in the Product area of the main site here). It should be a huge help to you in all sorts of ways.

Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin

Strategy Guide 2nd Edition

NOTE:

This item is currently out of print. In the very near future, a downloadable PDF file version will be offered for sale. Check back for details and availability.

Once or twice in frustration I've selected ALL my forces at once and with a single command simply marched them in a straight line in the general direction of the enemy. To my great surprise my 'non-tactics' turned out better than expected! I eventually located the enemy, my units weren't dispersed, not many died and I was quickly able to reestablish some hands-on control.

The moral to the story is playing the game is as hard or as simple as you make it.